UB40 Forums

UB40 Forums (http://ub40.global/forum/index.php)
-   UB40 Discussion (http://ub40.global/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Duncan is more than just the TRUE voice of UB40 (http://ub40.global/forum/showthread.php?t=612683)

Saad 6th May 2014 09:48 PM

Duncan is more than just the TRUE voice of UB40

On this tour he has really led the the line and owned the stage as if he has been there all his life.

Now even the doubters have been won over leaving only the haters festering in their own cauldron of bile, the conquest is truly complete!

And no, I do NOT want him to release a solo record :haha:

NEPCHOON ROSE 6th May 2014 09:58 PM

he has been outstanding...it was just a sheer pleasure watching him sing everything about the show was in balance....and just to repeat myself, in Birmingham he took to the stage and owned it...like a boss:king: everybody should be proud...they did incredible work

Starshine007 6th May 2014 10:13 PM

Hear, hear :grin: What more can I add? Loving the animated version of our Dunx, long may it continue :D

bt/ub40 6th May 2014 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saad (Post 1653304)
On this tour he has really led the the line and owned the stage as if he has been there all his life.

Now even the doubters have been won over leaving only the haters festering in their own cauldron of bile, the conquest is truly complete!

And no, I do NOT want him to release a solo record :haha:

what he said...shukran me old china

old loonie 7th May 2014 12:23 AM

its amazing how the whole band has just moved the bar even higher. i have never seen such togetherness and i have probably been to 80 plus gigs and i can tell you the cameradery on that stage is electric, there are no egos just friends having a blast and its perfection long may it continue

rhondda rudie 7th May 2014 01:51 AM

What Saad said.Good move by the band to have Dunc coming on after the music has started to give him a bit of a star entrance.Was heartening to hear the rapturous reception he received when he came on at Nottingham.Fully deserved.

Junkie Rock Star 7th May 2014 02:15 PM

Love Duncan, but perhaps its not a good idea to identify any one person as the "true voice" of the band. Unless of course you're talking specifically about the voice/vocals.

To me UB40 has always been a collective where everyone plays a part. The voice is nothing without with the drum/bass, the guitar, the distinctive backing vocals, the horn section,

To me, the True Voice of UB40 is the sound they make together....

JB40 7th May 2014 03:47 PM

When this particular set of musicians get together (me, earl, RBC, BT and NORMY), this is the sound we make. Mickey and the tambourine player didn't contribute to that creative process at all. They would overdub after the backing track had already been created by the very same people who are still writing ub40's music today. That was always the case from the very beginning. It's probably unnecessary to point out that, no matter how good the individual musicians, still the people MOST qualified to be us is. . . . . .er. . . . .US !

Ironically, we would never have been able to put this set together if we still had aldi on vocals. Can you imagine what that thin, nasally faux Jamaican voice would have done to songs like love is all ? :eek::eek:

Back in those days aldi had a smooth, soulful voice. But that was before he turned into rasta mouse. Now, if we want to reproduce the sound of those early songs then dunc's the man for the job. He harmonizes with RBC the way aldi used to before he lost all the depth to his voice (twenty plus years of hysterical drunken screaming can do that to a voice). And when we recorded songs like love is all or don't let it pass you by aldi hadn't developed his suburban-white boy-wishes-he was-black, faux-yardie accent yet.

And no way would the band be playing as well as they are now with aldi, mickey and the tambourine player still in the line up. Aldi didn't have enough voice left to do the kind of extensive rehearsals you need to do to get to this level. One run through and it would be all over for the day. With dunc he'll go over and over things till he gets them right. Not only does he have a stronger, more agile voice, he's also willing to put the effort in to get things right. In other words, he's a PROFESSIONAL. He cares about the quality of the music and wants to do the best job he can for our fans. He has respect for the audience. Aldi was always a bit of an amateur, as you can see By the way he runs his own "career". It's all about take the money and run. Lying and wilfully confusing our fans so he can line his own pockets at the expense of the bands hard won live reputation.

When aldi left his old band he did it with the famous words "I can earn TEN times more without you c***s". He had convinced himself ( with the help of his ex groupie new wife) that the band was holding him back from fulfilling his destiny as a superstar.

Turns out that his amateurishness had been holding the band back creatively for years. Which is why, on the rare occasion that someone might suggest that things aren't they same as they used to be I say YES, your right, it's BETTER !!

big Mick 68 7th May 2014 04:30 PM

Well said JB, Dunc was awesome on this tour

JB40 7th May 2014 06:15 PM

If it's a choice between dunc recording great songs like blue eyes or forever in mind, and our ex singer and his tambourine players recent cover version of 10 CC's "dreadlock holiday" ("all di peepul dem love di reggy muuuusic":eek::eek:). Then I'll stick with dunc thanks.