PDA

View Full Version : education by media.

JB40
9th July 2013, 03:31 PM
As you may have noticed, over the years i've clashed with lots of people over politics and other subjects.

I despair when I hear people blaming immigrants or single mothers or benefit cheats for whatever ills society suffers. But it's obvious that there are a hell of a lot of people out there who do hold those opinions.

in the end we agree to differ, and allow for a range of opinions.

But I DON'T really mean it.

in the end, I KNOW that my opinion is the only one with any credibility [and those that agree with me are also are better informed, even though they are accused of brown-nosing by those that oppose my opinion]. because, in the end, it boils down to education. Do you know the statistics that illuminate the facts on the ground or not??

or are you relying on tabloid bigotry to inform your opinions ???

read this. . . . . .

A survey by the Royal Statistical Society has today
revealed the vast disparity between what the British public believes to be
the state of the nation, and the actual reality reflected by sober official
statistics.
It may not be surprising that people are sometimes rather skewiff in their assessments of some issues, but the gulf between perceptions and reality are quite staggeringly wide. The implications for politics and governance are profound.

To pick out just some of the survey findings, on average we think teenage pregnancy rates are 25 times higher than they are. A large majority of the public believe crime is constant or rising, when official surveys show there were 53 per cent fewer incidents in 2012 than in 1995. People overestimate the amount of benefit fraud 34 times over, believing the rate to be 24 per cent of the total benefits bill. The true figure is 0.7 per cent. When people were asked to select from a list which government policy would save most money, a third selected capping benefits at 26k, more than twice as many as selected raising the pension age to 66 for both men and women. The actual savings from a benefit cap would be 290m. Savings from raising the pension age would be 5bn, or about 20 times greater.

More than a quarter of people believe foreign aid is one of the top two or three items of government spending - indeed more people pick this as the top item of government expenditure than pick pensions or education, despite those being 74 times and 51 times larger respectively. The average member of the public believes 24 per cent of the British population is Muslim. It is actually five per cent. Average estimates of the total immigrant population are two to three times higher than reality.

FATHER TED2
9th July 2013, 03:45 PM
it also sometimes appears that you can only be an immigrant if the colour of your skin is of the darker shade and your religious faith smacks of violence..... my dad originally came over to Wolverhampton before settling in Corby, from limerick and whilst Ireland is closer to these shores than say Poland, Pakistan etc, I'm as much of a descendent of an immigrant as the guy who runs the local corner shop.... Be it 100 miles or 10000 miles overseas is overseas
and I'm from the catholic faith....... We had the bright ideas to nail or boss to a tree...... hardly the actions of a civilised rational thinkin race of people!

rhondda rudie
9th July 2013, 03:48 PM
I knew all that.:laff:Well I didn't know the figures.

I'd like add another statistic Jimmy."Health tourism" ie non EU people getting NHS treatment is perceived to be rampant but the numbers tell a different story.In the financial year 2011-12 the NHS paid out 33m to treat non EU nationals,21m of which was recovered.The 12m left accounts for 0.01% of the annual NHS budget of 109bn.In other words treating these people cost the equivalent of 1 hour's NHS expenditure per year.

JB40
9th July 2013, 03:59 PM
My thoughts exactly comrades.

the government has dedicated quite a lot of time to dealing with the 'health tourism problem'. With the cost to the legislator, lawyers fees, parliamentary time, politicians expenses, media announcements. Hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of tax-payer pounds will be spent on tackling this 'problem'.

The politicians are using people's prejudices to distract them from the real issues [a bent and broken financial system]. helped along by right wing media lies stoking up the bigotry.

it's amazing how many fall for it.

rhondda rudie
9th July 2013, 04:02 PM
My thoughts exactly comrades.

the government has dedicated quite a lot of time to dealing with the 'health tourism problem'. With the cost to the legislator, lawyers fees, parliamentary time, politicians expenses, media announcements. Hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of tax-payer pounds will be spent on tackling this 'problem'.

The politicians are using people's prejudices to distract them from the real issues [a bent and broken financial system]. helped along by right wing media lies stoking up the bigotry.

it's amazing how many fall for it.

And what's Milliband doing,running round like his arse is on fire trying to distance himself from the unions.

FATHER TED2
9th July 2013, 04:08 PM
Some may argue that there are immigrants who abuse the system but then the same can be said for home grown people and the money spent yearly on benefits be it justified or abused I'm counting the 2 together is just a drop in the ocean compared to what our national and local governments continuously squander on a daily basis....... like a lot of things in life the easiest targets will always be the ones hounded with the most venom....... Facts have little or no bearing.......if a victim doesn't exist, one has to be made, and the more vulnerable the better

FATHER TED2
9th July 2013, 04:09 PM
And what's Milliband doing,running round like his arse is on fire trying to distance himself from the unions.

Because milliband is an arse Tom! :laff:

rhondda rudie
9th July 2013, 04:27 PM
it also sometimes appears that you can only be an immigrant if the colour of your skin is of the darker shade and your religious faith smacks of violence..... my dad originally came over to Wolverhampton before settling in Corby, from limerick and whilst Ireland is closer to these shores than say Poland, Pakistan etc, I'm as much of a descendent of an immigrant as the guy who runs the local corner shop.... Be it 100 miles or 10000 miles overseas is overseas
and I'm from the catholic faith....... We had the bright ideas to nail or boss to a tree...... hardly the actions of a civilised rational thinkin race of people!

I don't understand the nasty nationalism (not talking about Plaid,SNP here) within Britain Eamonn.The Rhondda was virtually empty before coal was discovered.Half of the huge influx that arrived were from the west country,my mam's parents came from Somerset.My dad's grandparents came from Ireland,there are still Hibernian clubs here.That's what I can't understand about anti English sentiment in Wales and Scotland and anti everyone views in England.I'm deeply sceptical of overt displays of patriotism as well.It's normally just a way of distracting people from more important issues.

Politburo quiz,easy one this.Who said-

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

rhondda rudie
9th July 2013, 04:31 PM
Also remember reading about a study that said people who got their current affairs knowledge from Jon Stewart's Daily Show were better informed than those got theirs from Fox News.:laff:

JB40
9th July 2013, 04:31 PM
ooh. Ooh!!

I know that one !!

terry thomas said it to ian carmichal in 'school for scoundrels'.

I win ! I win !!!

:haha::haha::haha:

rhondda rudie
9th July 2013, 04:36 PM
ooh. Ooh!!

I know that one !!

terry thomas said it to ian carmichal in 'school for scoundrels'.

I win ! I win !!!

:haha::haha::haha:

Loved Terry "Absolute Shower" Thomas.Brilliant in Those Magnificent Men,Monte Carlo Or Bust and I'm alright Jack.Good Show!!!!:laff:

Bit of trivia,Richard Briers was his cousin.

FATHER TED2
9th July 2013, 04:40 PM
Loved Terry "Absolute Shower" Thomas.Brilliant in Those Magnificent Men,Monte Carlo Or Bust and I'm alright Jack.Good Show!!!!:laff:

Bit of trivia,Richard Briers was his cousin.

Richard briers was also married to felicity Kendall and lived next door to Penelope Keith, and he was gentry in Scotland

not a lot of people know that!

JB40
9th July 2013, 04:42 PM
Love it.

the accumulated knowledge of the politburo is the eighth wonder of the world.:king::king::king::king:

rhondda rudie
9th July 2013, 04:43 PM
Love it.

the accumulated knowledge of the politburo is the eighth wonder of the world.:king::king::king::king:

:laff:Like you said we're better informed.:laff:

FATHER TED2
9th July 2013, 04:44 PM
I was also so clever in school they had to put me in the special class...... and I got an f in counting.........that's 5 higher than an a you know

rhondda rudie
9th July 2013, 04:48 PM
Terry was there when Richard Briers made his west end debut.He shared a box with Richard's very proud dad.Richard's performance was ok but the play itself was crap.

"How long do you think it will run Terry?" asked Richard's dad.

"What time is it now?" said Terry.:laff:

rhondda rudie
9th July 2013, 04:50 PM
I was also so clever in school they had to put me in the special class...... and I got an f in counting.........that's 5 higher than an a you know

:laff:

I was good at maths 70% of the time.I was hopeless for the other 60%.:shock:

Starshine007
9th July 2013, 06:06 PM
Richard briers was also married to felicity Kendall and lived next door to Penelope Keith, and he was gentry in Scotland

not a lot of people know that!

Bit more Richard Briers trivia. His mum was my drama teacher at school :razz:

FATHER TED2
9th July 2013, 06:31 PM

What episode was that?

Starshine007
9th July 2013, 06:47 PM
What episode was that?

The 'lost' episode :wink:

rhondda rudie
9th July 2013, 07:21 PM

Robert De Niro was mine.Kept speaking in Italian.Got on my nerves so I wrote a song about it.:razz:

JB40
9th July 2013, 08:09 PM
Hold on a sec tom.

let me guess.

Were you the tall blond one in the middle ?????:haha:

rhondda rudie
9th July 2013, 08:38 PM
Hold on a sec tom.

let me guess.

Were you the tall blond one in the middle ?????:haha:

I said I wrote it comrade.Didn't say I performed it,that would have been fibbing.I don't work for The Sun you know.:razz:

JB40
9th July 2013, 10:33 PM
that's a relief comrade.

somehow, i couldn't imagine you in a tight leather skirt. :aagh::aagh::aagh::aagh::aagh:

rhondda rudie
9th July 2013, 10:57 PM
that's a relief comrade.

somehow, i couldn't imagine you in a tight leather skirt. :aagh::aagh::aagh::aagh::aagh:
Nor me,the zip might ladder my tights.:razz:

Saad
11th July 2013, 11:22 AM

Explains the drama queen phase of your life M :laff: :laff: :laff: :laff:

Saad
11th July 2013, 11:24 AM
Robert De Niro was mine.Kept speaking in Italian.Got on my nerves so I wrote a song about it.:razz:

A Bananaramdrama then Tom?? :banghead: :laff: