Old 8th August 2014, 09:59 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Default Iraq

How come people are (rightly) playing merry hell when Sunni Muslim extremist lunatics ISIS are slaughtering Christians but we hardly heard a peep when they were slaughtering Shia Muslims?
Old 8th August 2014, 11:08 PM
UBloonie

If we stepped in every time the Shiites and the Sunnis killed each other, we'd never do anything else. They're constantly fighting. We stepped in this time because they're beheading people, driving them into the desert where there's no food to eat, etc....something really had to be done. The question shouldn't be why are we defending Christians but not defending the Shiites. The question should be, why is ISIS always causing trouble?

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 8th August 2014, 11:51 PM
UB40 Band Member

except we DO step in matt.

we've been 'stepping in' for over a century.

Usually to prop up some sunni minority government or royal family.

And we've been supplying arms for years to saudi royal family who subscribe to wahabiism, which is the philosophy that underpins al quaeda.

If we had been 'stepping in' and helping to sort the mess out instead of meddling and making things worse then the middle east wouldn't look the way it does today.
Old 10th August 2014, 04:32 AM
UBloonie

I think what you guys meant to say was how abhorable is the behavior of ISIS (and any other Muslim extremist, Sunni or Shia). They exhibit a combination of intolerance, genocide and apartheid, in the name of God. They seem to be the epitome of this behavior, the apex predator of our day.

Thank goodness Miriam Ibrahim was freed from this evil ideology, for apostasy, she was sentenced to death; there is no tolerance for alternative thinking among this ideology.

Lets just call a spade a spade, and evil, evil.

But I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave.
Old 10th August 2014, 08:52 AM
UB40 Band Member

So. . . .

Killing hundreds and thousands of innocent Iraqi's was 'good' was it ???

In the name of which 'god' ??

I find religious extremists of ALL kinds very scary.

Whether it's wahabiists or christian fundamentalists, they are ALL dangerous.

And that INCLUDES the neocons who murdered civilians in the name of the 'new american century'.

If it was a simple case of 'good' and 'evil' then why do the british and americans sell so many arms to the saudi's [who are bankrolling ISIS and al Quaeda] ????

I find the behaviour of BOTH sides abhorrent.
Old 10th August 2014, 02:20 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Just months ago Conservatives in the US and UK were upset at being thwarted in their desire to arm rebels in Syria.ISIS was already the dominant rebel organisation there so how stupid would that have been.Hussain,Gaddafi and Assad were/are all bstards and I'm thankful that I don't have to live under their rule.One think they had in common,though,was that they were not religious zealots.Life for women,in particular,was far better than under some of the other regimes in the region which,as JB rightly says,we are arming to the teeth.What a fking mess.
Old 10th August 2014, 02:48 PM
UBloonie

Which god? Allah, is the answer. If you find religious "extremists of all kinds" scary, which ones keep you up at night? I dont think too many Muslims lose very much sleep shaking in their boots worrying about Christian extremists at the moment (the crusades are over, and have been for quite some time now), however, the other way around is happening under our noses in Egypt (with Coptic Christians), Syria and Iraq (with religious minorities and ethnic minorities), right now, under the hands of the Muslim Brotherhood and ISIS (or ISIL if you prefer).

Failure to recognize the current state of affairs is either willful ignorance or just remaining a Silent Witness.

Old 10th August 2014, 03:01 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron A View Post
Which god? Allah, is the answer. If you find religious "extremists of all kinds" scary, which ones keep you up at night? I dont think too many Muslims lose very much sleep shaking in their boots worrying about Christian extremists at the moment (the crusades are over, and have been for quite some time now), however, the other way around is happening under our noses in Egypt (with Coptic Christians), Syria and Iraq (with religious minorities and ethnic minorities), right now, under the hands of the Muslim Brotherhood and ISIS (or ISIL if you prefer).

Failure to recognize the current state of affairs is either willful ignorance or just remaining a Silent Witness.
Aaron,can't you see that the military actions of the west,the US and UK especially,has strengthened the power of ISIS and other muslim extremists.Al Qaeda and their like were not even present in Iraq,Libya or Syria but they are now.Our clumsy intervention has not served the interests of the people of those countries nor,to an even greater extent,our own.Those who wish us harm are now in a far more powerful position as a direct result of our own actions.
Old 10th August 2014, 03:24 PM
UBloonie

So.....it's our own fault?! Let me get this straight, if I gave you a gun, is it in your heart to go and kill any and all that disagree with you? No?! I dare say it is not in your heart to do that, it is not in your nature. However, what if I gave a weapon to someone who's heart was set against me? I see your point, it is in a way my fault, for being naive. My point, though, is that there are people who will kill because they see the world different than you or I do.

The only things that I think to kill (ie justification for war) for are justified are: self defense, and when basic human rights and freedoms (religious freedoms included) are endangered.

These are people who will not tolerate any alternative religious view than their own. I think, and I may be wrong, but that includes your religious beliefs and mine. And as such, being different, we do not fit in that society, and our lives then become endangered.

Old 10th August 2014, 03:41 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron A View Post
So.....it's our own fault?! Let me get this straight, if I gave you a gun, is it in your heart to go and kill any and all that disagree with you? No?! I dare say it is not in your heart to do that, it is not in your nature. However, what if I gave a weapon to someone who's heart was set against me? I see your point, it is in a way my fault, for being naive. My point, though, is that there are people who will kill because they see the world different than you or I do.

The only things that I think to kill (ie justification for war) for are justified are: self defense, and when basic human rights and freedoms (religious freedoms included) are endangered.

These are people who will not tolerate any alternative religious view than their own. I think, and I may be wrong, but that includes your religious beliefs and mine. And as such, being different, we do not fit in that society, and our lives then become endangered.
Again you fail to understand what has happened Aaron.Hussain's Iraq and Gaddafi's Libya were no threat to the west.They were brutal dictators whose only real priority was keeping power in their own countries.Accordingly they were ruthless in suppressing political dissent,especially religious fanatics.The military action taken by the west in both countries resulted in a power vacuum which has been filled by the likes of ISIS.Therefore the groups that mean us harm are now in a far stronger position.The most depressing thing about the whole debacle is that it was entirely predictable.

Last edited by rhondda rudie; 10th August 2014 at 05:19 PM.