PDA

View Full Version : starting a new band

Dean M
9th July 2010, 08:48 PM
i have decided to start a new band
the band will be called

Dean's UB40

i have sung live with the band over 15 years (all be it in the audiance) but i have sung live with them

i'll get my coat

DreamBig
9th July 2010, 08:49 PM
When you're getting your coat, can you pass me my gun as well?

JB40
9th July 2010, 08:53 PM
I had a business brainwave. The band can pretend to split up. Then we could all do a separate tour, you know, Early B's UB40, BT's UB40, JB's UB40, RBC's UB40.
Then we can get you guys to keep paying over and over again for a similar but inferior product.!

That's business acumen for you. Alan Sugar would be proud.

DreamBig
9th July 2010, 08:55 PM
I had a business brainwave. The band can pretend to split up. Then we could all do a separate tour, you know, Early B's UB40, BT's UB40, JB's UB40, RBC's UB40.
Then we can get you guys to keep paying over and over again for a similar but inferior product.!

however, then the cost of doing 10 different shows would be more expensive than if it was just UB40 performing. not only that but the fans would be splitting 10 ways so there would be very little return on each show

Starshine007
9th July 2010, 08:58 PM
Also - WE on this side aren't that stupid... we'd only pick our fave band member to go see. That's one HUGE audience for RBC :-P

GefferyMorgan
9th July 2010, 08:59 PM
Good one, Jim! :lol:

OR....have ya thought about renaming the band to: THE REAL UB40 and have this slogan attached to all your recordings: ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!

GefferyMorgan
9th July 2010, 09:00 PM
The Real UB40 could be shortened to TRUB40 :D ok....bad idea....LOL

JB40
9th July 2010, 09:02 PM
Ahh but Anant. I've already thought about that.

If I pay the musicians a pittance, and don't bother with any production values [you know, things like a lighting rig and a decent P.A. are too expensive]. And if I don't rehearse too much. And if I make it sort of confusing as to exactly who is playing. You never know what I might get away with.

Of course I won't be able to charge much for my fee

But hey, who cares as long as I get paid.

Starshine007
9th July 2010, 09:04 PM
And bankrupt a shed load of promotors into the bargain? Brilliant idea.

DreamBig
9th July 2010, 09:04 PM
You won't get paid, people will go to one show, see it's crap AND low budget, and then go and see JME or something

JB40
9th July 2010, 09:06 PM
The 'people' will do what I f**king tell em !!

DreamBig
9th July 2010, 09:07 PM
sure they will. you stay optimistic

Dean M

well
i'm looking for a drumber, bass, vocals, brass, lead
ok
i thought the real UB40 would join and i can dance on the side like BEZ from Happy Mondays :( plan foiled

San Diego
Ahh but Anant. I've already thought about that.

If I pay the musicians a pittance, and don't bother with any production values [you know, things like a lighting rig and a decent P.A. are too expensive]. And if I don't rehearse too much. And if I make it sort of confusing as to exactly who is playing. You never know what I might get away with.

Of course I won't be able to charge much for my fee

But hey, who cares as long as I get paid.

perhaps you could buy some cheap, knock-off African shirts in bulk too!

Starshine007
9th July 2010, 09:09 PM
sure they will. you stay optimistic

Anant, you'd be better off being cruel to be kind, not vice versa. Do you know the name of any padded cell manufacturers?

Dean M
9th July 2010, 09:10 PM
perhaps you could buy some cheap, knock-off African shirts in bulk too!

buy some cheap england shirts

GefferyMorgan
9th July 2010, 09:13 PM
If UB40 ever decide they have had enough and want to commit commercial suicide....I mean, in true Hindenburg style, then they could always change their name to UB40's Ali Campbell or some sort and start playing Ali's solo tracks that Brian wrote.....hey, while it sounds ridiculous and it would NEVER HAPPEN, it's exactly what Ali is doing when he's pretending to be UB40.

DreamBig
9th July 2010, 09:33 PM
Anant, you'd be better off being cruel to be kind, not vice versa. Do you know the name of any padded cell manufacturers?

No, sorry, but you could ask the mental hospital where they get theirs from.

Dean M
9th July 2010, 09:33 PM
If UB40 ever decide they have had enough and want to commit commercial suicide....I mean, in true Hindenburg style, then they could always change their name to UB40's Ali Campbell or some sort and start playing Ali's solo tracks that Brian wrote.....hey, while it sounds ridiculous and it would NEVER HAPPEN, it's exactly what Ali is doing when he's pretending to be UB40.

it could be called BT's Ali band ................B's Talliband

Dean M
9th July 2010, 10:38 PM
ok
i guess you dont want me shaking my maraccus on the side of the stage

Starshine007
9th July 2010, 10:41 PM
Having seen some recent stage invaders ejected by Animal in France, I'd say you wouldn't have any maracas left to shake if you did try it Dean :wink:

Dean M
9th July 2010, 11:02 PM
Having seen some recent stage invaders ejected by Animal in France, I'd say you wouldn't have any maracas left to shake if you did try it Dean :wink:

i was hoping for a reply like

mine are bigger and i can shake them better.....from a women of course

im walking towards the coat stand

Sal
9th July 2010, 11:07 PM
ok
i guess you dont want me shaking my maraccus on the side of the stage

Woooooooooooooooooooooo..........now theres a good novelty act :bigwink: :laff: :laff:

Nes B40
9th July 2010, 11:13 PM
well
i'm looking for a drumber, bass, vocals, brass, lead
ok
i thought the real UB40 would join and i can dance on the side like BEZ from Happy Mondays :( plan foiled

Fri 09-Dec-2005 with the Wailers :smile: fantastic gig :smokin:

ANiMALicious
10th July 2010, 08:15 AM
@Nes was that at NEC with Ziggy?

2005 :shock: didnt think it was that long ago !!

Ani

old loonie
10th July 2010, 03:23 PM
You won't get paid, people will go to one show, see it's crap AND low budget, and then go and see JME or something

That is the idea, as if the music industry aint suffering enough we get a certain person who thinks all and sundry are as thick as him,.
Think the UBs should get the astute Kim Revie to join them ,that will get them all out of work

Nes B40
10th July 2010, 04:08 PM
@Nes was that at NEC with Ziggy?

2005 :shock: didnt think it was that long ago !!

Ani

No Ani, it was the M.E.N Arena Special guest The Wailers, don't know weather Ziggy was their with them, but that was the gig where BEZ got up on stage. time flyes :-)

Sal
10th July 2010, 10:04 PM
No Ani, it was the M.E.N Arena Special guest The Wailers, don't know weather Ziggy was their with them, but that was the gig where BEZ got up on stage. time flyes :-)

I was at that one Nes :-D Made me laugh when Bez was dancing about all over the stage :grin:

Nes B40
10th July 2010, 10:23 PM
I was at that one Nes :-D Made me laugh when Bez was dancing about all over the stage :grin:

Lol I didn't even know who he was untill a couple of lads after the gig told me he was lead singer of the Happy Mondays :-), Bet he was buzzin his co*ck off though :lol:8-):smokin: