Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > General Anarchy

Old 10th April 2009, 09:37 AM
UBloonie

Default Michael Parkinson's thoughts on Jade Goody

This story is from a few days ago:

Michael Parkinson, Britian's top chat show host, has attacked late reality TV star Jade Goody, describing her as "all that's paltry and wretched about Britain" said reports on Thursday.
Goody, 27, died last month of cervical cancer after using the media spotlight to make money for her two sons from her fame, illness and death.

She became a tabloid favourite after appearing on Big Brother in 2002.

Her death saw an outpouring of grief and a procession through the streets of London reported news.com.au.

However her popularity has enraged Parkinson, best-known for his long-running eponymous show.

"Jade Goody has her own place in the history of television and, while it's significant, it's nothing to be proud of,'' Parkinson wrote in Radio Times magazine.

"Her death is as sad as the death of any young person, but it's not the passing of a martyr or a saint or, God help us, Princess Di.

"When we clear the media smokescreen from around her death, what we're left with is a woman who came to represent all that's paltry and wretched about Britain today."
Goody, however, has been lauded by cancer charities and UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown for prompting more young woman to take tests for cervical cancer.

---------------

Well said, Mr. Parkinson!

Old 10th April 2009, 11:42 AM
UB40 Fan

I am disgusted I thought better of Parky!

The girl came from a very deprived background and made good so what if its not the sort of 'good' parky would like to see coming out of this country, how many others from the BB series did so well?

Those boys are going to grow up with no memory of their mother, imagine being an adult with no living memory of a parent coming face to face with such media them. Through her they will be well educated young men have more opportunities than she did at an earlier age but their love for their mother will be tarnished by the negative aspects of her life coverage.

I can take you to a young man of 26 who lost his father at 4 yrs old, both his grandfathers by 5 and his grandmother by 6 1/2 who feels nothing but sorry for her boys. It is people like me and his remaining family who have shaped his view of the family he's lost, he appreciates how difficult it must have been for his mother at 23 to be a widow and mother to a young child with a life threatening heart condition. We've taken him to his gparents house, his fathers spot at the local football club where he was an under 21 professional player, shown him photo's, video footage, shared our memories, the good and bad etc. In his words

'I've been very fortunate my dad died before I was old enough to remember him which saddens me but by god I am soooo glad I don't have to face all the bad press those poor boys will when their time comes'
Old 10th April 2009, 12:29 PM
bobby

im not suprised that someone has actually said it.

i cant say i was the biggest fan of jade, to me she was what she was, famous for being thick. (in the nicest possible way) but what she had to go through, aswell as her family around her i wouldnt wish on my worst enemy. god bless her. RIP.

now the flip side.

not long ago, the paperazzi tried to destroy her for being racist towards shilpa shetty.. now, this is the same paperazzi that, upon her death, dedicated page 2-14 PLUS a 16 page pull-out for a celebration of her life... what a bunch of hypocritical bstards.

yes its sad she`s gone, and my heart goes out to her sons.. but ffs. she wasnt not princess di.
Old 10th April 2009, 10:53 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to littlecrow

I can understand what hes saying.. Although its very bad timing you cant blame him ... the Radio Times magazine didn't have to print it Now !
I feel for the family and all as she also brought awareness about cancer.
The tabloids and media are very much to blame .. they build a person up so its very easy knock them down and vice versa.
Old 10th April 2009, 10:55 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Helena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby

not long ago, the paperazzi tried to destroy her for being racist towards shilpa shetty.. now, this is the same paperazzi that, upon her death, dedicated page 2-14 PLUS a 16 page pull-out for a celebration of her life... what a bunch of hypocritical bstards.
yeah i was thinking that. a few months ago she was their public enemy number one and now they're worshiping her.
Old 11th April 2009, 12:17 PM
UBloonie

Gave this a lot of thought and here is my view:

Bottom line for me is that Big Brother type 'reality' shows represent the dumbing down process. I have always been against the message they send out, especially to the youths but to a surprising number of 'adults too!

Yes, the idea that someone born into a difficult and challenging background can make good with their lives is a fantastic one. Bob Marley did it, countless figures from many walks of life have. Thing is, they accomplished it through grafting hard, developing their talents, shifting their thinking.

Jade Goody didn't represent any of those qualities. Only a buffoon or a media trying to create 'non-news' would elevate her to that degree. She was famous purely because she appeared on that stupid tv show and was "loved" for being trailer trash.

I guess when it comes to "news worthy" stories, some of us are more "worthy" than others, eh? i.e., I wonder how many Iraqi and Afghan families were slaughtered by the British army guns when Jade died? See, I tend not to allow popular tabloid journalism to determine who and what I should cry for, who I should celebrate/hate etc.

The "racism" issue was always a MASSIVE non-starter for me anyway. Typical robot journalists again... Usual ruse.....It's easy to point to isolated incidents of people saying something a bit dodgy than to address the education system that planted the stereotypes in their minds in the first place!

So with all these things considered, Parkinson was right to express what he did and when he did. He was talking about the mass hysteria over someone insignificant, someone presented as being some kind of icon. AN ICON FOR WHO??? I honestly believe folks are so BRAINWASHED by that programme that they fail to see this point. I don't like to see anyone suffer and die but I also will not allow tabloids and Tell-Lie Vision to manipulate my emotions. All they want is to control you.

Old 11th April 2009, 03:56 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to bothsidestory

i think his beef isnt with her, its how over the top the papers, magazines, etc go...which i completely agree with
Old 11th April 2009, 05:01 PM
UBloonie

imani,

your on the money there my friend..

the robots really must rebel.........

the reality tv trash is like going to the zoo to see the caged animals not in their real habitat fighting,playing etc.

sad thing also is that real actors as losing work as tv execs go for cheap telly instead of making thought provoking tv with actors.

ray
Old 12th April 2009, 01:00 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin robot returns
imani,

your on the money there my friend..

the robots really must rebel.........

the reality tv trash is like going to the zoo to see the caged animals not in their real habitat fighting,playing etc.

sad thing also is that real actors as losing work as tv execs go for cheap telly instead of making thought provoking tv with actors.

ray
Hi Ray,

Yes, so true..... imagine all the actors, playwrights and scriptwriters of today. Those who study their craft, only to find themselves sidelined by a show that promotes pure ignorance. Especially young people with the aspiration to use their creative minds to contribute to the world.

What is it with viewers who are compelled to watch Big Brother? Are they as brainless as the contestants? Hope not! Yet I don't think the best stage hypnotist could be as successful in mind control as reality tv is. In fact it's ILLUSION TV.

And on that note, there's a brilliant short clip here from a 1978 film called 'Network' (I haven't yet seen it- looks great) which is set in the USA but applicable to anywhere- very relevant to this thread too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTN3s2iVKKI

Old 12th April 2009, 12:06 PM
UB40 Fan

Parkinson is a well established and respected individual who could so easily have made his point re what ails society today, without holding her up as an example.

For me its irrelevant your level of education its whats in your heart that matters. Did the media use her? Of course they did, they have a business to run, a market to create and fulfill and yes the public are interested/nosy call it what you will.

We each judge ourselves based on our own moral compass just because we don't like or accept others values doesn't mean to say they're worthless or ours are better.

"I wonder how many Iraqi and Afghan families were slaughtered by the British army guns when Jade died?"

Please clarify.