PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Speaker Techie help

nephertiti
16th July 2011, 04:05 PM
Ok so the ancient pharoroess has finally attached up 4 speakers (2 massive 40 yr old ones and two relatively small ones to an ancient amplifier).....

This surprisingly works....i.e. there is sound coming out of all 4 speakers....

However , the left side speakers make this horrible SSSSSSSSKKKKHHHHHHH crackle sound ....

so the question is.....

Why would it do that?....... and how can I sort it so there is no crackling ....don't want to go jabbing any more wires into random places ???

Yours ever gratefully

San Diego
16th July 2011, 04:13 PM
sounds like it might be blown....I don't think you can fix it.

nephertiti
16th July 2011, 04:24 PM
sounds like it might be blown....I don't think you can fix it.

AWWWWW.....such pessimism....:-( in one so young.....

ok....... maybe a realist

Oh well - I'll just sit on the other side of the room and use the non crackers......

DreamBig
16th July 2011, 04:40 PM
depends on the crackling
could you upload a recording of the sound? It could just be that you have a dodgy connection somewhere. Or they could be blown, like Fi said.

Jimmy Jimmy
16th July 2011, 05:13 PM
If it is both left hand speakers then would seem more likely to be a dodgy connection, I assume that you have split the speakers so that you have an old un and a small un on either side.

Out of interest what is the amp. Does it have the option to run two sets of speakers.

nephertiti
16th July 2011, 05:45 PM
depends on the crackling
could you upload a recording of the sound? It could just be that you have a dodgy connection somewhere. Or they could be blown, like Fi said.

Aanant - my dera young man - I can barely download a photo - I am VERY flattered by the vote of confidence tho.....:razz:

So do speakers crackle when they are gone then? I figured if there is some sound coming out they must be working...oh welll

nephertiti
16th July 2011, 05:49 PM
If it is both left hand speakers then would seem more likely to be a dodgy connection, I assume that you have split the speakers so that you have an old un and a small un on either side.

Out of interest what is the amp. Does it have the option to run two sets of speakers.

It seems to be the left big one mostly ....but I have very cleverly found a dial that allows only the right side ones to work...

It is a Marantz integrated speaker amplifier (reading from the thing) - and there is wee red and black connectors for 2 sets of speakers

They make a hell of a noise - took me 2 days to wire it up....ok that's not intetresting......I wonder if I put the voice too high?

Jimmy Jimmy
16th July 2011, 06:16 PM
It seems to be the left big one mostly ....but I have very cleverly found a dial that allows only the right side ones to work... Assume that is balance button and it does kinda defeat the point of having two sets of speakers as you are losing the stereo effect.

It is a Marantz integrated speaker amplifier (reading from the thing) - and there is wee red and black connectors for 2 sets of speakers. Are they shown as Left 1 and Left 2 and Right 1 and Right 2?

They make a hell of a noise - took me 2 days to wire it up....ok that's not intetresting......I wonder if I put the voice too high?

Apart from making a crackly noise do you hear any of the tune but what you hear sounds way off in the distance. If you do then it could be that the connections need to be checked. With four sets of speaker cables they can easily get muddled. It is a case of making sure that the red and black connections from Speaker 1 goes to left 1 and Speaker 2 to Left 2. If any of these connections are revesed , i.e red from speaker into black on amp it could explain the problem you are having.

I know you spent 2 says connecting it but unconnect the left side and start again and it may well work - don't forget to adjust the balance button back to 0. If that doesn't work the only way to know if it is the speaker or the amp is to switch the speakers around. If the crackle moves to the right hand side then you know it is the speakers. If no crackle then would seem to be a problem with the amp.

It is hard to explain in writing so if the BLRR guys are viewing perhaps they could pop round and give you a hand.

nephertiti
16th July 2011, 10:06 PM
Apart from making a crackly noise do you hear any of the tune but what you hear sounds way off in the distance. If you do then it could be that the connections need to be checked. With four sets of speaker cables they can easily get muddled. It is a case of making sure that the red and black connections from Speaker 1 goes to left 1 and Speaker 2 to Left 2. If any of these connections are revesed , i.e red from speaker into black on amp it could explain the problem you are having.

I know you spent 2 says connecting it but unconnect the left side and start again and it may well work - don't forget to adjust the balance button back to 0. If that doesn't work the only way to know if it is the speaker or the amp is to switch the speakers around. If the crackle moves to the right hand side then you know it is the speakers. If no crackle then would seem to be a problem with the amp.

It is hard to explain in writing so if the BLRR guys are viewing perhaps they could pop round and give you a hand.

Thank you kindly person I checked, and unjammed a few wires and shoved them back.........now all working ....Good thing the nieghbors are away on holiday ...the floor is beatzing

Whooping with delight - amazing!!! Glad it is not broken afer all that ...could I break them by blasting them too high or is that cartoon stuff?

Thankin you kindly Jimmy

TiciaBlovesUB
17th July 2011, 12:47 AM
:bouncered: Hooray! I am glad it worked out!

DreamBig
17th July 2011, 12:56 AM
Neph I told you it was a dodgy connection :roll: [smug]

Glad you got it sorted :grin:

nephertiti
17th July 2011, 03:44 AM
:bouncered: Hooray! I am glad it worked out!

Thanks - I am VERY glad

Neph I told you it was a dodgy connection :roll: [smug]

Glad you got it sorted :grin:

Thanks ...and u deserve to smugly grin....

ANiMALicious
17th July 2011, 09:35 AM
yes neph if you turn them on tooo loud you will blow them ;)

enjoy!

Ani

nephertiti
17th July 2011, 09:21 PM
yes neph if you turn them on tooo loud you will blow them ;)

enjoy!

Ani

Will not put them on too loudly then ...its so enticing tho - cause my neighbor are away .......and I want to celebrate my newly discovered technological aptitude....:beer::square:

Jimmy Jimmy
17th July 2011, 09:27 PM
Will not put them on too loudly then ...its so enticing tho - cause my neighbor are away .......and I want to celebrate my newly discovered technological aptitude....:beer::square:

I want to disturb my neighbours play them the full watts tonight....ina rub a dub style. Robert Nesta Marley.

nephertiti
17th July 2011, 09:38 PM
I want to disturb my neighbours play them the full watts tonight....ina rub a dub style. Robert Nesta Marley.

Ok then! I'll blame you...now you've not only fixed the speakers ...:friends: ..but also wisely told me what to play and how loud to play it......

easily led astray me......

Starshine007
17th July 2011, 09:50 PM
easily led astray me......

I can vouch for that :grin: :friends:

nephertiti
17th July 2011, 10:07 PM
I can vouch for that :grin: :friends:

Hypnosis by the written word.....:bigwink:

Starshine007
17th July 2011, 11:05 PM
Hypnosis by the written word.....:bigwink: