PDA

View Full Version : "Is Britain is being dumbed down?"

Rebel Soul
15th January 2010, 01:56 PM
Or "Is Britain Being Dumbed Down?" (in case anyone noticed the title)

Was chatting about this with family members. A few of these points came up:

Katie Price's "memoirs" have been a best seller for the past year or so. Before that it was Victoria Beckham.

In a poll taken about 5 years ago, the biggest role model for schoolboys was Pete Doherty for girls it was Abi Titmuss (!!)

A child who is intelligent and smart is regarded as a 'geek' or a 'dork', especially males. They may even get bullied for it.

Great actors and scriptwriters can't get a job on tv because the screens have been infiltrated by makeover shows, cooking programmes, "reality" tv (more like illusion tv) and a talent show where the winners turn out to have careers of the longevity of a worm's lifespan.

And yet more examples could be cited.

Are these the symptoms that Britain is being dumbed down (and most likely other parts of the world) ?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Helena
15th January 2010, 02:05 PM
will reply later imani i'm just watching big brother :P

Rebel Soul
15th January 2010, 06:02 PM
The BB must be dumbed down 'cos no-one even pointed out my 'grammatical typo' in the title!

Waltjo
15th January 2010, 07:23 PM
sad reflection on society isn't it :|

Rebel Soul
16th January 2010, 09:37 AM
Hi Mags, Helena and all loonies,

I'd also be pleased to hear about exceptions to what looks like a prevailing trend, btw. This isn't intended as a 'bashing thread'. But anyone who wants to "bash", feel free- it's a free forum.

Thanks in advance.

MicheleM
16th January 2010, 10:05 AM
Lol at Helena saying she will reply after watching Celeb BB!!

Interesting topic Imani, there was an interesting article in the Observer Review last week saying that literary tv coverage in the UK, compared with France, Italy or the US is shameful, and that uk tv coverage currently includes food, interior decoration, celebs, cars, fishing, gardening etc etc and surely we can squeeze in a few minutes for books (although the TV Book Club is soon to be launched).

Does tv just give the public want they want? Apparently there is an incredible public appetite for contemporary writers and the article asks 'is it not tv's duty to respond to this?'

Michele x

j59
16th January 2010, 02:14 PM
Lol at Helena saying she will reply after watching Celeb BB!!

Interesting topic Imani, there was an interesting article in the Observer Review last week saying that literary tv coverage in the UK, compared with France, Italy or the US is shameful, and that uk tv coverage currently includes food, interior decoration, celebs, cars, fishing, gardening etc etc and surely we can squeeze in a few minutes for books (although the TV Book Club is soon to be launched).

Does tv just give the public want they want? Apparently there is an incredible public appetite for contemporary writers and the article asks 'is it not tv's duty to respond to this?'

Michele x

Michele, doesn't a TV Book Club sum up the theory of dumbing down? Should we switch off the Telly and just read the books?

Having said that, I watch crap on the telly like everyone else, lol.

love jx

Starshine007
16th January 2010, 02:18 PM
Not everyone else J

j59
16th January 2010, 02:29 PM
Not everyone else J

Well I don't watch Big Brother, so I don't watch ALL crap, sis.

love jx

Starshine007
16th January 2010, 04:40 PM
There's hope for you yet J :wink:

MicheleM
16th January 2010, 05:04 PM
Hi J,
I don’t think television per se is dumbing down, it’s the programming content that worries me, and I am always looking for my next good read, so a programme that provided inspiration, interviewed new writers, explored different themes etc would be fine with me. Saying that, when’s the new series of the Apprentice on ?!!
Michele x

queenv
16th January 2010, 07:35 PM
Regarding TV maybe it is more about the producers meeting public demand, if high volume of viewers watches these types of programmes, they will continue to make and air them. Judging by the types of programmes mentioned by Imani; I wonder whether TV is primarily being used as a way of de-stressing or escapism rather than for stimulating the brain cells.

queenv
16th January 2010, 09:02 PM
Or "Is Britain Being Dumbed Down?" (in case anyone noticed the title)

Was chatting about this with family members. A few of these points came up:

Katie Price's "memoirs" have been a best seller for the past year or so. Before that it was Victoria Beckham.

In a poll taken about 5 years ago, the biggest role model for schoolboys was Pete Doherty for girls it was Abi Titmuss (!!)

A child who is intelligent and smart is regarded as a 'geek' or a 'dork', especially males. They may even get bullied for it.

And yet more examples could be cited.

Are these the symptoms that Britain is being dumbed down (and most likely other parts of the world) ?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Imani this is a really interesting thread. I am not certain that I feel that celebrities have a profound impact on young people.

However I do know that after eleven years of schooling, kids are still struggling to get five GCSE’s (including Maths and English). I do agree that peer pressure is a factor that has hindered academic development; being dumb seems to be the in thing (as you mentioned) and that is really sad because life choices then become limited for those who do not gain a reasonably good education.

Technology could also be seen as contributory factor with plagiarism, spell check, T9 predictive text, games; all restricting natural ability to explore, discover and develop. Having access to vast amounts of information is great if you have the ability to evaluate, infer or deduce its meaning. It is so easy for individuals to copy and paste reams of information from the net without fully understanding its content. I wonder how many of those individuals would take the time to type up pages and pages of information they acquired from a book.

JB40
21st January 2010, 01:59 PM
Just a little comment about dumbing down.
It's turned out that, rather than hurting good grammar, texting actually improves over-all spelling. A recent study showed that those who text the most are actually better at conventional reading and writing. So it isn't having a negative effect on language.

6 String
21st January 2010, 02:04 PM
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

flyin'irie
21st January 2010, 02:16 PM
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

:mrgreen: Nice one... I bet it took you longer than normal to type it though... so is ti really useful?

Some professional psychometric tests are based on this...
But I suppose kids in their learning phases still need to be taught the right order

6 String
21st January 2010, 02:19 PM
Nah mtae, I jsut coepid & pstaed it :D

JB40
21st January 2010, 02:20 PM
chaet !

flyin'irie
21st January 2010, 02:23 PM
Nah mtae, I jsut coepid & pstaed it :D

:lol: you vilain

flyin'irie
21st January 2010, 02:39 PM
are actually better at conventional reading and writing.

...er...
Does the study mentions if it's actually as a result of them texting ?