PDA

View Full Version : Question for American loonies

rhondda rudie
29th January 2010, 01:25 AM
I've just been watching Fox News.The slogan for the channel is "Fair and Balanced" but its like watching a right wing version of Pravda.Nearly all the commentators and guests are conservatives and anyone of the liberal persuasion gets shouted down.Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity are 2 of the worst offenders and as for Glenn Beck,he should seek professional help.The ignorance they display when talking about British National Health Service is simply staggering yet from what I understand Fox News is slaughtering its rivals in the ratings.We all know Americans to be pleasant,decent,and above all hospitable people.You only have to look at the pages on this bb to see that so can you explain to me the success of this channel?

Jolene
29th January 2010, 03:52 AM
I don't know what to say except that for as many level headed, reasonable Americans there are, there are also quite a few dumb f**** out there as well. But I guess that could probably be said about anywhere. It's human nature.

:love: Jolene

PS.... Baggariddim says they are not slaughtering the competition in their ratings and they've never been fair or balanced. It's an infomercial for the right winged party.

Kodiak
29th January 2010, 05:49 PM
I'm not an American, but I know that we make fun of Fox all the time, they were known as one of the trashier stations for a long time. Now, I think they hired people to try and throw in some politics, etc. and they are all right-winged and slightly off their rockers. lol

And being from Canada, but being a news junkie, I have read a million stories in the press over the last few years from the States about how bad free healthcare is, and of course, they try to use our system and England's as examples. Problem is, the "facts" they keep using are completely wrong. And most Americans don't know much about our system and therefore believe them. I still think that our system is very good, FREE, and no, we don't have to wait five years for a doctor's appointment (that one in one story made me laugh so hard). They are using fear tactics to get people to vote it out because if they had free healthcare, they would lose millions of dollars in payments for something that most other countries get for free. Do they really think that we are so daft as to not have created a tiered health care system if the one we have had all this time was that bad?

San Diego
29th January 2010, 05:52 PM
I'm afraid Mr. Bagga is wrong, Fox News, much to my great chagrin, always has the number one spot in the TV news ratings. I hate Fox news, especially Bill (I'm a complete ass) O'Reilly...he makes my skin crawl, he's the most arrogant, smug bstrd I've ever seen on TV... I can't change the channel fast enough. Tom, another interesting factoid to add to your question, for some reason over here, conservative talk radio is huge!!!! They attract thousands and thousands of listeners, but the Liberals have never been able to do it successfully. A few years ago, Al Franken and a group of likemindeds tried to start a Liberal talk radio show by the name of Air America, and for some reason it only lasted aproximately a year. I've always been baffled why the Liberals can't/won't jump on board with a liberal raio talkshow.... Perhaps it's our lack of rabidity that hinders us.

Cable News Ratings for Tuesday January 26, 2010
Posted on 27 January 2010 by Robert Seidman

Live + Same Day Cable News Daily Ratings for January 26, 2010

FNC – 1,617,000 viewers
CNN – 446,000 viewers
MSNBC –350,000 viewers
CNBC – 212,000 viewers
HLN –398,000 viewers

FNC – 3,044,000 viewers
CNN – 657,000 viewers
MSNBC –684,000 viewers
CNBC – 213,000 viewers
HLN –796,000 viewers

JB40
29th January 2010, 06:12 PM
At just over 1 million it doesn't compare to the major terestrial channels. Just the news channels. So in a country of so many millions it's a drop in the ocean. I suppose fox is just a ghetto for unreconstructed rabid right-wingers.
Don't forget all those people that voted for Obama. Fox new's numbers pale in comparison.

JB40
29th January 2010, 06:13 PM
I meant 3 million, sorry.
Still a p*ss in the ocean.

San Diego
29th January 2010, 06:34 PM
I agree.... but it's still amazing that Fox is still the top viewer rated news network.

It's quite interesting to note, that the Independent voter is now the swing vote in the national political arena. I think in these times of economical unrest/disquiet, that people aren't looking to follow traditional platforms by voting party lines of the past. It would indicate that they aren't looking for more of the same and that they're voting for the "guy" rather than the party.

JB40
29th January 2010, 06:38 PM
Going on from what you said earlier Fi.
It must be, to a lot of people, that bombast is more entertaining than reason.

San Diego
29th January 2010, 06:57 PM
Quite true, but I didn't think one looked to the news to be entertained, I thought one watched it to become informed.

JB40
29th January 2010, 07:15 PM
Welcome to the world of infotainment.

San Diego
29th January 2010, 07:32 PM
((Hands back "Infotainment" Lei))

Oh... no thanks, I'd like to keep my remaining brain cell intact... :laff:

JB40
29th January 2010, 07:38 PM
Yes, I prefer to call it by it's original old English word. . . . .BO**OX !!

San Diego
29th January 2010, 07:46 PM
Speaking of Bollo* .... tis a bit boring here this morning :ooh:

JB40
29th January 2010, 07:52 PM
Maybe it's the time of year Fi. Over here, January and February are always dead months. Ad to that the recession and it's a recipe for lethargy and mild depression.

rhondda rudie
29th January 2010, 11:40 PM
Many thanks for your replies.Kodiak is spot on.These people are deliberatly misleading the American public.I also take Fi's point about talk radio as the main man in that arena seems to be Rush Limbaugh who would be laughed of the air here.For anyone who hasn't heard him he's like a US version of Nick Griffin.Jolene,as I said in the original post I'm a great admirer of American people and you are quite right to say that f***heads exist everywhere.It's just that in most countries they haven't got their own TV channel.Jimmy,what concerns me is Fox is owned by Murdoch.Doesn't it sicken you to watch British party leaders licking his arse to gain the endorsment of the Sun for example.What happens if Cameron gets in and we end up with broadcasting laws like the US.Sky News could end up like Fox News.

Seahorse
30th January 2010, 03:39 AM
I will not watch O'Reilly, Hannity or Beck on tv. I get so frustrated with the biased drivel and propaganda, especially when it comes to the health reform here. What an absolute load of bo**ox. Come to think of it, I won't watch any U.S. news programmes/channels, if I want a story, I'll go to the library. Trouble is so many don't see how it is here.

Lilia Urrutia
30th January 2010, 04:01 AM
Another adition to the FOX network, Sarah Palin will join soon, hang on cuz it's gonna be a ride....

GefferyMorgan
30th January 2010, 04:14 AM
Fox isn't fair and balanced at all...and yes it is very conservative. Sadly though, it's either that or the ultra liberal CNN which is on the other end of the spectrum....as for me, I wouldn't piss on FOX or CNN....both are ridiculous. Both are out to espouse their political views....they don't tell the truth.

To quote a UB40 song: I'm not fooled so easily....

bt/ub40
30th January 2010, 09:33 AM
Its a sad fact that the lowest common denominator is always going to get attention from the more cerebral discerning commentator, thats half of Fox news success, we love to laugh at it, scream at it, turn it off but we mostly love to agree with each other what a right wing conservative tit Bill O'reilly is and don't get us started on Hannity...And before us Limeys get too up ourselves FOX supremo/owner Rupert Murdoch publishes The Sun and the News Of The World which are both at least equal if not even more downright despicable in their news coverage and happen to be the UK's best selling newspapers..even though the good people of Liverpool have unofficially banned its sale by simply refusing to buy it...As JB said..'welcome to the world of infotainment'
Great post Rhondda Rudie...

rhondda rudie
30th January 2010, 11:59 PM
Its a sad fact that the lowest common denominator is always going to get attention from the more cerebral discerning commentator, thats half of Fox news success, we love to laugh at it, scream at it, turn it off but we mostly love to agree with each other what a right wing conservative tit Bill O'reilly is and don't get us started on Hannity...And before us Limeys get too up ourselves FOX supremo/owner Rupert Murdoch publishes The Sun and the News Of The World which are both at least equal if not even more downright despicable in their news coverage and happen to be the UK's best selling newspapers..even though the good people of Liverpool have unofficially banned its sale by simply refusing to buy it...As JB said..'welcome to the world of infotainment'
Great post Rhondda Rudie...

Thanks Brian.Don't get me wrong,I'm not at all smug about the situation here in the UK.As you rightly say this sort of poison is already all to evident in the Murdoch press.Only the current broadcasting laws have prevented its spread in to radio and TV and laws can be changed.Imagine a UK version of Fox News with Gary Bushell and Jon Gaunt as British substitutes fo O'Reilly and Hannity.Not a pleasant thought,is it?