PDA

View Full Version : Book of Mormon

phunter
11th May 2013, 07:58 PM
Managed to get a ticket to see this, absolutely hilarious!
Didn't get good reviews by the critics, no idea why in my opinion, but if you take it as it comes, funny, good songs, and common sense opinions by the writers on how religion can make an impact on people and the countries they live in, it makes for a great nights entertainment!
10 out of 10 from me :)

Siobhan

FATHER TED2
12th May 2013, 12:26 AM
this is hilarious
South Park - Joseph Smith - YouTube (http://youtu.be/tu4y7x9LRyY)

phunter
12th May 2013, 09:34 AM
Yup very funny Eamon!
That was the theme of the show, brilliant!

FATHER TED2
12th May 2013, 11:06 AM
I know a lot of people with faiths, some of my best friends are devout Catholics, I have friends who are Protestant Jewish and other faiths I've always been a complete atheist but even though in my mind I believe I know there is no god I respect people who do believe in one same as my friends respect me not believing.
I find it interesting what ricky gervaise says, he's also an atheist but he points out that if you think about it nearly everyone is an atheist.
Someone who doesn't believe in any god is a total atheist. But if you take people of the faiths I mentioned, then there's gods like Allah, bhudda, Zeus etc etc and many tribes worship many obscure gods, so say in total there's around 867 different gods that are worshiped , whoever someone believes in that is their one true god and all the others are false.
They don't believe in those other gods as they don't fit in with their particular believe or religious faith, which is fair enough, but to other people all these gods are the true god, so everyone it could be argued is almost as big enough of a non believer as a complete atheist, they just happen to believe in one out of the 867+ gods to chose from

Aaron A
13th May 2013, 07:52 PM
The book is better than the play.

nephertiti
13th May 2013, 08:26 PM
I know a lot of people with faiths, some of my best friends are devout Catholics, I have friends who are Protestant Jewish and other faiths I've always been a complete atheist but even though in my mind I believe I know there is no god I respect people who do believe in one same as my friends respect me not believing.
I find it interesting what ricky gervaise says, he's also an atheist but he points out that if you think about it nearly everyone is an atheist.
Someone who doesn't believe in any god is a total atheist. But if you take people of the faiths I mentioned, then there's gods like Allah, bhudda, Zeus etc etc and many tribes worship many obscure gods, so say in total there's around 867 different gods that are worshiped , whoever someone believes in that is their one true god and all the others are false.
They don't believe in those other gods as they don't fit in with their particular believe or religious faith, which is fair enough, but to other people all these gods are the true god, so everyone it could be argued is almost as big enough of a non believer as a complete atheist, they just happen to believe in one out of the 867+ gods to chose from

Wise words father :)... :bounceyellow: .. one expects no less .....:beer:

JB40
13th May 2013, 10:06 PM
The book is better than the play.

you may be right Aaron. I've heard it's DEFINITELY more SURREAL. :smokin:

I'm an atheist, so apart from the basic humanist message of treat others as you would like to be treated yourself, and look after the less fortunate, christianity isn't very interesting. It's too judgemental and moralistic and paternal [they don't seem to like women much]. And the basic explanation of an imaginary freind in the sky is just too way out for most rational people.

I think more traditional religions have got more realistic ideas. like many traditional religions are about worship of ancestors. It's been said that tribes took to christianity from missionaries because they saw heaven as a place where there ancestors lived.

And pagan religions worship nature and the changing seasons, which makes much more sense to me. To show respect to forces beyond our control is realistic.

And Shinto, traditional japanese, has no moral dimension at all. The gods can be good and bad, often at the same time. If they are in a bad mood, then earthquakes or storms happen, so they have to be placated by offerings to a shrine. like incense or a lit candle. if something bad does happen it's just bad luck, not a punishment.

The elephant in the room for christianity is 'if there is a god, and he is all powerful, why does he let such terrible things happen to innocent people [particularly children]?'

other religions don't have to answer that question. things happen because they do.

Aaron A
15th May 2013, 12:28 AM
Jim,

I cant fault you for atheism. It is clear that you have looked into many religious philosophies, and I do believe that you treat people fairly, in spite of disagreements, you basically hear people out. My kind of Christianity includes and allows room for growth and improvement, for me, you, and all peoples. I am saying this less to inform you what I believe and more to say that we are all on the same rock where mutual respect is currency more valuable than gold.