Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 24th November 2013, 08:12 PM
UBloonie

Default Sticking With UB40....

What a year of ups and downs for UB40 and UB40 fans, hasn't it been peeps?
The news of Astro's departure got me down, real down like many of us. A divided UB40 probably isn't as strong as the full massive. But the shows we've seen have indeed been awesome. Maybe one day down the line, differences will be put aside and they will come together. All the best to brother Astro. I'll miss your presence and voice in recordings and on stage. Thanks for all the good times you helped provide all the times I've seen the band. If anything, I do feel that the band really should find someone who can perform Astro's DJ/Toasting sections and songs. It is important now to keep the continuity of those parts in Red Red Wine, Johnny Too Bad, Maybe Tomorrow, etc. We saw the band with Maxi and Marvin Priest and Marvin stepped in nicely, covering Astro's parts. Not saying Marvin should do it, but in the shows we've seen in the US without Astro, people in the crowd do expect to hear those toasting sections, calling out for those parts.

For me, it is now 30 years since becoming an instant UB40 fan when I first heard Red Red Wine then buying Labour of Love and the albums they'd done up to that point. Not a day has gone by during the highs and lows of my life that UB40 and the whole of Reggae/Caribbean music has not been a part of in some way. UB40's music has been an integral part of my life through thick and thin. I cannot help but stick with them through thick and thin, great songs and albums, not so great songs and albums, defending my love of the band's music to many detractors over the years, UB40's lineup changes and all the drama. Don't want to sound crazy here, but after a certain point, it's like you're a part of a large family, a large world family. Some of the very best moments of my life are UB40 related, especially meeting Jolene.
There are many, many excellent reggae artists/band on the scene now that we love, including several up and comers. But no band has captured mi heart like UB40 has. I can't help but stick with them.
All the best and Cheers,
Peace,
Bagga

P.S. Glad to have you back Norman!
Old 24th November 2013, 09:33 PM
Über UBLoonie

fantastic post yet again bagga
Old 24th November 2013, 11:11 PM
UBloonie

Well said Bagga.

Addicted to the vibe of the drum and the bass line
Old 24th November 2013, 11:12 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Nice one Bagga
Earl-ee-B..... Yikes!.....the MiC, is yours!

oLdbOi
....stan'up firm , m' seh stan'up strong......
Old 24th November 2013, 11:14 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Always such a pleasure reading anything Bagga posts.He truly is one of life's good guys.The world needs more Baggas.
Old 24th November 2013, 11:55 PM
Über UBLoonie

What a lovely post. I agree 100%

C
We won`t run and we won`t hide
Old 25th November 2013, 12:10 AM
UBloonie

great post & great radio show......
Old 25th November 2013, 12:30 AM
UBloonie

I haven't posted in a while but I just had to add my support to this thread. Thanks Bagga, this really lifted my spirits. And I'm right there with you, UB40 has my unwavering support.
Old 25th November 2013, 12:35 AM
UBloonie

Thanks All. The world really needs more great folks like all of you and many other fans.

On the UB front, it has been a hard and uncertain year or so of progress, then setbacks and disappointments over and over again like a weird, strange cycle. Astro's news deepens the blows further in this crazy period going on. This has to continue to be acknowledged in a way that's not hurtful, just honest and real. It's painful all around for band and fans alike. Can't imagine how these events affect the band's own families on the day to day since 2008. Just think of some of a small but significant handful of things for UB40 before all this stuff went down before the shakeup of 2008:
Returning to the USA, headlining Reggae Sunsplash in Jamaica and the US version, a Grammy Nomination for WYFF, plus high profile television appearances in the states, like on America's Got Talent and other programs, with some good press including in the often hard to please Reggae world. Even after the two departures, the release of two really good Reggae albums, plus the cool Dub Sessions work and many sold out shows. The name UB40 still means something around the world be they hardcore reggae fans, UB40 fans or the general music listener and other types too. A major turn around for consistent positive vibes and activity has got to be coming for 2014. It's got to happen somehow, some way.
We have our US Thanksgiving Holiday coming up and I can't help but be thankful for all the great music, performances and kindness UB40 has given us.
Also still can't help hearing over and over in my head the wonderful lyrics and music to the song Reggae Music and praying that the love, friendship and devotion felt in the tune will fully return as much as possible in spite of the strife that's come to pass. Ain't givin' up and hoping to see UB40 come our way in the states soon come.
Peace,
Bagga.....