Old 22nd April 2014, 08:41 AM
Super Über UBloonie

vinyl.jpg

oLdbOi

a small select shan)) shan))
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:11 PM
UB40 Fan

I have about 300 reggae albums on vinyl from the 80's and 90's.... plus loads oif others. First UB40 CD I bought was Promises And Lies, earlier ones I have on vinyl. Turntable packed up some time back though, so no vinyl listening until I get that replaced... I still buy vinyl from used record shops when I can, and some new ones when I see something I like... Wouldn't mind a UB40 Record Store Day special release next year....
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:14 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niggy_Dawg View Post
I was reading something recently about hip-hop group Wu Tang Clan who have recorded a top secret album and will released just ONE copy which they will sell to the highest bidder.
They believe it will sell in the millions range therefore afterwards when it becomes readily available as a "free" download it won't effect their income.
Only problem with this is that they've already received an anonymous bid for $5 million, which means some rich oil sheik is going to buy it and keep it in his safe, so nobody else is gonna be listening to it.. A group of fans have set up a kickstarter to raise funds to outbid that.... but don't think they've raised much yet.
Old 23rd April 2014, 01:29 AM
UBloonie

Got loads of reggae and dub on vinyl, loving the extended Greensleeves 12" mixes from the early 80's. Have quite the UB40 collection on vinyl including 20+ versions of Signing Off only from all over the world! Got a record player a few years back with USB output so can now sample all vinyls easily into the computer for a quick listen. Do love the sleeves, sleeve notes, the smell, the dust and yes even the cracks when playing. Do miss that with digital downloads that there is no sleeve or any place to find who played what instrument, where what was recorded, etc.

JJ

Last edited by JorisJ; 23rd April 2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:31 AM
Über UBLoonie

I think vinyl will be a rarity or collectors item.......many prefer to have the big sleeve or in the case of cds the booklets.......but I don't think it will be long until cds go the same way as vinyl...... I'm guessing most albums,singles purchased these days are from download sites iTunes etc, and more often than not now the booklets are available in download form.......don't know how it works but I assume its cheaper to make a pdf copy of a booklet than an actual physical copy
Old 23rd April 2014, 08:24 PM
UBloonie

Thank everyone for the great posts about your views on vinyls. It has really got thinking about upsides and downsides of re introducing vinyl. You all have some real treasures in your possessions; and it has made me really keen to get my record player working again, so that I can listen to the distinctive crackling.

Long live vinyls.
Old 23rd April 2014, 08:30 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
In my household we all collect vinyl. Besides myself and Bagga, our two daughters ages 15 and 17 collect as well. We buy new vinyl and old. Not only do we collect, we also have record players and listen to them as well. My 17 year old especially, she loves vinyl. Just last night I went in her room to say goodnight, she was in bed listening to an album on vinyl. As I was about to leave the room it ended and she asks me to turn the record over for her so she wouldn't have to get out of bed

On Saturday we attended Record Store Day which is an international event celebrated at independent record stores. There are special record store day only releases on that day each year. They are highly collectible and sell out within a couple hours of the store opening. The line was around the block to get in. I'm so thankful to have Amoeba Records in San Francisco just 45 minutes away from my home. It's a huge record store and I always find some wonderful treasure when I'm there.

Back in 2008 UB40 released a limited number of 24/7 albums on vinyl. I got mine but I haven't ever played it. It's still sealed up.

I'm glad there's a huge appreciation for vinyl still. It really makes listening to music a true event. Long live vinyl!

Jolene
Jolene it was lovely to hear that even your children listen to vinyl; and that you are keeping the pleasure of vinyls alive. I had to chuckle when you mentioned about your daughter asking you to turned the record over.
Old 23rd April 2014, 08:31 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorisJ View Post
Got loads of reggae and dub on vinyl, loving the extended Greensleeves 12" mixes from the early 80's. Have quite the UB40 collection on vinyl including 20+ versions of Signing Off only from all over the world! Got a record player a few years back with USB output so can now sample all vinyls easily into the computer for a quick listen. Do love the sleeves, sleeve notes, the smell, the dust and yes even the cracks when playing. Do miss that with digital downloads that there is no sleeve or any place to find who played what instrument, where what was recorded, etc.

JJ

Wow what an amazing collection
Old 29th April 2014, 06:10 PM
Super Über UBloonie

image.jpg

Dug out a 12"/33 version off the Present Arms album.

oLdbOi
Old 29th April 2014, 06:13 PM
Super Über UBloonie

image.jpg

Flipside

oLdbOi ....ahhh its the return of DrX