Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 7th December 2013, 04:23 PM
Über UBLoonie

Default shadow of how he was...

sorry for being a moaner ...came across this and have to say absolute crap was a big fan of his but now shakes heed ...his gig total shite... thats why we worship the real UB40

Ali Campbell Purple Rain Indigo O2 6/12/13 - YouTube
Old 7th December 2013, 05:07 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caja View Post
sorry for being a moaner ...came across this and have to say absolute crap was a big fan of his but now shakes heed ...his gig total shite... thats why we worship the real UB40

im curious, was you at the actual gig?

sounded ok to me, hard to judge a recording made on someones phn, situated far right of stage, close to the bass bins....

Last edited by MrGhost-F.G.E; 7th December 2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 7th December 2013, 06:30 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caja View Post

Dont shoot me but I actually like his version of Purple rain, although I know its not his arrangement as Im still waiting for the fun lovin crims ofshoot to release their record with Aldis vocals on.
P.S were you at the gig, if so, what was Astros role, was he wheeled on for song?, or did he play the whole set?.
Old 7th December 2013, 06:46 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Why do I have a feeling this is so going to kick off!
oLdbOi
Go for it Caja!
Old 7th December 2013, 07:04 PM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to jonni2bad Send a message via Yahoo to jonni2bad

I also like this version of Purple Rain, and yes i went to the gig at the O2 academy, wasn't happy because he was mainly singing Labour of Love tunes and none of his solo stuff, but really I'm on the fence here, I love both UB40 and Ali and will continue to go to both gigs and unfortunately there are some members off BOTH forums stirring it..... like i said its all about the music for me
Old 7th December 2013, 07:14 PM
UBloonie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrClaypole View Post
Dont shoot me but I actually like his version of Purple rain, although I know its not his arrangement as Im still waiting for the fun lovin crims ofshoot to release their record with Aldis vocals on.
P.S were you at the gig, if so, what was Astros role, was he wheeled on for song?, or did he play the whole set?.
Astro didn't come on until quite late so not as much stage time as i would have liked for him ... but go and youtube Silhouette which was put up by the same person as this Purple Rain vid, fast forward to @ 3 mins and check out the reaction when Astro first started singing and came on stage. Then make up your own mind
Old 7th December 2013, 07:49 PM
UB40 Fan

Not really suitable for this forum to be honest, but for me I like this song and this version.

If it was a UB40 song 6 years ago I defy anyone to say it is not a wicked version

UB40 fantastic and always will be, Ali is Ali and always will be, nuff said.

But will only cause verbal riots on here

R.
Old 7th December 2013, 09:12 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonni2bad View Post
I also like this version of Purple Rain, and yes i went to the gig at the O2 academy, wasn't happy because he was mainly singing Labour of Love tunes and none of his solo stuff, but really I'm on the fence here, I love both UB40 and Ali and will continue to go to both gigs and unfortunately there are some members off BOTH forums stirring it..... like i said its all about the music for me

I personally think you're totally entitled to like Ali, his solo stuff and gigs etc.

It is where he continually slates off his former band and their fans at every media opportunity and using their name to promote his own shows that really sticks in the craw. This is the real root of the bad feeling and if Ali only let the music do the talking then there would be no issue whatsoever.

Your comment about the set being predominantly Labour of Love material says it all really. This alone shows his inability to be able to stand on his own two feet musically which is a real shame.

I for one would like to have seen him flourish with his solo career but as the last six years have clearly demonstrated that being with UB40 made him look good and that on his own he is really struggling and therein lie his problems.

Saad
Old 7th December 2013, 09:22 PM
UBloonie

A mate of mine recorded a trombone solo on the studio version of FLC's Purple Rain.

Just sayin'.
Old 7th December 2013, 10:37 PM
UBloonie

Have to say I'm not crazy about the Purple Rain cover I just heard and saw.
Also saw the Maybe Tomorrow clip from last night's. While Astro seemed lively, I'm not crazy about the overall performance either and the band, talented musicians they may be, just don't add up to the richness of UB40's original one-of-a-kind signature sound. It's impossible to come close. And the magic of the signature brother blend vocally just isn't there.

UB40 for me will always be the better choice and value.

But at this point, a person can like what they like and leave it be.
Just praying there won't be a lot of negative stuff in the press and so on in the near future. It's been a brutal year. Need some positive light shining through.

All The Best,
Bagga....