PDA

View Full Version : Song lyrics

Rebel Soul
20th March 2008, 12:56 PM
Are lyrics important to you?

Does knowing what the singer is saying enhance your enjoyment of the song?

Not necessarily......I never "got" what Bob Marley was saying until 10 years after he died. But I LOVED his music and even if I couldn't explain the message, I could FEEL it was something I could connect with. Same with UB40.

Now that I have a bit more of an understanding of life, I wouldn't say that it makes me enjoy their music more or less. People don't always need to be of the same mind as the songwriter to connect with the song.

loekie
20th March 2008, 01:06 PM
voted no because to be honest the lyrics are not the first thing for me liking the music. Have to admit for some Dutch songs I really like the lyrics but not the music (hope that does make sence) :roll: But the funny thing is sometimes things happen in your life and then some lyrics from music you like are very suitable :wink:

MAYBETOMORROW
20th March 2008, 01:10 PM
I voted "No" also because it is the melody or harmonies that get me interested in a song, the meaning behind the lyrics usually takes me a while :D

UBchris40
23rd April 2008, 11:05 AM
I think its always to understand the lyrics so you can sing along :P

NUB40
23rd April 2008, 04:12 PM
I have answered yes,it is important because you do have to understand what the song is about but at the same time i have heard the music at the start of some songs and liked it,and then after hearing the lyrics i have gone of it

Rebel Soul
1st May 2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. :D .....lyrics are really important to me, cos if the words aren't good and just cliched, it spoils the song......the music could be amazing, but this if the words aren't right I switch off.

MAYBETOMORROW
1st May 2008, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. :D .....lyrics are really important to me, cos if the words aren't good and just cliched, it spoils the song......the music could be amazing, but this if the words aren't right I switch off.

So Imani, does that mean that you're not partial to songs by Joe Dolce?

:roll: :lol:

Rebel Soul
3rd May 2008, 04:10 PM

So Imani, does that mean that you're not partial to songs by Joe Dolce?

:roll: :lol:

boris. :grin:

FRANCY B
6th May 2008, 08:38 PM
YES, FOR ME IT IS IMPORTANT

Where Did I Go Wrong??
13th May 2008, 04:09 AM
Lyrics aren't important to me, it's the vibe of the song that attracts me 8)

dutchy
28th May 2008, 12:24 AM
Lyrics are very important to me, the music have to be good to though, but the lyrics can make me very emotional just like a little baby, i am a very emotional man anyway, i cry a lot. oh yes? yes
I just can't stand hate and anger, sometimes i dream about a wonderful world, and making love with every woman who i like, a life without married people but just a worldwide orgy.

:beer: Dutchy

Carolanne
28th May 2008, 02:40 PM
Lyrics are important - it's great to sing along and understand the words but it's usually the tune that gets me liking the song first of all.

C

Rebel Soul
4th June 2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks again for checking this thread out......interestingly it's 72% majority at the mo in favour of being in tune with the lyrics. :o

D King
10th July 2008, 11:12 PM
I voted no because the question said "important" this implies that instrumentals and foreign songs have no point.

I have also enjoyed some of the most banal songs ever written.

I like good lyrics and they can make a song, ie the Pillow which is one of my favorite UB40 songs, and Eminem's Stan which is lyrical genius.