PDA

View Full Version : The"(My project with all those mp3 requests)"post

Good Ambition
21st October 2006, 01:20 PM
Some of the UK loonies might be aware that it's Black History Month (october). I've just written and narrated a short radio feature on the subject that will be broadcast next week (will be back with the exact time/day).......s'about 10 minutes long.....it features musical examples, but you'll be flabbergasted to know that I haven't picked ANY of the mp3 ones I asked peeps to send :aagh: (am like that, picky.....tanx anyway :bigwink: :grin: )......but the prog DOES feature music to enhance the narration and to fit the topic.

It can be heard online on www.bcbradio.co.uk ......it's either monday, tuesday or wednesday, will let you know soon. :king:

~kingstontyler~
21st October 2006, 01:27 PM
Imani any chance you can save and upload in case any of us miss this please or anybody else with the know how

Good Ambition
21st October 2006, 01:29 PM
Imani any chance you can save and upload in case any of us miss this please or anybody else with the know how

no probs KT, I'll get it converted to mp3, just get in touch if you miss it. :grin:

~kingstontyler~
21st October 2006, 01:32 PM
Will do always interesting to learn about others especially someone you know in a round about way

UBlong2me
21st October 2006, 02:46 PM
Well, that's just great Imani :rolleyes: :laff: :laff: :laff: :laff: I knew you just wanted the tunes for your own pleasure :laff: :laff: ( "johnny") :bigwink:

Hope it's on tuesday, cos it's my day off and I can have a listen.

xxMoni :friends: :friends:

brummybabe
21st October 2006, 03:04 PM
Any news yet Imani ??? Date and time

xx

elaine2005
21st October 2006, 03:57 PM
I forgot the last one when you told me imani :rolleyes:
So it would be great to catch this one.
Last years black history education, my daughter went to liverpool with her youth group and saw lots of stuff which she relayed to us. Most of it VERY upsetting.

She did a speach this year in birmingham city center up on the stage in martinau square. My other daughter recorded her and she was nervous but did well, made us all proud. :grin:

Ill keep watching to see what time / date etc.

:friends:

KGB_I_was_NOT
21st October 2006, 04:56 PM
thank Imani... I would like to record it with your permission.

:beer: :friends:

Good Ambition
22nd October 2006, 11:58 AM
Well, that's just great Imani :rolleyes: :laff: :laff: :laff: :laff: I knew you just wanted the tunes for your own pleasure :laff: :laff: ( "johnny") :bigwink:

Hope it's on tuesday, cos it's my day off and I can have a listen.

xxMoni :friends: :friends:

Johnny? Me? :bigwink:

Moni, I did actually plan to use a snippet of one of the Marley tunes as an intro, but as luck would have it, it wudn't load, so I've used something else.......but all those mp3s WERE used in a way, cos they were inspiration. :cool:

Good Ambition
22nd October 2006, 12:04 PM
Any news yet Imani ??? Date and time

xx

Kelly, still don't know yet, but as a good guess, there's a show called ABOUT BRADFORD on Tuesday at 11.15am where I've been told the programme will be aired. The presenter Kath Canoville is very busy and hard to get hold of! :aagh: but I'll do my best to keep you informed. :)

UBlong2me
22nd October 2006, 12:23 PM
:laff: was only teasing you Imani :grin: :friends: :friends: :friends:

Good Ambition
22nd October 2006, 12:29 PM
Last years black history education, my daughter went to liverpool with her youth group and saw lots of stuff which she relayed to us. Most of it VERY upsetting.

She did a speach this year in birmingham city center up on the stage in martinau square. My other daughter recorded her and she was nervous but did well, made us all proud. :grin:

Good to hear that Elaine and well done your daughter :king: ..........that must have made you very proud.

the slavery era is definitely
something that needs to be commemorated, yet at the same time, it's overemphasised- again by design. It reinforces the
idea that the only role black people have played historically is as slaves, whilst at the same time much of the pre-slavery history of Africans and their contribution to the world is very much hidden.
It's one reason why many black youths for instance are getting caught up in gangs, drugs, crime, school difficulties, not that
this isn't also happening to white and Asian kids..........but

subconsciously,
they're programmed to believe they're underdogs- and so they fight each other and that gives EVRYONE problems :rolleyes: .......Unfortunately for us, if a group is marginalised and even a social problem, that suits the agenda of where society is going.

That's why I've got mixed feelings about next year's slavery Bicentennial here......get my meaning?

Really and truly, "black history" is just the missing portion of human history, which as i said has been covered up. Once it's been acknowlegdeged, there won't really be any need for a month set aside. but it's a start. :wink:

Just felt I had to expand on the topic Elaine. :grin: :friends:

Good Ambition
22nd October 2006, 12:29 PM
thank Imani... I would like to record it with your permission.

:beer: :friends:

Sure, no probs. :grin:

elaine2005
22nd October 2006, 01:02 PM

Good to hear that Elaine and well done your daughter :king: ..........that must have made you very proud.

something that needs to be commemorated, yet at the same time, it's overemphasised- again by design. It reinforces the
idea that the only role black people have played historically is as slaves, whilst at the same time much of the pre-slavery history of Africans and their contribution to the world is very much hidden.
It's one reason why many black youths for instance are getting caught up in gangs, drugs, crime, school difficulties, not that

subconsciously,
they're programmed to believe they're underdogs- and so they fight each other and that gives EVRYONE problems :rolleyes: .......Unfortunately for us, if a group is marginalised and even a social problem, that suits the agenda of where society is going.

That's why I've got mixed feelings about next year's slavery Bicentennial here......get my meaning?

Really and truly, "black history" is just the missing portion of human history, which as i said has been covered up. Once it's been acknowlegdeged, there won't really be any need for a month set aside. but it's a start. :wink:

deff THINK i know what your saying, its not ( or it should not ) all be about the negativity.
Like you say it has to be shown / said / discussed BUT ... If it makes me and other white people feel ASHAMED of themselves ( even though we where not born in those times ) then does it in turn make black people ANGRY ? and if so , then surely its a recepie for disaster ? Im afraid its a lose lose situation. Cus people have the right to know their heritage, history but if its shown as mostly bad and down trodden does it really reflect the whole picture.

I guess in a way, its like when my daughter ( and others i have spoken to ) went to germany the people are soooooooo friendly, by and large, and seem to be ( so im told ) TRIPPING OVER THEMSELVES to do the RIGHT thing, to be sooo nice to the english as way of some penance. ???

SO maybe that is the reason why ( so called do gooder whites ) think they need to TRIP OVER THEMSELVES to make things right for non whites ? I really dont know. All i do know is some times they do more harm than good.

As i said to dennis recently, i am not mad at the illegal immagrants i am mad at the sytem that allows the NEED for illegal immigration.

There is enough $ etc in this world to make each and every country self sufficient and there would be no need for immigration, let alone illegal .... BUT, as you more than most know ... the chance of that happening is HIGHLY UNLIKELY .... Its not the PLAN now is it.

How better to cause complete and utter confussion and weakness than by putting us all against one another ... and it doesnt take much , a whisper here a push there. HEY PRESTO! WAR!

Doing their dirty work for them. ( and i , like others , fall for it time after time after time ). :rolleyes:

Good Ambition
22nd October 2006, 01:43 PM

subconsciously,

deff THINK i know what your saying, its not ( or it should not ) all be about the negativity.
Like you say it has to be shown / said / discussed BUT ... If it makes me and other white people feel ASHAMED of themselves ( even though we where not born in those times ) then does it in turn make black people ANGRY ? and if so , then surely its a recepie for disaster ? Im afraid its a lose lose situation. Cus people have the right to know their heritage, history but if its shown as mostly bad and down trodden does it really reflect the whole picture.

I guess in a way, its like when my daughter ( and others i have spoken to ) went to germany the people are soooooooo friendly, by and large, and seem to be ( so im told ) TRIPPING OVER THEMSELVES to do the RIGHT thing, to be sooo nice to the english as way of some penance. ???

SO maybe that is the reason why ( so called do gooder whites ) think they need to TRIP OVER THEMSELVES to make things right for non whites ? I really dont know. All i do know is some times they do more harm than good.

As i said to dennis recently, i am not mad at the illegal immagrants i am mad at the sytem that allows the NEED for illegal immigration.

There is enough $ etc in this world to make each and every country self sufficient and there would be no need for immigration, let alone illegal .... BUT, as you more than most know ... the chance of that happening is HIGHLY UNLIKELY .... Its not the PLAN now is it.

How better to cause complete and utter confussion and weakness than by putting us all against one another ... and it doesnt take much , a whisper here a push there. HEY PRESTO! WAR!

Doing their dirty work for them. ( and i , like others , fall for it time after time after time ). :rolleyes:

Hi again Elaine...........

I hear what you're saying.....and I do see the danger of that happening. The PC people, yes, they do more harm than good cos they strangle the debate.

I can't determine how u respond to the facts of history, BUT i definitely don't see this history as a way to make you or any white person feel ashamed. In a lot of ways, I am more frustrated that many black people are still internalising all the lies and stereotypes about themselves, despite the number of people who've come along to try to free our minds.

FEAR,you see........we're no different from any other ethnic group in that way.

100% agree with the points u made about immigration.......it's deffo not a random thing, as u know. My own particular concern as a black person i suppose is that a lot of the groups coming in have had very little contact with black people............it's a case of "here we go again....back to the 40's 50's 60's :rolleyes: :rolleyes: "......Maybe not so much black people, but I DO see the potential for trouble where i live where you have young Asians and young eastern europeans on the same turf.

Isn't the world great? :rolleyes: :grin:

Have a good day Elaine. :friends:

elaine2005
22nd October 2006, 04:28 PM
You too Imani ( good day / week / month / year / LIFE ) :friends:

:haha:

Good Ambition
23rd October 2006, 09:22 AM

Morning Elaine.........in my haste yesterday, I overlooked a couple of points here.............just picking up on your point above: CASE IN POINT- At Bradford Central Library, about a month ago I saw a display they'd just put up to mark Black History Month, it was a time line of events relating to Britain over the past 1000 years. so I looked at this thing, and it started off promisingly enuff, talking about African presence in England during the Roman times....but THEN it was just this: slavery slavery slavery slavery slavery (with a gap for "emancipation") :rolleyes: ....and after that it was race riots race riots race riots enoch powell, more riots more riots, stephen lawrenece............. :rolleyes: I KID YOU NOT! I wish i could say i was exagerrating, but it's 100% true. Now if the LIBRARY can't get it right, maybe I should start calling it the "LIE-BURY".

So............ I had a word with the floor manager (or two :bigwink: ) and thankfully they've changed it to give a more rounded picture, and not only focussing on the UK..so YES, I know exactly what you mean even if well meaning people tell the story..

......another thing I must say is that there's a tendency for some black people to get so ego trippy once they discover all this hidden history, that they want to use the information to bully people with, intellectually........they overlook the fact that in the past (and present), we've done some pretty fked up and evil things to each other TOO! Like i said, we're no different from anyone else, we have the potential to be wise or complete fools. The point is to include us in the story, rather than omission.

And on that "bombshell", hope you enjoy the day! :grin: :friends:

elaine2005
23rd October 2006, 12:19 PM
GET YOU ... :ooh: BULLYING THE LIEBURY :laff:

Seriously, WELL DONE on taking issue with it.

That one act from you, could change the way 100s of people view that particular display AND in turn the way they look at things in general.

From small acorns and all that jazz !

I remember my uncle , who was a staunch ENGLAND supporter / villa fan ;) etc ... after watching BRAVEHEART and saying to my nan ( his mum, whos a scott ) ... it makes me ashamed to be english.

I remember having those feelings, but about my race , after wathcing ROOTS many years ago.

I suppose the only way forward, that i can concieve , is to say OK ... WE WHERE WRONG, THEY WHERE WRONG , etc ... put our hands up and then make a pact to make things better, to say this , that or the other will NEVER be allowed to happen again to any group of people.

BUT .......................................... I also believe in fairies ;)

In other words ... that would be such a simple and dream like conclusion , but i am NOT convinced it will ever happen and whats more i dont believe for a moment that those IN CHARGE ( So to speak ) would want that anyway.

PEACE is not profitable, at least in monetary terms. Never mind on a higher level.

NO ... SADLY, I can not see a peaceful end ... any time soon.

On that happy note, ill bid you a good week ;)

take it easy imani :friends: Oh and keep your light shining, some of us can bathe in its shimmer when we are not in too much of a deep sleep. :bigwink:

STING
23rd October 2006, 12:33 PM
finally got round to reading this thread. it was hard to concentrate still being hungover n all :rolleyes: but what a very interesting thread indeed. would love to hear your black history ting imani. please pass it on when you get it cos i'm crap with remembering radio progs n tings and it sounds fascinating. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends:

Good Ambition
23rd October 2006, 01:04 PM
GET YOU ... :ooh: BULLYING THE LIEBURY :laff:

Seriously, WELL DONE on taking issue with it.

That one act from you, could change the way 100s of people view that particular display AND in turn the way they look at things in general.

From small acorns and all that jazz !

I remember my uncle , who was a staunch ENGLAND supporter / villa fan ;) etc ... after watching BRAVEHEART and saying to my nan ( his mum, whos a scott ) ... it makes me ashamed to be english.

I remember having those feelings, but about my race , after wathcing ROOTS many years ago.

I suppose the only way forward, that i can concieve , is to say OK ... WE WHERE WRONG, THEY WHERE WRONG , etc ... put our hands up and then make a pact to make things better, to say this , that or the other will NEVER be allowed to happen again to any group of people.

BUT .......................................... I also believe in fairies ;)

In other words ... that would be such a simple and dream like conclusion , but i am NOT convinced it will ever happen and whats more i dont believe for a moment that those IN CHARGE ( So to speak ) would want that anyway.

PEACE is not profitable, at least in monetary terms. Never mind on a higher level.

NO ... SADLY, I can not see a peaceful end ... any time soon.

On that happy note, ill bid you a good week ;)

take it easy imani :friends: Oh and keep your light shining, some of us can bathe in its shimmer when we are not in too much of a deep sleep. :bigwink:

Elaine, an ENGROSSING read, as I expected :grin: (is that the right word/ check a dictionary site. :bigwink: )

U know what, I was actually pretty "chilled but firm"when i approached the library :smokin: , and they were really nice about it.........mind u there WAS some resistance,,,,i mean, they had a display with Colin Powell there and I said "Look, despite the fact that he's black, he's also partly responsible for the Iraq war" :aagh: ....but like i said, we can be as misguided as any of the hitlers et al throughout history.

I'll try "keep the light shining".......but it's not easy at all yer know...... :ooh:

Good Ambition
23rd October 2006, 01:05 PM
finally got round to reading this thread. it was hard to concentrate still being hungover n all :rolleyes: but what a very interesting thread indeed. would love to hear your black history ting imani. please pass it on when you get it cos i'm crap with remembering radio progs n tings and it sounds fascinating. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends: :friends:

Will do Sting :friends: Now let me go read about your "exploits" at the Fest. :ooh: :bigwink: :grin:

STING
23rd October 2006, 01:06 PM

Will do Sting :friends: Now let me go read about your "exploits" at the Fest. :ooh: :bigwink: :grin:

nooooooo. :aagh: i was the one sitting quietly blending into the seating :cool:

Good Ambition
23rd October 2006, 01:11 PM

............hmmmmm, now what's that I see overhead in a helicopter smelling of pork? :bigwink:

STING
23rd October 2006, 01:16 PM

............hmmmmm, now what's that I see overhead in a helicopter smelling of pork? :bigwink:

they're always flying over pitsmoor :rolleyes: . said so in another thread on the other side :laff: :laff: :laff:

Good Ambition
24th October 2006, 09:14 AM
(but as i was saying........)

The show now won't be broadcast today as i'd hoped :rolleyes: .....I've been told it's going to be at a later date.....hmmmmmm.....i hope it won't be MUCH later, otherwise it'll be November! :rolleyes:

do I sound a tad miffed? Yeah, spot on. :?

Good Ambition
24th October 2006, 09:25 AM
(but as i was saying........)

The show now won't be broadcast today as i'd hoped :rolleyes: .....I've been told it's going to be at a later date.....hmmmmmm.....i hope it won't be MUCH later, otherwise it'll be November! :rolleyes:

do I sound a tad miffed? Yeah, spot on. :?

But on the positive side, the presenter who's hosting the show where the feature will appear has heard it and sez it's wikkid! :grin: :beer: :king: