Old 9th July 2014, 04:05 PM
UB40 Band Member

Default cup runneth over.

Who would have believed that result last night between germany and brazil.???

If someone had that as a bet it must have been a MASSIVE payout.:bounce blue:

And it strikes a blow for common sense and restraint.

It was quite obvious from the beginning, when brazil had to cheat to beat a surprisingly strong croatian team, that they weren't looking that great. And they struggled in a couple of matches on the way through to the semis.

It was obvious that they were just scraping through on the nervous energy created by the audiences unreasonable expectations, and the general hysteria surrounding the team.

But am I the only one who thinks this is all just a bit too hysterical and over the top??

I know the british love their footy. for many people, their team winning is the best feeling they will have in their lives.

But over in south america they seem to have lost any sense of proportion.

People sobbing on the streets, and on the pitch. Grown men sobbing uncontrollably in each others arms. Anyone would thing WW3 had broken our, or an earthquake had killed thousands.

the crying, the biting, the cheating and all that desperation has reached absurd proportions.

add to all this the fact that FIFA is completely corrupt, bribing politicians to stump up tax payers cash in subsidies to the multi-billion dollar organisation, and taken all it's profits off shore. Sending out thugs to prevent the locals from making some cash by selling unregistered souvenirs [only FIFA associated companies can make money out of the world cup], the locals need to put up and shut up! and disrupting local runnings to the point that the local police lose track of their local villains. flattening favelas and disrupting already difficult lives so a couple of dozen grown blokes can kick a ball around a patch of grass.

that's why germany's result is so beautifully apt.

all this hysteria and cheating and 'passion'. is no match for a well organised, disciplined, intelligent TEAM.

It can be fun to admire individual tricks and amazing skills, but nothing can beat watching 11 men working at their limit TOGETHER.
Old 9th July 2014, 04:46 PM
UBloonie

its been said that this brazil team is one of the worse in their history...
40 odd years and 66 odd matches since they were last beaten on home soil. and never by this amount..
the germans basically played the brazilian game agaisnt them, 1, 2 touch passing etc...

its also been mentioned that because many of the players, play in europe, somehow theyve lost that little bit of magic.. the old brazillian teams never really played with any structure, 4,4,2 etc..more freedom. maybe thats a good point..who knows..
maybe the next brazil team should come from the ghettos..

but fair play to the germans tho,,,that team has been consistantly good for the past 50 odd years...
always end up in semi's and finals,
and most of their top teams in germany, have a lot of german players, unlike the premiership..
tho liverpool seem to be changing that...

but 1 has to remember, tho we may not understand it, to south americans football is just as big as religion,
also its a way out of poverty...
hence the crazy passion
Old 9th July 2014, 05:40 PM
UBloonie

You're right, it is all a bit over the top....and people wonder why Americans have a hard time accepting soccer. Not that I am one of those. I like soccer, but I see people's point. We see the way the Brazilians acted when their team lost, and we hear of people being killed for scoring "own goals" in games across the world....and hear of riots breaking out in the stands at soccer games. Americans can't understand that. We love our sports and sometimes we take our sports too seriously as well....yeah, we have our fair share of nutjobs......but very rarely does it ever come to the point of someone being killed or people's property being destroyed, or people feeling like they've lost all hope to live....over a SILLY game....

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 9th July 2014, 05:53 PM
UB40 Band Member

america did a brilliant job this WC.

certainly better than england

i think the future of the sport is stateside.
Old 9th July 2014, 06:14 PM
UBloonie

A lot of people will have to stop acting like idiots if the future of soccer is going to be in the states. I hear idiots saying every day how it's a "communist sport" lol. I think the big difference is, in America we're used to rich kids playing soccer. When worldwide, it's the game for ALL classes.

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 9th July 2014, 06:17 PM
UB40 Band Member

exactly, football is a democratic sport. All you need is a ball and a patch of ground.

most other sports need lots of gear which costs money.
Old 9th July 2014, 06:52 PM
UBloonie

You're right Jim. Honestly, I love soccer, but I'm not much of an American soccer fan. It's hard to watch MLS games....for one, they rarely come on television. I have Dish Network satellite television and I receive more English Premier League matches than I do American MLS matches. I love the Premier League. I hope Birmingham City can get their act together and get back up there soon.

Old 9th July 2014, 06:55 PM
UBloonie

And Jim...you're also right about the cost of other sports. If a person wants to play American football, they'll have to pay hundreds of dollars for their uniform, including a helmet, and several hundred more for all the pads they have to wear. Then they'll have to find a field that's properly painted and marked off especially for American football, with the yard lines and the goal posts.

Same goes for a lot of other sports. There's just so much money that has to be spent before it can be done properly. What do you need for a soccer team? Gather up a few friends, buy a ball ($10 or $20) and a goal (less than $40 at Walmart) and find a patch of ground large enough to play a game. Voila! There you have it!

Old 9th July 2014, 07:02 PM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GefferyMorgan View Post
people wonder why Americans have a hard time accepting soccer.
I've always assumed that's because soccer is a low scoring game, unlike say basketball where the score can end 87-83 etc....

I've already found a way to fix this, soccer without goalkeepers! Might have to tinker with some of the rules a little bit, but generally should be just as entertaining and should provide basketball-like scorelines...

Just wondering why someone stateside hasn't thought about this yet....
Old 9th July 2014, 07:12 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie Rock Star View Post
I've always assumed that's because soccer is a low scoring game, unlike say basketball where the score can end 87-83 etc....

I've already found a way to fix this, soccer without goalkeepers! Might have to tinker with some of the rules a little bit, but generally should be just as entertaining and should provide basketball-like scorelines...

Just wondering why someone stateside hasn't thought about this yet....

The scoring is a lot to do with it. I think there are a lot of reasons wrapped up into why some Americans don't embrace soccer. Lack of scoring, and the idea of games ending in a tie or draw is one big reason, another is the fact that here in the states, it's rich kids who play the game, and one thing that most Americans hate is yuppy rich white people and the games they play. Also....the game wasn't invented here in America. Americans tend to like games that were invented here or in Canada. Our top sports: Baseball - while it has a basis in rounders, it is a uniquely American game with our own rules, though it is now spreading worldwide. Football - invented by Americans and played mostly in America and Canada. Basketball - invented in America by a Canadian man. Hockey - started off in the cold north of Canada, but is now popular in most cold climate countries. So maybe there's some elitism into why some Americans don't like soccer.