PDA

View Full Version : ali on central news

old grey man
16th November 2009, 02:14 PM
just caught part of interview with ali campbell on central news (east mids) and he says he should have left the band ten years ago to give hi the freedom to do what he is doing. he was asked that they noticed he was happier now than when he split with band, his answer yes i am and why because i am winning

full interview central news 6pm

Helena
16th November 2009, 02:23 PM
but what was the interview for? he wasn't promoting anything presumably? So does that mean he just decided to go on the telly to slag off UB40 again? How pathetic.

DreamBig
16th November 2009, 02:23 PM
Ali, Ali, Ali...

Epic fail.

Who does he think he is? He's so full of himself that there's no room for other band members

reallytruly
16th November 2009, 02:26 PM
but what was the interview for? he wasn't promoting anything presumably? So does that mean he just decided to go on the telly to slag off UB40 again? How pathetic.

That's exactly what I wondered when they said last week he'd be on it ... large serving of pathetic and bitter anyone? Tune in at 6 :roll:

old grey man
16th November 2009, 02:32 PM
maybe they thought as they interviewed the band it makes good viewing sense ( sensation jounalism, and a bit of stirring), to interview the band member that left them

reallytruly
16th November 2009, 02:34 PM
All it does is show him up for what he really is ...

Saad
16th November 2009, 02:45 PM
Now is the time to let this go once & for all......

Ali is part of the past and Duncan the future where UB40 are concerned.

We leave Ali and his acolytes alone and they leave us alone...........

Remember - empty vessels make the most sound..............

Simples.

Saad

San Diego
16th November 2009, 02:57 PM
Winning what exactly???

reallytruly
16th November 2009, 02:59 PM
Winning what exactly???

Band Member of the Week - As Voted By The Lead Singer?

Waltjo
16th November 2009, 03:36 PM
All it does is show him up for what he really is ...

I agree with you there, he is past tense as far as UB40 are concerned:| what he does is of no interest to me:|

~JENNY~
16th November 2009, 07:09 PM
Im sure this was ONE of the reasons as to why we needed a new site.. Now we've got it, i still see Ali this Ali that... Blah blah blahhhhh!!! Get over it... Hes gone an not wanted.... Thats my opinion anyway :)

miss spliff
16th November 2009, 07:16 PM
Takes a drink of cheeky vimto i agree with saad past is past

JB40
16th November 2009, 11:49 PM
I think because there are 2 conflicting sides they did the interview for the sake of balance. I haven't seen it. But i saw the UB40 ones last week. And they were really good i thought. I love the way he concentrated on the audience, and their reaction to the show. they were really loving it. i remember playing the show. It was like all the others we've played since Dunc has been with us. A UB40 show. No-one has missed the old singer it seems.
Not sure what this 'winning' business means, but it doesn't sound too healthy. Anyway, time to move on methinks.

Matt Pacino
17th November 2009, 12:00 AM
So he wasn't promoting the best of Labour Love then? lol
The word on the gripe vine is he's stands out side HMV asking people if they want his autograph.

DreamBig
17th November 2009, 10:11 AM
So he wasn't promoting the best of Labour Love then? lol
The word on the gripe vine is he's stands out side HMV asking people if they want his autograph.

But sadly, no one does :neutral:

streppel
17th November 2009, 02:05 PM
Now he's acting like this, we all whished he left the band 10 years ago.
Let's Go Duncan.
Ali who?

Marty
18th November 2009, 03:35 AM
Here the interview sorry to put these back but its information and it pis*%?%&% me *(?&&**& ......

peaceeeeeeee

old loonie
19th November 2009, 07:34 PM
He did admit the poor ticket sales were partly because no one knows who he is, thats the first true thing he has said in all this UB40 would have had a lot more hits if he had left 10 years ago, they would have been fresh and invigorated, not held back by this has been Victor Meldrew

Groovy 40
19th November 2009, 11:00 PM
Ali who

Helena
20th November 2009, 09:16 AM
Actually saw this interview for the first time yesterday. Nearly puked at the end at the "I'm Winning" bit. Winning what exactly lol?

One thing I do want to pick up on, because it is relevant to UB40 afterall, is that for the last few months since leaving the band Ali has maintained that Duncan stabbed him in the back by joining and he was shocked to hear about it. At the same time Duncan has all along insisted that he ran it by Ali first and Ali gave him his blessing. Well what a surprise yesterday to hear Ali change YET ANOTHER of his stories and state that Duncan did in fact call him and ask for his blessing, which he admitted he gave. WTF is that all about? If he's going to constantly lie about stuff at least stick to the same story to make it at least a little bit believable. He's made himself to look like a complete idiot there. And poor Duncan for having his story questioned and being bad mouthed by the darkside all this time when it now turns out (as proved by Ali's own admission) that he was innocent all along.

puma
20th November 2009, 09:44 AM
One thing I do want to pick up on, because it is relevant to UB40 afterall, is that for the last few months since leaving the band Ali has maintained that Duncan stabbed him in the back by joining and he was shocked to hear about it. At the same time Duncan has all along insisted that he ran it by Ali first and Ali gave him his blessing. Well what a surprise yesterday to hear Ali change YET ANOTHER of his stories and state that Duncan did in fact call him and ask for his blessing, which he admitted he gave.

Yes Hels, I was pleased that he actually admitted this.........FINALLY x

flyin'irie
20th November 2009, 10:06 AM
Well I suppose it's time to get over it and let things settle down... The former singer looks quite happy with his move, then good for him...
It's certainly been painful, but at the same time, the real UB's seem to do incredibly well according to the first Killarney's reviews... That's what accounts really...
Oh well... the former singer said that UB40 put Duncan in a difficult situation by imposing him to carry on the show... in his own shoes... implying that he couldn't be replaced... I found it a bit disgraceful of him...

But Duncan is doing brilliantly thank you very much :square:

Helena
20th November 2009, 10:09 AM
and while on the subject of Ali (hey at least it's all being contained in one post and the rest of the bb is happy)....

I can't believe these two tour adverts.

'UB40' is 3 times the size of 'Ali Campbell', and note the 'Playing all the UB40 Classics' comment in big bold writing. So much for pursuing a solo career, more like pursuing a career as a UB40 tribute act. What must hurt him so much. But then as long as it brings all the money in that he gets now he doesn't have to share.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/reallytruly/Ali-Lima.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/reallytruly/ali-1.jpg

reallytruly
20th November 2009, 10:19 AM
Makes me laugh how the darkside think these posters are ok, but bitch about the slightest mention of Ali in anything that UB40 do. The posters say it all really ... no-one knows who Ali is unless UB40 are mentioned. So funny that his promoters have to explain who he is to sell tickets.

flyin'irie
20th November 2009, 10:31 AM
Helena, there must be a legal aspect of all this advert stuff and I m sure UB40 Management will/would do something about it if needed...

Though, have you noticed in the interview that he says he initially had 15 gig dates and only 6 remained. And one of the reasons he puts forward to explain it is the confusion people made between himself and UB40... How couldn't people be confused with such adverts ?
He seems to be lacking coherence overall and it may well be that he over estimated his popularity...
For me, even at the age of 14 (in 1983), it was clear that UB40 was a band and not a singer...

Helena
20th November 2009, 10:36 AM
Helena, there must be a legal aspect of all this advert stuff and I m sure UB40 Management will/would do something about it if needed...

Though, have you noticed in the interview that he says he initially had 15 gig dates and only 6 remained. And one of the reasons he puts forward to explain it is the confusion people made between himself and UB40... How couldn't people be confused with such adverts ?
He seems to be lacking coherence overall and it may well be that he over estimated his popularity...
For me, even at the age of 14 (in 1983), it was clear that UB40 was a band and not a singer...

well thats another story he has changed. so far he has blamed the credit crunch, the promotors, UB40, the public, and however many other people for poor ticket sales. maybe it's time that he just accepts no-ones really interested. He can't claim no-one knows who he is with all those huge UB40 words in his adverts. And playing these overseas gigs which put him 4th on the bill, and the private corporate gigs doesn't disguise it at all.

flyin'irie
20th November 2009, 10:42 AM
I remember having read somewhere BT saying that leaving the band was the biggest mistake of his life... This is just starting to show up...
Sad story really

old loonie
20th November 2009, 05:19 PM
Sad but he only has himself to blame, in the interview even with a camera following him around, no one came up to him because people dont know who he is, UB40 are the Brand not Mr Campbell,

caja
20th November 2009, 08:29 PM
admin... about time this post was deleted...going over old ground here...
love
chris xxx ;-)

Gnasher
21st November 2009, 10:52 AM
I think Helena has a point regarding the Promotional adverts,Its disgusting that his Marketing,Management PR team are STILL trying to hoodwink the paying public.
I also think its relevant to this bb just to show this is STILL happening. Its been 2 years now & still NO mention of the Dep Band. The Paying public who go to these so called shows MUST be told that they are NOT getting UB40, Its simple.

I do understand that its going over old ground too,

But something Must be done about the names for these adverts/shows

Crump
24th November 2009, 09:41 PM
He will never learn..

Saad
24th November 2009, 10:18 PM
Can we now let this drop and leave the lies, hypocrisy, gnashing of teeth and twisted world view to the haters and narrow-minded bigot supporters on the darkside.......

We here have plenty to celebrate; they over 'there' only look to denigrate.

Saad

old loonie
25th November 2009, 11:23 AM
Its hard to let it drop when the guy is even lying to himself when he says he is WINNING? denial sounds about right, where are all the bad managment /owed money accusations gone now? as we have said many many many times, if he had just been honest and said he wanted to go solo hahahahaha what a joke that is then we would have maybe been slightly interested in him, but slate his mates was a BIG mistake

GefferyMorgan
25th November 2009, 12:07 PM
What exactly does Ali think he's winning? Let's see....his solo stuff since leaving the band have not sold well at all. He's scheduled "tours" only to have to cancel them two years in a row.....and the shows that he HAS actually performed, have all been misleading, because the people who went to the shows thought they were getting UB40.

So i ask again...exactly what does he think he's winning? He may be winning the sh*t stirring and lying contest, that's about it.

and by the way, the gall of him to say he should have left the band ten years ago....that he has so much more freedom now. Well, if he wanted freedom for his career to falter, to lie and cancel gigs....heck, he should have stayed on the dole 30 years ago...he could have done all that without becoming the TLVO.

old loonie
25th November 2009, 06:28 PM
well said that man. Even to look at his face now makes me cringe, gone are the youthful cheeky smile, taken over by a fixed bloated smirke thats hides some painfull memories of a once loved singer of the worlds greatest reggae band, he looks very very alone

GefferyMorgan
25th November 2009, 07:43 PM
well said that man. Even to look at his face now makes me cringe, gone are the youthful cheeky smile, taken over by a fixed bloated smirke thats hides some painfull memories of a once loved singer of the worlds greatest reggae band, he looks very very alone

you are so right, bro. He does look very alone right now.....and as we've seen with many people before, those who are alone are the ones who keep insisting that they are happy....when they're truly not.

I just hope he decides to drop this ego trip he's having and realize it's ok to be on his own, doing his own music, but he doesn't have to shit on all the people that stood by him for 30 years.