PDA

View Full Version : Pubs closing

6 String
9th January 2010, 01:34 PM
Just thought I'd start a new thread rather than take the Bono/Bowie isp thread off topic, but further to Bowie's comment that touring is the only way to make money, someone commented about the better live acts being able to stand out more. Whilst that's true, the opportunity to play live in this country is diminishing rapidly by the day.

You might be aware of some of the campaigns to save British pubs, fair pint, the struggle against blood-sucking pubcos e.t.c. The fact that for the last few years, 30-50 pubs have been forced to close EVERY DAY!

For most of my adult life, I have made a living from gigging in pubs, or at times when I had a 'proper' job, it would bump up the crap wages

Things are so different now though. I go out as a solo act, just me, my guitar & backing tracks plus karaoke if anyone wants to sing. Its just not possible now to a) find enough places where a full band can play and b) find enough places where a full band can play and earn any money. Back in the early 90s there was live music everywhere, you could just do deps and be working all weekend, every weekend.

But with so many pubs closing, lots of the established locally known 'music pubs' either gone, turned into gastro pubs or only putting on 'tribute bands', where are even the good live acts going to come from in the future? So many of todays top bands started out this way, UB's included (I think you guys used to play in a club in Kilburn, which is now just a gap in the Edgware Road)..

j59
9th January 2010, 02:06 PM
Think this subject was talked about a lot with the Rainbow gig.

don't know what the answer is to pubs closing, other than the supermarkets selling beer cheaper than pubs. Peeps becoming more insular maybe with computers etc?

Only my thoughts.

love jx

Starshine007
9th January 2010, 02:07 PM
Rescind the smoking ban.....

j59
9th January 2010, 02:09 PM
Rescind the smoking ban.....

I'd agree, but pubs have been closing down for at least 10 years or more on a regular basis, M.

love jx

Starshine007
9th January 2010, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't know Jen I'm not really a pub person.

On my way back from Watford last Sunday I did notice that 2 pubs within a short distance of each other had closed in the past couple of months....

6 String
9th January 2010, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't know Jen I'm not really a pub person.

On my way back from Watford last Sunday I did notice that 2 pubs within a short distance of each other had closed in the past couple of months....
You'll see that on just about any main road in Britain now. :(

Dean M
9th January 2010, 04:26 PM
my mother inlaws pub closed just before xmas
it is now just flat land waiting to be redeveloped

these developerrs dont waste time