Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16th April 2013, 10:27 PM
Saad's Avatar
Saad Saad is offline
Über UBLoonie
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 5,402
Default Thatcher's musical legacy

Thatcher's pop legacy - protest songs or the charity single? - Channel 4 News
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16th April 2013, 10:40 PM
rhondda rudie's Avatar
rhondda rudie rhondda rudie is offline
Super Über UBloonie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Penyrenglyn,Rhondda Cynon Taf
Posts: 13,467
Default

Strange conclusion from the author Saad.I don't see how Band Aid made the miners record seem petty and axe grinding.It was perfectly possible to care about both issues and buy both records as I did.

And the only reason miners families didn't go hungry here is because the community made sure they didn't.The NUM had food donation points which were inundated.Everyone rallied round proving there is such a thing as society.Also explains why there were less scabs here than anywhere else.
__________________
REGGAE MUSIC CAN'T REFUSE IT
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17th April 2013, 11:01 AM
Soul Adventurer Soul Adventurer is offline
UBloonie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 620
Default

On the subject of Band Aid, here's a good quote from the Paolo Hewitt book 'The Changing Man' which is about Paul Weller's songs. Hewitt talks about the 80s music scene:

"In the glossy climate of the 1980s, pop had lost its biting edge. Most bands avoided any sort of political statement. Either they had nothing to say or their many advisers counselled against making their positions known. The only causes bands were encouraged to take up were those that played on people's guilt, not convictions - hence Live Aid."

Saying that, Weller now sees his involvement with Red Wedge as a mistake - the politicians were using those artists and the politics started to overshadow the music itself.

Gary Kemp spoke a bit about Live Aid in his autobiog. From one angle, it was about popular artists and their audiences rallying to a cause as never before. On the other hand he talks about how incongruous it was for many of the Band Aid artists, including himself, to turn up to the recording session in chauffeur driven limos looking for a photo op. He makes similar observations about the gig itself, especially the finale.

I've got mixed feelings about Band Aid/Live Aid now.
__________________
"It's down down down for Bill Pickley."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17th April 2013, 09:39 PM
Waltjo's Avatar
Waltjo Waltjo is offline
Extra Super Über UBLoonie
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: North Wales/Welsh and proud of it!
Posts: 27,869
Send a message via MSN to Waltjo
Default

It wasn't a local community thing either Tom, I remember collection points all round the villages round here where people used to donate food for the miners
__________________
Big Luv
Mags



~THE GEMINI DEFECTIVES - DON'T COME TO US FOR ADVICE!!!!~
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17th April 2013, 09:48 PM
Saad's Avatar
Saad Saad is offline
Über UBLoonie
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 5,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Adventurer View Post
On the subject of Band Aid, here's a good quote from the Paolo Hewitt book 'The Changing Man' which is about Paul Weller's songs. Hewitt talks about the 80s music scene:

"In the glossy climate of the 1980s, pop had lost its biting edge. Most bands avoided any sort of political statement. Either they had nothing to say or their many advisers counselled against making their positions known. The only causes bands were encouraged to take up were those that played on people's guilt, not convictions - hence Live Aid."

Saying that, Weller now sees his involvement with Red Wedge as a mistake - the politicians were using those artists and the politics started to overshadow the music itself.

Gary Kemp spoke a bit about Live Aid in his autobiog. From one angle, it was about popular artists and their audiences rallying to a cause as never before. On the other hand he talks about how incongruous it was for many of the Band Aid artists, including himself, to turn up to the recording session in chauffeur driven limos looking for a photo op. He makes similar observations about the gig itself, especially the finale.I've got mixed feelings about Band Aid/Live Aid now.

Always had time for Gary Kemp who was always staunchly labour unlike bloody Tony 'I Maggie' Hadley
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17th April 2013, 10:16 PM
rhondda rudie's Avatar
rhondda rudie rhondda rudie is offline
Super Über UBloonie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Penyrenglyn,Rhondda Cynon Taf
Posts: 13,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjo View Post
It wasn't a local community thing either Tom, I remember collection points all round the villages round here where people used to donate food for the miners
Quite right Mags.People were generous all over the country,including places you'd never expect.
__________________
REGGAE MUSIC CAN'T REFUSE IT
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18th April 2013, 10:37 AM
Soul Adventurer Soul Adventurer is offline
UBloonie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 620
Default

What will be the musical legacy of the Blair and Cameron years?
__________________
"It's down down down for Bill Pickley."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18th April 2013, 10:39 AM
rhondda rudie's Avatar
rhondda rudie rhondda rudie is offline
Super Über UBloonie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Penyrenglyn,Rhondda Cynon Taf
Posts: 13,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Adventurer View Post
What will be the musical legacy of the Blair and Cameron years?
Westlife and One Direction.Very lightweight bands,apt really.
__________________
REGGAE MUSIC CAN'T REFUSE IT
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18th April 2013, 03:14 PM
Soul Adventurer Soul Adventurer is offline
UBloonie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondda rudie View Post
Westlife and One Direction.Very lightweight bands,apt really.
Sad as well. Being a teenager in the late 70s and early 80s, we were fortunate to have quite a few high profile artists with political content to their lyrics. For a few years at least, it seemed to be the norm. It's practically light entertainment now - anything else (in the mainstream) is more of an exception.
__________________
"It's down down down for Bill Pickley."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18th April 2013, 03:15 PM
Soul Adventurer Soul Adventurer is offline
UBloonie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad View Post
Always had time for Gary Kemp who was always staunchly labour unlike bloody Tony 'I Maggie' Hadley
His autobiog is very good, worth a read.
__________________
"It's down down down for Bill Pickley."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 (Unregistered)


Forum SEO by Rapid Web Ltd