PDA

View Full Version : JB: Daily Show and John Oliver

KGB_I_was_NOT
27th July 2013, 04:19 AM
Hi Jimmy,

I know you're a devoted Daily Show fan, so I gotta ask: what do you think of John Oliver as the new host? I personally think he's doing a very good job.

Cheers,

--I

JB40
27th July 2013, 12:02 PM
yes Irina.

I'm a BIG fan of john stewart. I record every episode and watch them 3 or 4 at a time.

I caught the first one with oliver the other day, but it's hard to tell how he's doing from just one episode.

I'm gonna catch up this weekend and let you know.

John stewart has got very big shoes to fill, he's the main man when it comes to politics in the U.S.

oliver has certainly got a big job ahead of him.

KGB_I_was_NOT
12th August 2013, 04:02 AM
Cheers, mate!

I agree: there are few out there that can compete with Jon Stewart when it comes to the art of political interview. Strangely though, I found myself enjoying the little "break" from Jon, and a bit of a change of pace that John Olliver provided while Jon is away.

GefferyMorgan
13th August 2013, 09:21 AM
Oliver may or may not turn out to be as good as Jon Stewart, but one thing's for certain...he MUST be better than Craig Kilborn was! But then...a deaf and mute monkey would be funnier than Kilborn was...

KGB_I_was_NOT
13th August 2013, 09:25 PM
OMG!! I remember the original Daily Show with Craig Kilborn, and wow, how the show changed once he left! :) What year was that? seems like a lifetime ago!

GefferyMorgan
14th August 2013, 10:31 AM
Gracious, that had to have been '98 or '99 I guess...it was a long time ago, but I still remember it like it was yesterday. It did change...for the better...after that, thankfully.

JB40
14th August 2013, 01:59 PM
That's before my time guys, we didn't get the show on this side of the pond back in those days.

I've been hooked on john stewart for a few years now though.

And coincidentally Irina. The other must-see show is the KIESER report on Russia today. I love max keiser. And russia today is fast becoming the most reliable rolling news channel, I tune in regularly.

Saad
14th August 2013, 02:43 PM
That's before my time guys, we didn't get the show on this side of the pond back in those days.

I've been hooked on john stewart for a few years now though.

And coincidentally Irina. The other must-see show is the KIESER report on Russia today. I love max keiser. And russia today is fast becoming the most reliable rolling news channel, I tune in regularly.

Have you tried Al-Jazeera on a regular basis JB? They certainly give a very different slant to the sanitised 'unbiased' :roll: view the BBC churns out these days....

JB40
14th August 2013, 03:28 PM
yes saad.

al jazeera. didn't bush threaten to bomb their headquaters once ??

You've got to be prepared for some horrific scenes though. They tend to show the REAL consequences of violence, the stuff that the more 'delicate' western news channels won't show. Can be a hard watch sometimes.

It's a good alternative to the neutered BBC. Ever since the gilligan affair the BBC have been useless.

KGB_I_was_NOT
14th August 2013, 05:23 PM
JB,

I watch RT on youtube sometimes. You have to keep it mind thought that it is a federal government-sponsored network that was created specifically for the purpose of promoting Russia's image in the West. Much like the Moscow News newspaper and Radio Moscow in the Soviet times, them may present an alternative view and perspective on the world news, but their coverage of local Russian news is definitely slanted towards whoever is in the Kremlin.

KGB_I_was_NOT
14th August 2013, 05:32 PM
I have to say though, I haven't seen KEISER report yet. Thanks for the heads-up, will check it out for sure!

Speaking of "reports"

The Daily Show in the US is followed immediately by The Colbert Report. It is a similar format, a lot of political satire, but different that the DS. Stephen Colbert, the host, assumed a fake persona of an obnoxious conservative, and it's quite hilarious to watch if you know it's all fake.

JB40
14th August 2013, 06:10 PM
I can see that may be the case irina, but their coverage of international economic news is really good,much better than their western counterparts. And keiser is brilliant. You should try and catch him. better still, try youtube. if you type 'keiser this week' you'll get a good idea of where he's coming from.