PDA

View Full Version : World Autism Awareness Day

Erin
31st March 2010, 02:51 PM
Hello Co-UB40 Fans,

Friday, April 2nd is World Autism Awareness Day! Please wear BLUE on that day to show your support for those living with Autism.

Thanks,

Erin

Dutchess
31st March 2010, 09:33 PM
will do Erin My best friend has 4 kids three of em with autism

pgb
31st March 2010, 10:25 PM
Will do that Erin.........:-)

Lilia Urrutia
31st March 2010, 10:52 PM
Yes, I'll wear blue...

j59
31st March 2010, 11:06 PM
Will do Erin :grin:

love jx

Helena
31st March 2010, 11:07 PM
will do Erin My best friend has 4 kids three of em with autism

thats weird cuz i have a friends who has 4 kids and 3 have it. the 2nd, 3rd and 4th (first is fine). how strange.

Erin
1st April 2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks Everyone!

Dutchess, what birth order is your friend's child who does not have Autism? My children are adopted (I have 2) but they have siblings, as far as I know, my Joey is the only one that has it (diagnosed anyway, I have a feeling about some of the others though).

I don't know that I could cope with more than one; in fact, my son is living in a therapuetic home right now, with round-the-clock attendant care workers because he became to aggressive :( Hoping that changes once he's thru puberty (he's 12).

It's interesting that so many families have more than one child with it. I firmly believe it's something to do with food/medications/etc....

anyway, WEAR BLUE, YAY!

~Shaz~ (aka DubGal)
2nd April 2010, 08:19 PM
got my blue on!

Nizzy
2nd April 2010, 09:33 PM
I've been in contact with a few families who have had autistic kids over the years through my job, Erin. It's been truly amazing to see how these youngsters absolutely brighten up the lives of their families with just the slightest improvement in what can often be a very frustrating condition, and one that's often undiagnosed for some time.

One woman told me she can go from screaming "Why me?" at the walls to feeling incredibly blessed and grateful a few minutes later.

Interesting what you say about food and medication - that's something that's been suggested to me more than once as a factor.

Dutchess
3rd April 2010, 10:22 AM
Her firstborn, second and third child have a form of autism (PDD-NOS, Asperger, combination of the two etc etc) the fourth child is only 3 months old so who knows whats in store for that little girl...

Her eldest(son) is now 8, diagnosed at 2, her second son is now 5, her third child (daughter) is now 2,5 and the youngest as I said is 3 months old. Must add that her sister's firstborn(boy, 5 yrs old) is now also diagnosed with Asperger and PDD-NOS, and her younger sister (15) has a mild form of PDD-NOS..it runs in the family for sure.
The oldest two are now in a special school for mentally challenged children(I hate calling them that, they are just two boys with "a usersmanual" lol, u know what I mean). Anyway, great schoolsystem the kids love it there.

My friend Yvonne lives for her children. She puts everything on hold for them, does activities with them, her sociallife is non existent as she keeps a tight schedule to make life as easy as it can be for the children, and if that means no going out or spontaneous visits from friends..so be it. (I on he other hand can drop by anytime as the kids know me very well and dont get upset if I disrupt their daily routine).

Sal
3rd April 2010, 11:04 AM
It's interesting that so many families have more than one child with it. I firmly believe it's something to do with food/medications/etc....

anyway, WEAR BLUE, YAY!

Count me in on this one.......our eldest grandson (my stepsdaughters son) is Autisic (Aspergers Syndrome) and she and her husband are having a terrilbe time with him at the moment. I do think medication and food plays some part in the problem. Not sure what medication he's on but I know they do try to keep him on a gluten-free diet. They really have had to fight very hard to get the little bit of help they are getting from social services. He's 10 years old now and is now becoming quite violent and the older and bigger he gets, the harder it is becoming for them to handle him. He goes to a special school and they have now managed to secure a place for him in respite at a home for an alloted amount of time through the year so at least they now know they will have a small amount of time to themselves for a break from him.

Mike.
3rd April 2010, 11:58 AM
Great cause. I am wearing blue tomorrow cos I only just spotted the post!

Erin
5th April 2010, 05:02 PM
Vaccinations, additives to foods, etc...does it "cause" Autism? Who knows? But it can't be good for you either. And, those things may only effect kids who were prone to it anyway. Maybe it's also telling that many children don't really show signs until around age 2 which is typically when they start eating anything and everything and getting more immunizations....

Ah well, it is what it is and you just have to cope. I had a great day with my boy yesterday - he is very very funny! Sat for hours taking apart my old car stereo.