PDA

View Full Version : Being sent to Coventry !!

Clubreggae
25th April 2008, 12:08 AM
How many of you know what this actually means :o

Or is it just a regional thing ??

janice
25th April 2008, 12:09 AM
y the fk do i want to be sent there for :roll: you talk so much shit :roll:

Clubreggae
25th April 2008, 12:10 AM

:( :roll:

janice
25th April 2008, 12:11 AM

:( :roll:dont start feeling sorry for your self cos no fker answering this post :roll:

LyricOfficer
25th April 2008, 12:29 AM
I've never been... but if it means you ignoring me Janice... maybe I should try it :D

Don't mean it, honest xxxx

janice
25th April 2008, 12:31 AM
I've never been... but if it means you ignoring me Janice... maybe I should try it :D

Don't mean it, honest xxxx :cry:

LyricOfficer
25th April 2008, 12:45 AM
really really really didn't mean it :friends:

cjp_24
25th April 2008, 09:38 AM
The origins of this phrase aren't known, although it is quite probable that events in Coventry in the English Civil War in the 1640s play a part. For those not familiar with the UK, Coventry is an industrial city in Warwickshire, England. It is well-known for its two cathedrals; the modern cathedral being built in 1962 to replace the old cathedral, which had been destroyed during an intense German bombing raid 1940.

In the 17th century, when this phrase is supposed to have originated, Coventry was a small town. It is suggested that the phrase, although we now use it in an allusory sense, originated from people being actually sent there.

The story - and it is no more than that - is that Cromwell sent a group of Royalist soldiers to be imprisoned in Coventry, around 1648. The locals, who were parliamentary supporters, shunned them and refused to consort with them.

Dean M
25th April 2008, 09:44 AM
being sent to coventry means not talking to them

in world war 2 the british got hold of a german decoder (enigma machine) and was able to work out where they would be bombing during the blitz

they found out that a massive bombing raid was due to hit coventry but never told the locals or anyone as they didnt want the germans to know that they had the decoder

littlecrow
25th April 2008, 09:46 AM
Google answer is ......

It is very probable that the West Midlands city is the source of this expression for someone who has been ostracised. I say that with some care because there are at least two theories about where it came from. All of them do point to your native city, but none of them can be substantiated. The idiom is first recorded in 1765, but it is generally taken to refer to events during the English Civil Wars of the 1640s between forces loyal to the King and those loyal to Parliament.

The first appearance of the phrase is in 1647, in The History of the Rebellion and Civil Wars in England by Edward Hyde, First Earl of Clarendon, though the author is using the phrase in a literal, not a figurative sense. He says that Royalist troops who were captured in Birmingham (then a small town, not the great city that grew up later on the back of the Industrial Revolution) were taken for security to Coventry, a Parliamentarian stronghold. Understandably, they were not welcome. Another story, undated but usually taken to refer to events of a similar period, is that Coventry was strongly opposed to having troops billeted on townspeople, and that soldiers sent there were ostracised by the local population.

So there you go !! :? :shock: :?

Clubreggae
25th April 2008, 10:32 AM
Good respones :D
I of course :roll: knew that it meant :( "when someone doesnt talk to you".

You would be surprised how many people have never heard of the saying :o :roll:

Helena
25th April 2008, 10:34 AM
they once said it in Home and Away which i was surprised about.

TINA/T
25th April 2008, 10:37 AM

im surprised u watch home n away hels :lol: :lol:

or was it just on in the background? :roll: that makes more sense!! :wink: xx

janice
25th April 2008, 10:48 AM
well im staying put in wales :D

Helena

i don't anymore as i don't know who anyone is but i used to watch it religiously lol

Clubreggae
Thank God :D

TINA/T
25th April 2008, 10:50 AM

i don't anymore as i don't know who anyone is but i used to watch it religiously lol

lol im sure we all watched it at sometime hels :oops: :lol: :lol: xx

janice
25th April 2008, 10:50 AM
Thank God :Domg its you, time for me to go :twisted:

cjp_24
25th April 2008, 12:21 PM

Wow, I heard that too. Thats sad :)

Helena
25th April 2008, 12:35 PM

Wow, I heard that too. Thats sad :)

lol was it Rhys or whatever his name was that said it when you heard it?

Cherry Campbell
25th April 2008, 12:53 PM

Tony gets sent home to Brum when he does my head in Deb...and thats not too far from there :roll:

Clubreggae
26th April 2008, 12:11 AM

Tony gets sent home to Brum when he does my head in Deb...and thats not too far from there :roll:
Well I dont mean to be horrid :roll: but if I were you, I would send him a lot further than Coventry :laff: :laff: :laff: :laff: :evil:

:kiss: :friends: :wink: