PDA

View Full Version : Snow

JB40
7th January 2010, 10:04 PM
Don'tchya just love it when it snows in England.?
Normally, on a school day, I get up at 7am and spend the next hour trying to prize the kids eyes open. A bit like they used to do to me when they were 2 years old and had just woken up at 5am. Wifey will do it when I'm not there.
But a really unusual thing has happened these last two mornings. I was woken BEFORE 7am with the vision of a happy beaming child.
Because the school announces whether it is going to stay closed each morning, my squids have been getting up and going to the school web site for confirmation. Then they can't wait to wake me up long enough to tell me schools out. Then it's a high five, and we all go back to sleep. I'm betting it's going to go on for a little while yet.

homelygal1963
7th January 2010, 10:07 PM
AWWWWWW :love: :friends:
Thats painted a lovely picture JB....

Sal
7th January 2010, 10:11 PM

...........NO !!!!!!....:madder:

San Diego
7th January 2010, 10:25 PM
I miss snow!

pgb
7th January 2010, 10:33 PM
I love snow.:bounce:

NUB40
7th January 2010, 10:36 PM
I do like the snow...........from inside my warm house :D

When i have to go out i hate it......... :roll:

j59
7th January 2010, 10:44 PM
Normally, on a school day, I get up at 7am and spend the next hour trying to prize the kids eyes open. A bit like they used to do to me when they were 2 years old and had just woken up at 5am. Wifey will do it when I'm not there.
But a really unusual thing has happened these last two mornings. I was woken BEFORE 7am with the vision of a happy beaming child.
Because the school announces whether it is going to stay closed each morning, my squids have been getting up and going to the school web site for confirmation. Then they can't wait to wake me up long enough to tell me schools out. Then it's a high five, and we all go back to sleep. I'm betting it's going to go on for a little while yet.

My son only got one day off, yesterday, back to normal today. Well, only 40 kids turned up out 500 though, lol.

love jx

Helena
7th January 2010, 10:56 PM
my eldests school was closed today - on a day i'm at work. tomorrow when i'm off work, on the one day i might have had a lie in, i now have to get up and take her in as it looks as if her schools open again. grrrrrrr

~Shaz~ (aka DubGal)
7th January 2010, 11:11 PM
Ditto JB
our kids have been off since Dec 22nd
were due back yesterday...but we've got an extended holiday thanks to the white stuff...not sure when they'll be back..i dont miss the 7am alarm!

kate13
7th January 2010, 11:55 PM
Ditto JB
our kids have been off since Dec 22nd
were due back yesterday...but we've got an extended holiday thanks to the white stuff...not sure when they'll be back..i dont miss the 7am alarm!

Ours went back tues, sent home at dinnertime, yesterday 7.50 AM it went on the school website, school starts 8.30 i'd already sent him back to bed, we had no buses they were stuck in the bus depot, snows not the problem here it's the ice, if we have any more snow over the weekend :lol: anyways i'm joying the lie in.

raamatukogu
8th January 2010, 08:00 AM
I love the snow and the schools are not closed if have much snow but only if it is cold -25.
There are currently about 1 meter thick layer of snow
Here is also a small gallery:
Talvepilt, 3. nädal - Galeriid - Postimees.ee - Talvepilt, 3. nädal (http://www.postimees.ee/?g=625&redir=#25310)

Helena
8th January 2010, 08:26 AM
I love the snow and the schools are not closed if have much snow but only if it is cold -25.
There are currently about 1 meter thick layer of snow
Here is also a small gallery:
Talvepilt, 3. nädal - Galeriid - Postimees.ee - Talvepilt, 3. nädal (http://www.postimees.ee/?g=625&redir=#25310)

1 meter of snow? :shock:

raamatukogu
8th January 2010, 09:02 AM
Not everywhere,
it is not cities but in villages
It rains every day, and whirl.
Helgi

queenv
8th January 2010, 05:05 PM
7 am in the morning lucky you !! My young man starts from 7 pm the night before. First its Face book and MSN where the students announce that the school will be closed!! Then is the BBC weather website to check whether it is going to snow during the night. Then he checks the school website for any announcements (even though they do not make a decision until the morning). Then its the county council website just in case its on there. Its driving me nuts!!!

The thing is I cant remember ever having a day off for snow during the whole of my school days. I understand that now schools are concerned about litigation but years ago if you felt a broke a limb, most parents called you a ‘prat’ and you went back to school as soon as you were able to.

I myself am a warm bug, 80 degrees in the shade it just fine for me. The only thing I do like is the lovely picturesque scenes from indoors!!

San Diego
8th January 2010, 05:15 PM
I miss the idea of snow!!! But wouldn't go back for all the tea in China :laff: I grew up on the East coast not far from Boston, and the snow storms we would get there would dump as much as 2 feet over-night. As kids we used to get up extra early and huddle around the radio just waiting for them to announce the closures!!! :laff: :laff:

It's been in the high 70's all week long and I've been complaining about being cold :laff:

queenv
8th January 2010, 05:29 PM
It's been in the high 70's all week long :laff:

That's it I'm moving in, get my bedroom ready Fi :love::love:

San Diego
8th January 2010, 05:31 PM
That's it I'm moving in, get my bedroom ready Fi :love::love:

How fortuitous for you, I've just let the old maid go, you can have a room and a job!

queenv
8th January 2010, 05:39 PM
How fortuitous for you, I've just let the old maid go, you can have a room and a job!

The room sounds good but my royal status doesn't include working! Gracious me - the thought of it make me quiver

Helena
8th January 2010, 05:43 PM
stupid snow. got stuck today. need a 4x4.

Starshine007
8th January 2010, 05:46 PM
I haven't gone near the cars since Tuesday. Far easier to put on the old hiking boots and let public transport take the strain. As much as I hate having to wait for buses I don't want the trauma of a few years ago when me and the car were skidding down the hill. A 5 minute drive took an hour and the same journey only took me 20 minutes to walk last night (got home too late for the buses). Glad you got unstuck in the end Hels.

Helena
8th January 2010, 06:21 PM
I haven't gone near the cars since Tuesday. Far easier to put on the old hiking boots and let public transport take the strain. As much as I hate having to wait for buses I don't want the trauma of a few years ago when me and the car were skidding down the hill. A 5 minute drive took an hour and the same journey only took me 20 minutes to walk last night (got home too late for the buses). Glad you got unstuck in the end Hels.

ahh but thats not as easy with young kids. it's near impossible to push a buggy in the snow.

Starshine007
8th January 2010, 06:24 PM
I forgot about the dustbin lids.

Luci Lockit
8th January 2010, 06:25 PM
Glad you got unstuck in the end Hels.

She'd still be stuck in it now if it hadn't been for Robin's superb driving! :wink:

Starshine007
8th January 2010, 06:26 PM
She'd still be stuck in it now if it hadn't been for Robin's superb driving! :wink:

Big pat on the back to RBC :grin:

~Shaz~ (aka DubGal)
8th January 2010, 07:06 PM
our minister for education has closed all schools in Ireland til at least thurs 14th..

Anniemg
8th January 2010, 07:15 PM
is it really bad where you are then Sharon? I've only had 1 day off grrrrr :lol: It was a fun family day though.....until I got a snowball in the face care of my lovely hubby :laff:

NUB40
8th January 2010, 07:54 PM
stupid snow. got stuck today. need a 4x4.

Is this the snow thats mentioned in the news section :???: :???: :lol:

Nice one RBC :D

jstancer
8th January 2010, 08:56 PM

can you believe it mate that bloody haybridge didnt start till 10.25am today..........why bother

WINI
8th January 2010, 10:25 PM
Oh JB i like the snow but enough already lol, i can stand at my front door and slide to my front gate trust me on that one.I live in the South East and most of the schools are closed but oh no not the college, don't get me wrong my son gets up early enough but my god after that he's like preening himself which seems like ages,grumbling to himself how come the schools are closed and not the college, like they have not had a christmas break already.

JB40
8th January 2010, 10:55 PM
can you believe it mate that bloody haybridge didnt start till 10.25am today..........why bother

Funny you should say that Jon. Today, we didn't bother.

stubby
8th January 2010, 11:34 PM
The snow pics on TV have been amazing, showed you UK from a satellite shot and it was just ALL white everywhere.
Its looking good to me though after being told we've got 41c today and tomorrow and 45 for three days next week. I think I'd rather be cold and get wrapped up, 40c odd is just too much!!:???::-D

San Diego
8th January 2010, 11:37 PM
I'll take the heat, Stubble, I hate being cold..

kate13
9th January 2010, 12:17 AM
I do like the snow when it's proper snow, at the moment everyone's walking round like penguins just to stay upright :lol:

Helena
9th January 2010, 12:50 PM

yes he saved the day. don't think minis are designed for the snow. :shock:

Starshine007
9th January 2010, 01:03 PM
We had a further sprinkling overnight. Just a dusting of it mind. I still managed to get to the shops and stock up on essentials :D

JB40
9th January 2010, 01:36 PM
I'll take the heat, Stubble, I hate being cold..

It must be difficult when the only way you can keep warm is to lie on a rock, in the sun. We humans can generate our own heat.

NUB40
9th January 2010, 02:03 PM
We had a further sprinkling overnight. Just a dusting of it mind. I still managed to get to the shops and stock up on essentials :D

According to the weather man were going to have a bad dose of snow tomorrow and Monday :shock:

Si ive stocked up too,cant open a cupboard now without anything falling at you.............now im ready to get snowed in the weather man will be wrong and we wont have a flake of snow drop :roll:

Starshine007
9th January 2010, 02:08 PM
Hope you didn't buy junk crap to stock up on :lol:

NUB40
9th January 2010, 02:15 PM
Of course i didnt :grin:

Starshine007
9th January 2010, 02:17 PM
Why don't I believe you? :lol:

~Shaz~ (aka DubGal)
9th January 2010, 05:08 PM
is it really bad where you are then Sharon? I've only had 1 day off grrrrr :lol: It was a fun family day though.....until I got a snowball in the face care of my lovely hubby :laff:

its not that the snow is that bad...its just lasting far longer than anyone imagined...or the government were prepared for!
all the paths are just pure ice cos the big wigs only decided to have an emergency meeting about it almost 3 weeks into the big freeze...we're running out of grit/sand/salt......
so for "health and safety reasons" the country is at a standstill.

oh i'm fed up listening to it all now...plonkers!

NUB40
9th January 2010, 06:07 PM
Through all the snow and ice nobody gave the lane i live down a thought :roll:

Now its starting to clear......they came down and gritted it yesterday .....idiots :evil:

ellibobs
9th January 2010, 06:23 PM
It's merely a dusting, I don't know what all the fuss is about :laff: :laff:

Sal
9th January 2010, 06:31 PM

Sheesh, you've been very lucky then Annie :smile:

We have'nt been without snow since a week before Xmas up here in sunny Bolton !! :shock: Its a constant struggle trying to get my car on and off the drive not to mention trying to get out of the street. I'm really cheesed off with the white stuff now :madder:

Fromtheislandinthesun
9th January 2010, 06:44 PM
hey JB saw the snow conditions on BBC World wow how do you all manage!!
do hope its does get better soon..in the meantime if i had powers would surely have some 80s F over to you all...take care stay warm.....

JB40
9th January 2010, 06:58 PM
Hi Karl.
We love the snow in my family. It's an excuse to stay cosy in the house, watch old movies and eat.

NUB40
9th January 2010, 07:02 PM
I can do all that without an excuse Jimmy :grin:

Starshine007
9th January 2010, 07:26 PM
I can do all that without an excuse Jimmy :grin:

Specially the eating :wink:

Then again I'm not totally perfect :lol:

NUB40
9th January 2010, 08:33 PM
Specially the eating :wink:

Then again I'm not totally perfect :lol:

Ive quoted that for future reference :grin:

Starshine007
9th January 2010, 08:36 PM
Ive quoted that for future reference :grin:

I knew I could count on you :lol:

Gives me something to aspire to I suppose :wink:

Lots of cars going up and down the road at the moment, at least they're getting rid of the snow on the road so that I can go back out tomorrow :D

Starshine007
13th January 2010, 08:40 AM
Ok hands up, who's had more snow overnight?

*Waves hand in air*

Back to trudging up the road to the bus stop, but I still made it into work like a trouper. Not sure what's happened to everyone else though, particularly those who live round the corner. Bit annoying really, the pavement by the bus stop near work had only just thawed from having become a skating rink, now its all white again.

Snowball fight anyone? :roll:

oLdbOi
13th January 2010, 08:58 AM
it's plops!....more snow...some kinda mix of anyways.....fed up with it!

bOi

Waltjo
13th January 2010, 10:00 AM
Snow here :| in fact it's still snowing :shock::shock:

6 String
13th January 2010, 10:15 AM
Plenty of snow here in North London.

oLdbOi
13th January 2010, 10:25 AM
I see it 6 string...NorfbOi

JANEY
13th January 2010, 11:14 AM
Snow here :| in fact it's still snowing :shock::shock:

What she said .......... can you see me waving Mich :laff: I don't want to play any more

NUB40
13th January 2010, 12:09 PM
Snow here overnight :roll: not too thick but thick enough to cause chaos in the lane :evil:

Main roads clear but loads of traffic on the road it took me 45min to take junior to school today :roll: fine snow been falling all morning,it is fine but in 3 1/2hr it covered my tyre tracks at home :shock: ive been and stocked up my cupboards and "fag stash" :wink: :lol:

Starshine007
13th January 2010, 12:47 PM
Always a good idea to have plenty of "fags" in stock :wink:

homelygal1963
13th January 2010, 04:07 PM
It completely missed Canford Heath in Poole but snowed all around us last night!!!! :roll:
I'm peed off cos I actually want some snow to go out & take pictures... :mad: :sad:
All I can say is Thank God I don't live in my brothers garage anymore.... :wink:
Think I would have either drowned with all that rain begining of December or froze into a hoooge icecube!!! :grin:
It was ideal from June thro to begining of November....but so pleased that I am in a nice warm house albeit just a room but hey beggars can't be choosers..... :bouncepurple: