Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 2nd October 2014, 01:34 AM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
NPG.

I admire your loyalty to our ex singer. You have been very supportive of him and I respect that. No vitriol, just a quiet belief in your judgement.

fair enough.

But sometimes loyalty can fly in the face of reality, and this is just such an occasion.

By any criteria that was a poor performance. There's no shame in that.

I saw a re-run of a gig we did for the montreux festival. It was pretty poor. It happens sometimes. I'm not blaming anyone in particular. The whole band failed to rise to the occasion.

The performance on jools holland was very weak. The band were competent but uninspiring. Aldi's voice sounded thin, the backing singer made no impression, and astro didn't do anything.

But the most telling thing was the look on their faces. Everyone on stage looked so glum. There was absolutely no joy in that performance. It was unsure, weak, bland and hesitant.

Sometimes, despite wishful thinking you have to admit what is in front of your face.

Even your message 'good performance' is unconvincing.

what he said.......

VIEW ALL UBTV CLIPS via link below...

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheInsideEye?feature=mhum
Old 2nd October 2014, 08:18 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by npg View Post
good performance!
you views are very strange npg. i know you want everything to be hunky dory but but the faded ex singer is no longer well how can i put this a solo artist. without robin and ub40 he is is very poor. ub40 were carrying him for so long i noticed it at concerts but my loyalty to ub40 was just that.Wyff was a great album and yes his vocals were his best for a long time but that was it. since then he has missed the band terribly and vocally has deteriorated. The bloke who is supposed to harmonise does not help him at all. So if you like his music which i think is as we say it looking through rose tinted glasses or beer goggles that is up to you but you are making yourself out to be stalker

Last edited by old loonie; 2nd October 2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 2nd October 2014, 08:36 AM
UBloonie

it's incredible to said 'it was good or nice'! it was just awful .....
Old 2nd October 2014, 10:11 AM
UB40 Fan

Curiosity got the better of me so gave it a go.
Shockingly awfull! Sounded terrible, no passion and his faced glued to the auto cue was unbelievable. The band looked bored!

If he's going to claim that his brother is a crap singer he better start working on his own performance.

Last edited by Vijay b; 2nd October 2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 2nd October 2014, 12:25 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Burden of shame

Gutted. I was born in 84 in Birmingham and been a life-long fan. Love the band and love Ali in equal measure and continue to listen to and support both.

When forced to choose simply what I like the sound of best, Ali's voice has historically always had the edge for my personal taste.

Until I saw that video. I hate to say it because I love both camps dearly (in terms of the music and sound produced, not commenting on alleged behavior), but the stuff I've been seeing Jimmy say is right - there's no fire in their belly, there's no excitement, no energy, no spark, nothing.

Seeing him read from the auto-cue (and still get it wrong, with a poor delivery) is heartbreaking to see.

It's taken me 6 years to accept that being without his band mates has left a massive, gaping hole.

Last edited by Burden of shame; 2nd October 2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 2nd October 2014, 01:31 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
NPG.

I admire your loyalty to our ex singer. You have been very supportive of him and I respect that. No vitriol, just a quiet belief in your judgement.

fair enough.

But sometimes loyalty can fly in the face of reality, and this is just such an occasion.

By any criteria that was a poor performance. There's no shame in that.

I saw a re-run of a gig we did for the montreux festival. It was pretty poor. It happens sometimes. I'm not blaming anyone in particular. The whole band failed to rise to the occasion.

The performance on jools holland was very weak. The band were competent but uninspiring. Aldi's voice sounded thin, the backing singer made no impression, and astro didn't do anything.

But the most telling thing was the look on their faces. Everyone on stage looked so glum. There was absolutely no joy in that performance. It was unsure, weak, bland and hesitant.

Sometimes, despite wishful thinking you have to admit what is in front of your face.

Even your message 'good performance' is unconvincing.
I havent been loyal really, i only got back into Ali a few months ago, i just like the songs he's been doing and his voice still alright, Silhouette is a nice summer reggae song, very catchy and i like I Want You, reminds me of something circa Promises + Lies. I dunno, i'm not really fussed either way, i like having two lots of one of my favorite bands, i know there's legal issues but as a fan thats not my place to get involved is it. I just like the music!
Old 2nd October 2014, 01:33 PM
UBloonie

Also, it wasn't a lively performance, it was just them standing and singing the song, i don't really mind that to be honest, most acts on Jools give more sedate performances. I mean UB's performance back in 1997 wasn't exactly lively either and no one was smiling but that isn't being mentioned...
Old 2nd October 2014, 01:44 PM
UBloonie

Hmm i'm just making myself look a bit silly posting on here about Ali, i don't mean to stir up trouble i just hate to see each side tearing eachother apart!
Old 2nd October 2014, 02:42 PM
UB40 Band Member

I think there's a difference between 'tearing each other apart' and telling the truth. There is not two sides. We carried on when our singer left. Much to the relief of our fans who have continued to buy tickets. Just because some people chose to take notice of our ex singers lies in the press is their choice, we can't help that. But he can't pretend to be UB40 when he left 7 years ago.
Old 2nd October 2014, 04:25 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
I think there's a difference between 'tearing each other apart' and telling the truth. There is not two sides. We carried on when our singer left. Much to the relief of our fans who have continued to buy tickets. Just because some people chose to take notice of our ex singers lies in the press is their choice, we can't help that. But he can't pretend to be UB40 when he left 7 years ago.

i should know, i've been to lots of the shows with duncan and loved them all, especially the summer 2008 ones, nice setlist with stuff like End of War, Rainbow Nation, Stick By Me, Lost n Found, The Road and Maxi guesting with you.

i do admit Ali shouldnt be using the name but it's because he can sell more tickets by using the name where can. It'd be like you lot changing name and trying to get gigs under a new name, difficult. I think he should go out as 'Ali + astro', then the adverts could maybe say "...from Ub40". I think a few bands have split into two and been called 'blah blah's *insert band name*'. Its a tricky one