PDA

View Full Version : District 9

JB40
7th January 2010, 06:13 PM
Watched district 9 on blu-ray last night, and I have to say what a really well made and original movie it is. There are so many good things about it it's hard to know where to start. Lets go with the subject matter first.
Even though it has taken ideas from other sci-fi movies, particularly Alien Nation, it takes them somewhere really surprising. The idea of alien newcomers turning into the new underclass is not original but D9 has so much density and so many layers spinning at the same time it forces the viewer ever deeper into the subject. It uses the language of racism to dig under the surface. The aliens aren't just ugly and smelly but are accused of being de-motivated, lazy and feckless. Which becomes a self fulfilling prophecy given the treatment that is meted out to them. So it becomes a vicious circle. Highlighting the brutality of the human beaureucracy. The Hollywood version [Alien Nation] was shallow in comparison.
This is obviously a low budget movie but the use of CGI was startling. There's none of that feet-not-quite-on-the-ground and unconvincing movement of other more expensive CGI epics. The Aliens look convincingly real, not obviously added in post production. After suffering the portentous, glum bombast of the recent Terminator bore it was a shock to find yourself wondering how some shots were achieved. And enjoying the wit and invention of the filmakers. Wit being the operative word. The film is full grotesque slapstick, but it also has some very charming touches, particularly the cute baby alien.
D9 also uses post modern narrative techniques to great effect. Mockumentry and faux news footage fill in the background details in the opening of the movie. And inter cutting with CCTV shots keep the visuals jumping throughout the main body of the film. But the story unfolds in such surprising ways it was probably unnecessary. Taking a lead from 'Cloverfield' it uses it's effects to give the impression of realism not just for spectacle, making it completely convincing.
D9 also delivers as an action movie, the scenes of carnage in the shanty town are sometimes hard to take. With viscera flying every which way. But it doesn't follow the predictable route of other action movies [a 15 min action scene every 10 mins] Rather the action comes from plot, instead of the other way round.
it's not for everyone, the violence is casual and brutal, but if you like surprises then this is the most original movie in years. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Erin
7th January 2010, 06:41 PM
Well, my son has been wanting to see it. I haven't been interested but since JIMMY saw it and gave it a 4 out of 5, guess I'll HAVE to see it.

JB40
7th January 2010, 06:49 PM
I put it on last thing last night in bed. Wife doesn't like sci-fi action movies much so was gonna have a quick look and watch the whole movie at a later date. But we were both gripped from the first minute to the last. Wife was full of praise for the movie this morning, it's the kind of movie that stays with you. It's not a young kids movie, but teenagers should enjoy it.

San Diego
7th January 2010, 06:51 PM
Poor WIFE... Do you ever call her by her real name... or does she just answer to wife at your beck and call.

JB40
7th January 2010, 06:55 PM
Poor WIFE... Do you ever call her by her real name... or does she just answer to wife at your beck and call.

She's called 'Yes Mistress', and occasionally 'No Mistress' Fi.

McDUB BOY aka Superal
7th January 2010, 06:57 PM
Pikey,

i,ll shut the door

McDUB BOY aka Superal
7th January 2010, 06:58 PM
I what to see it too,once we get beta max

San Diego
7th January 2010, 06:59 PM
She's called 'Yes Mistress', and occasionally 'No Mistress' Fi.

Ahhh she's a girl after my heart.... hard as nails and bossy. ((sigh))

McDUB BOY aka Superal
7th January 2010, 07:00 PM
Hooves you meen

JB40
7th January 2010, 07:00 PM
Ahhh she's a girl after my heart.... hard as nails and bossy. ((sigh))

And she can drink an alcoholic sailor under the table.

San Diego
7th January 2010, 07:03 PM
And she can drink an alcoholic sailor under the table.

I think we may be related....... :shock: I was adopted!

McDUB BOY aka Superal
7th January 2010, 07:05 PM
Dracula was you dad

JB40
7th January 2010, 07:07 PM
She also uses bad language that would make a gangster rapper's eyes water.

McDUB BOY aka Superal
7th January 2010, 07:08 PM
Who fi

JB40
7th January 2010, 07:08 PM
Dracula was you dad

I don't think he knew what was coming when she asked how he liked his stake.

JB40
7th January 2010, 07:09 PM
Who fi

No bernie, i was talking about my wifey.

San Diego
7th January 2010, 07:09 PM
She also uses bad language that would make a gangster rapper's eyes water.

LMFAO... Can you let her know that you've found her long lost sister? :laff: Bet you can't wait for the family reunion now :laff:

McDUB BOY aka Superal
7th January 2010, 07:11 PM
No comment then,poor thing

JB40
7th January 2010, 07:11 PM
In my minds eye I can see Marge Simpsons sisters.

McDUB BOY aka Superal
7th January 2010, 07:13 PM
Splitting me sides jimmy , to much

San Diego
7th January 2010, 07:16 PM
In my minds eye I can see Marge Simpsons sisters.

Spooky...does she dangle a ciggie from her lips when she talks too??? :ooh:

JB40
7th January 2010, 07:19 PM
And talks in a deep growly voice.
But it's OK because she's a babe, it just adds to the allure.

McDUB BOY aka Superal
7th January 2010, 07:20 PM
So you do have a heart jimmy

JB40
7th January 2010, 07:25 PM
So you do have a heart jimmy

Full of blood and beating bernie. Not like Fi's terracotta replacement.

McDUB BOY aka Superal
7th January 2010, 07:28 PM
The living dead

bt/ub40
7th January 2010, 07:55 PM
Its all true...I have known 'Yes mistress' and her sisters since childhood...Anyway...Glad you like D9..its an incredible film on many levels.

bt/ub40
7th January 2010, 07:58 PM
Great Movie review by the way...You should make it a regular feature for UBTV...
Cinema2010 with JB40

Show Jonathon Woss how its done..

JB40
7th January 2010, 08:02 PM
Its all true...I have known 'Yes mistress' and her sisters since childhood...Anyway...Glad you like D9..its an incredible film on many levels.

yes BT when the sisters get together it's quite scary. Like the Corrs on PCP.

JB40
7th January 2010, 08:04 PM
Great Movie review by the way...You should make it a regular feature for UBTV...
Cinema2010 with JB40

Show Jonathon Woss how its done..

Forget Wossy BT. We've got Mark Kermode now. And he hasn't got a clue.

bt/ub40
7th January 2010, 10:45 PM
Forget Wossy BT. We've got Mark Kermode now. And he hasn't got a clue.

I agree 100 million and 22 % (thats a Louis Walshism btw)
Mark Kermode.....PAH !!!! Show him how its done JB...

JB40
8th January 2010, 12:29 AM
I'm just about to watch one of my guilty pleasures. It's a movie called 'Lifeforce'. One of my favorite cult eighties movies. Directed by Tobe Hooper [chainsaw massacre, poltergiest]. It's a sort of re-make of 'quatermass and the pit'. It's a good looking film, the budget must have been pretty generous, it's based on a popular sci-fi novel called 'Space Vampires' And it's completely demented. Looking forward to it. I haven't seen it in years.

kate13
8th January 2010, 12:45 AM
I'm off to watch my guily pleasures, corrie and eastenders.

bt/ub40
8th January 2010, 06:31 PM
Save your review for UBTV CINEMA2010

San Diego
8th January 2010, 06:32 PM
Don't you ever sleep???

NUB40
8th January 2010, 10:29 PM
Don't you ever sleep???

What she said :shock: