Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 24th December 2015, 03:27 PM
UBloonie

Default Bringing It Home to Brum ...Yeah

Now for my rather overdue review, where do I begin EXCELLENT, STUNNING, AMAZING, CLASSIC, SHEER BRILLIANCE, WONDERFUL, ASTOUNDING, ………………… I could go on and on and yet not find sufficient words to describe the Birmingham gig.

So let’s start at the beginning …… I was actually laid up for two days prior to the gig with a high temperature and flu like symptoms that had plagued me for over a week. At one point I really didn’t think I would feel well enough to make it. On the morning of the gig, I leapt out of bed feeling totally invigorated; just the thought of seeing the boys on stage again was a tonic and antidote all in one. So off I went on the train to brum and when I arrived omg it was freezing, its really parky in Birmingham. Any hew … I would have liked to have gone to seek out the hiding UBs but thought better of it, thinking I would need a satnav to find my way around the shopping centre.
Soon I was standing in the queue chatting to some lovely fans as we waited to get into the venue. The moment I stepped in I saw our twinkling Starshine Michele (who pointed out Lynnie to me). I was overwhelmed with joy at meeting my virtual friends for the first time and just had to give them a big hug. Now I’m not a great fan of barriers but must admit I was glad to have something to brace on in my semi poorly state. Although I am sure Lynnie would never have believed it …. as I didn’t stop dancing and singing all night.

When Steele Pulse got on stage I was ready to jam.I only know a couple of their choons but totally loved the rootsie, reggae style of the band.Their delivery was brilliant, the baseline was vibrating through the floor and the occasional theatrics had me captivated for the whole set. Steppin’ Out concluded a fabulous set by the group. I must say at this point, I really came to appreciate how hard the stage crew work in order to set up the stage. I was stunned at how quickly equipment was moved andrearranged, well done to the stage crew.I must say I was so please when a saw our dear Jimmy position himself behind the drums, and soon they were all on stage to a rapturous welcome. I have always wanted to see the UBs perform in their home town/city and now I know why, it was out of this world.I would never have believed it was the 89th show; as it was crisp, precise, sound perfect and every band member was happily interacting with the crowd.

So my highs of the show, Norman just love his smile, singing, percussion and dancing, the horn sections omg you guys nailed it and everyone so versatile, one minute they have a brass instrument in their hand the next moment they are on a keyboard, playing percussion, singing … just amazing (and I can even play a recorder!!!). Robin singing ‘Sweet Sensation’I totally love that song and you delivered it beautifully. Duncan singing ‘Don’t Break My Heart’ that choon is amazing live and I can so relate to those lyrics. Earlie B always excellent and sounded fabulous, Tony cool calm and always note perfect and the rhythm make Jimmy absolutely fantastic. You are all so wonderfully talented.
My lows of the gig, I only got a few good pictures, now im not sure if it’s the lighting or my phone camera is rubbish (might be the latter).Also, when you all left the stage …. I was so sad that another great tour was over.
Well 2016 will soon be here and in true Queenie fashion I have to put my orders in early. Could you please add ‘Guns in the Ghetto’ to your setlist next year and would it be remotely possible for some of us loonies to visit the centre of excellence where all of this amazing music is made, to hear you guys jamming and composing? I would be in my element to witness that and I promise I will be so sensible and quiet you wouldn’t know I was there lol.

In closing, can I say that through life’s ups and downs, UB40 has always be a constant source of joy and pleasure. Your hard work and commitment has and will always be appreciated.

PS I hope you got my Christmas card
Old 24th December 2015, 03:53 PM
UBloonie

Oh I forgot to say thank to the lovely chap who gave us a set list at the end of the night. Thank you x
Old 24th December 2015, 05:33 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Your infectious smiles of excitement (not the germs) were also a highlight of Monday night. I kept saying 'I met Vern at last'

Forgot to ask - any travel dramas this time round?

Glad those germs decided not to ruin your night. Here's to 2016 and more wonderfulness from our boys
Old 24th December 2015, 06:07 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine007 View Post
Your infectious smiles of excitement (not the germs) were also a highlight of Monday night. I kept saying 'I met Vern at last'

Forgot to ask - any travel dramas this time round?

Glad those germs decided not to ruin your night. Here's to 2016 and more wonderfulness from our boys
Michele I can assure you that all offers of a lift was politely refused, my Ipswich escapade still gives me the shivers. The train journey was great, both trains were on time and were lovely and warm. Its so strange but I feel I have known you for a lifetime. You are so beautiful and I felt the warmth of your friendship immediately. Only the UBs could make me bounce back to full strength so instantaneously ...... even my son who was concerned about my going was staggered when he saw footage of me bouncing around in Lauence's video. His exact words were 'Oh my gosh mum and I was worried about you'.

Last edited by queenv; 24th December 2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 24th December 2015, 09:18 PM
UB40 Fan

Oh Queen V I loved reading that! Beautifully written! I wholeheartedly agree with you.
I was so very pleased to meet you too. It's been fabulous meeting other fans especially those we have befriended on the Internet! It's so great to enjoy the show with someone else who is as enthusiastic about the band as yourself. An amazing time had by all! One to remember fondly for a good many years.
Yes, we all must try and do a gig together next time! Fingers crossed xxxxxx
Old 24th December 2015, 10:00 PM
UBloonie

Top review Queen V. Always a drama. Lol.
Glad u were well enough to go.
Ooh did not get to meet you, I was over by Neps not too far from Starshine and co. Where was you? Was u with some??
Old 26th December 2015, 05:41 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by puma View Post
Top review Queen V. Always a drama. Lol.
Glad u were well enough to go.
Ooh did not get to meet you, I was over by Neps not too far from Starshine and co. Where was you? Was u with some??
Drama Puma, that was one of the least dramatic gigs ever been too lol I think it's the way I write my reviews lol. I am sorry I didn't meet you and Neph at the gig but 2016 soon come