PDA

View Full Version : BT...serious Q

Merlin 1
18th April 2006, 07:21 PM
You were laid up in hospital around 5 years ago, Norman was missing for a while last year, Ali's had probs...I myself had to give up work through ill health at 53...though have been supporting your tours since '79, what will be the deciding factor when the band can no longer tour (please don't say when you lose the love for reggae cos you'll take it to the grave, as will I and many others) but there must be a cut-off point somewhere, terry too has been in turmoil but I won't elaborate there.
If you all jacked it in tomorrow your music will live on, sorry for being a pain but you must have a business plan...it doesn't matter if you haven't cos I'm on a pension now....just have a word with the ticket distributors to make concessions please M8.

Chaz

SuGgS
18th April 2006, 07:26 PM
bloody good question

scary to think heyy

KGB_I_was_NOT
18th April 2006, 07:40 PM
Whatever the answer, let's hope it doesn't happen for a while...
(Yes, my way of dealing with the inevitable is sticking my head in the sand... :) )

muevemami
18th April 2006, 07:41 PM
i would DIE when it happens

NEPCHOON ROSE
18th April 2006, 07:49 PM
i would DIE when it happens

errmmm i would not go that far

i would be happy that i went to some gigs met some cool people even more since i have been on the bb....i have had laugh lived the ultimate dream last december (god i sound like such a virgin :eek: :rolleyes: ) got to take part in different things

and if the great man or woman upstairs decideds to end it tomorrow and start the world from scratch....i hope i get given the chance to do it all again :friends: :love:

Baggariddim
18th April 2006, 07:52 PM
My friend, well....let's not be so morbid. I almost wonder if that's kind of too private a thing to ask.

But from what I saw of two of their USA back to back concerts, man, these guys give their all and then some. Look at UB's tour schedule over the past year. Yeah, one wonders how they are still able to do it, and I'm pretty sure this USA tour alone was highly demanding and exhausting. Put it this way, I saw the legendary reggae vet, Burning Spear recently, he's still got it. Saw Jimmy Cliff last year, he's still got it even doing splits onstage at age 60. Steel Pulse, UB's contemporaries, still doing it. Third World is still touring, playing in NYC this weekend. Blues legend BB King 80+ years old still touring. They are still doing it well. At some point I suppose, age takes a toll, but the pumping heart of reggae music and the love of their mission and fans will hopefully keep UB40 going on and on. Reggae Sunsplash awaits!

Peace,
Bagga..

San Diego
18th April 2006, 07:58 PM
Well said...Bagga :grin:

lozbats
18th April 2006, 07:59 PM
OMG Neps preaching again :laff: :laff: Is it Sunday????? Neps, got to say, very profound and I'm sure a lot of people would agree that this bb along with gigs, DVD etc, UB40 has brought a lot of happiness and made good memories for people :grin: :friends:

KGB_I_was_NOT
18th April 2006, 08:00 PM
Saw Jimmy Cliff last year, he's still got it even doing splits onstage at age 60.
Peace,
Bagga..

No pressure, Brian... :haha: :bigwink:

Helena
18th April 2006, 08:02 PM
:laff: bit morbid

guess they will keep doing it till they don't want to anymore.

NEPCHOON ROSE
18th April 2006, 08:04 PM
OMG Neps preaching again :laff: :laff: Is it Sunday????? Neps, got to say, very profound and I'm sure a lot of people would agree that this bb along with gigs, DVD etc, UB40 has brought a lot of happiness and made good memories for people :grin: :friends:

did'nt mean to sound rev nep , but i have had some great times at gigs and some good and bad times here....but the good always should out weigh the bad soooooooo i look at my expericenses as a postive....

i would love to do sunsplash though that would be a dream :friends:

Merlin 1
18th April 2006, 08:07 PM
Well said everyone but although Jimmy Cliff could do the splits at 60, Bob Marley died at 36...none of us are immortal..and this (mine) is a dangerous age...not being morbid here I'd just like to know whether the band are retiring at Civil Servant age (55) or teachers age (now at 65!) :bigwink:

Chaz

Helena
18th April 2006, 08:10 PM
i think they;re in the happy situation that they can retire when they want and when they feel the times right and not when their pension sceme allows.

KGB_I_was_NOT
18th April 2006, 08:10 PM
Well said everyone but although Jimmy Cliff could do the splits at 60, Bob Marley died at 36...none of us are immortal..and this (mine) is a dangerous age...not being morbid here I'd just like to know whether the band are retiring at Civil Servant age (55) or teachers age (now at 65!) :bigwink:

Chaz

Well, with my head STILL in the sand, I'd say let's be optimistic and go by US retirement age (which I believe is going to be 90 soon). :haha:

NEPCHOON ROSE
18th April 2006, 08:17 PM

Chaz

Well, with my head STILL in the sand, I'd say let's be optimistic and go by US retirement age (which I believe is going to be 90 soon). :haha:

retirement age here in the uk is going to be 100 :rolleyes: goverments eh ...who needs em :jester:

bluebell
18th April 2006, 08:18 PM
Should imagine that as long as their in demand and they're all still

happy and able playing there will be no retirement... :grin:

NEPCHOON ROSE
18th April 2006, 08:19 PM
Should imagine that as long as their in demand and they're all still

happy and able playing there will be no retirement... :grin:

:beer: :smokin: , i'll have a drink to that

Merlin 1
18th April 2006, 08:27 PM
When my daughter becomes the first 21st Century female Prime Minister of the UK she's going to raise retirement age to 150, a legal requirement for any Brummie males who happen to be in the music biz , thats in her manifesto...she's quite clever for a 2 year old :laff:

Chaz

The Gardener
18th April 2006, 09:03 PM
Just overcome it....... get on with stuff.........like their doing I would hope :grin:

bt/ub40
18th April 2006, 10:45 PM
greetings Merlin....actually were not thinking of retiring,as long as we can keep going or at least as long as people still turn up to see us then we have a purpose and a real reason to keep going....you have to remember we employ a lot of people and our retiremnt would also mean the end of their jobs..can you imagine the headlines..UB40 PUT THEIR STAFF ON THE DOLE........BOOOOOOOO !!!! and theres also the fact that YES its Very hard work,right now after this 3 month world tour we are knackered BUT next week after a break and some R'n'R we will be looking forward to getting back out there,its a great priviledge to travel the world,stay in great hotels,see all the sights and then play some music........our ambition was never to 'just get famous' or 'make a record' 'go on the telly' etc etc it was always to work as musicians...and still after all these years thats where we find ourselves...BT :grin:

Estrella
18th April 2006, 10:47 PM
:beer: :friends: :beer: :friends:

j59
18th April 2006, 10:48 PM
greetings Merlin....actually were not thinking of retiring,as long as we can keep going or at least as long as people still turn up to see us then we have a purpose and a real reason to keep going....you have to remember we employ a lot of people and our retiremnt would also mean the end of their jobs..can you imagine the headlines..UB40 PUT THEIR STAFF ON THE DOLE........BOOOOOOOO !!!! and theres also the fact that YES its Very hard work,right now after this 3 month world tour we are knackered BUT next week after a break and some R'n'R we will be looking forward to getting back out there,its a great priviledge to travel the world,stay in great hotels,see all the sights and then play some music........our ambition was never to 'just get famous' or 'make a record' 'go on the telly' etc etc it was always to work as musicians...and still after all these years thats where we find ourselves...BT :grin:
:grin: That's what I like to hear :grin:
love jx

kenji-ko
18th April 2006, 10:48 PM
its a great priviledge to travel the world,stay in great hotels,see all the sights and then play some music........these

I know a good hotel in Mexico with great sight!!!! :haha:

NEPCHOON ROSE
18th April 2006, 10:55 PM
its a great priviledge to travel the world,stay in great hotels,see all the sights and then play some music........these

:laff: :laff: :laff:

kk you get a 15 out of 10 for sheer determination :lol:

champane
18th April 2006, 10:58 PM

:laff: :laff: :laff: you go girl

:love:

Jolene
18th April 2006, 11:00 PM

:laff: :laff: Looks like we're both on the same mission Kenji! :bigwink:

:love: Jolene

NEPCHOON ROSE
18th April 2006, 11:01 PM

i can't afford mexico stop it both of you :laff:

kenji-ko
18th April 2006, 11:06 PM

Mexico Unite :earth:

KGB_I_was_NOT
18th April 2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks, Brian!!! I guess it means I can get my head out of... err... sand for a while :bigwink: :beer: :beer:

aricd
19th April 2006, 12:32 AM
Ya figure if the Stones can keep going.....old Keith Richards looks like he's already got one foot in the grave.....but then again I hear he gets regular blood transfusions in Switzerland or someplace. :eek: ....maybe its something the boys in UB can look into if the situation ever gets that dire. :bigwink:

bt/ub40
19th April 2006, 12:49 AM
ok...can we 'slow down 'on this one..anyone would think we are old age pensioners/senior citizens....per-leese...we are still beginners,this is our first band,and who said you have to be 17 yrs old to be a musician,it takes a lifetime to learn to play an instrument,how come it only takes a doctor/surgeon 12 years to qualify and then they become better ,more experienced but if you are a musician,the older you get people think you become less qualified,after 26 years playing should i be getting ready to stop ? why ? BT :cool:

MAYBETOMORROW
19th April 2006, 01:17 AM
Good replies BT - let's all look towards the future, hearing more UB40 music and going to more concerts around the world!!

:beer: :cool:

Tranagirl
19th April 2006, 01:25 AM
whew, was holding my breath for that reply!

:beer:

Baggariddim
19th April 2006, 01:34 AM
Yes, BT, It ain't about age at all! So much more....

jbw19822001
19th April 2006, 01:35 AM
Hey BT noooooooooo don't think of getting ready to stop any time soon! All I can say is after 26 years UB40 have matured with age kind of like a good wine! (red red wine :laff: ) You are all great at what you do so keep up the good work for the forseeable future!!! :grin:

You and the rest of the lads keep up the good work and I'll see you all in Delamere! (not long now.......I have started counting the days) :grin:

Big love

Julie

:friends: :friends: :friends:

ausiedeb
19th April 2006, 02:14 AM
Heres to the next 25 years ..........

:beer: :friends:

Ad
19th April 2006, 03:34 AM
Well said BT.

This topic is a bit morbid but here goes...

Being a musician is a calling, a way of life, a part of you. And as long as you continue to touch and inspire people with your music- your calling as a musician lives on...keep on keepin'on. They'll ALWAYS be an audience. I for one will always be listening.

"Can't stop groovin', groovin' til I die." :cool:

KGB_I_was_NOT
19th April 2006, 05:10 AM
ok...can we 'slow down 'on this one..anyone would think we are old age pensioners/senior citizens....per-leese...we are still beginners,this is our first band,and who said you have to be 17 yrs old to be a musician,it takes a lifetime to learn to play an instrument,how come it only takes a doctor/surgeon 12 years to qualify and then they become better ,more experienced but if you are a musician,the older you get people think you become less qualified,after 26 years playing should i be getting ready to stop ? why ? BT :cool:

Old??? Pensioners??? Absolutely NOT!! That would mean half of Ubloonies are old, too (see "age" poll) and I don't think we're quite ready for that!! (I know I'm not!!) :beer: We're just getting warmed up!!! :) :)

ghettogirl
19th April 2006, 10:01 AM

isnt that just great to hear that..... :grin: :love: :grin:

heres to many many more years bt..... :beer: :beer:

Eastender
19th April 2006, 10:16 AM
Music is ageless, so are ub40, I'm sooo, glad to hear their not planning on packing it in yet - cause I'm planning on going to a few more gigs :beer:

paula1
19th April 2006, 10:28 AM
god brian,
i have lived my life with ub40,and this post has made me feel
really old,i will be forty this year and only getting married next
year,my life is just starting,and hopefully the bands is 2,i still want
to be going on tour with u lot for a long time yet,so the man has
spokin,my next 25year plan for touring is now in place.
:lol: big love
paula :grin:

Homely Girl
19th April 2006, 10:36 AM
'Tarts On Tour In Wheelchairs' Paula.......................... :friends:

I am gonna get one of the electric ones so I can still zoom to the front!!!................................. :laff: :laff:

Here's to another 25 years......................... :beer:

Take care of you and yours
Geraldine x

Reza
19th April 2006, 10:43 AM
See.....i have always thought that someone brave enough should make a movie....on the UB's.....they're still going.....26 years later....touring the world.....making record after record......

KGB_I_was_NOT
19th April 2006, 02:36 PM
See.....i have always thought that someone brave enough should make a movie....on the UB's.....they're still going.....26 years later....touring the world.....making record after record......

Speaking of that, where did Tomzee go? Haven't "seen" him for a while here... Or is he busy doing final editing?

The Gardener
19th April 2006, 04:13 PM
Well said BT............people slag the Stones off.........& Status Quo................but ya don't see their venues empty...........In fact when I rang Epsom racecourse for your concert they said that Status Quo had them queing in the Isles when they did an evening there :aagh: :angel: :lol:

Anyway when somebody buys ya a cardigan at Christmas with leather on the elbows is when ya got to worry!!! :eek: :lol: :haha: :jester:

Nods
19th April 2006, 05:56 PM
Musicians never retire..they will play music as long as the body allows.

You never stop learning your instrument,there is always something to be changed or practiced or improved..never,never really satisfied...pleased and excited at what you can do,yes however,well y`know.

you either learn to play through love or necessity(or both) It very quickly becomes a way of life,what would you do without it?

A day spent without playing my horn leaves a yearning, melancholy feeling,kinda hard to describe and therefore I`m sayin you`ll always be a musician playing for kicks or `s(how many depends on the audience) but you will ALWAYS PLAY

Nods
19th April 2006, 05:56 PM
:aagh: ...sorry sonny you`ll have to speak up...UH?

No canny hear,speak up.........yeah we`re all gettin on aint we.. :grin:

jUeBLoonie
19th April 2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks to Brian, you always make us feel so much better; and you can play with your instrument for as long as you wish :bigwink:

ub horse shoe
19th April 2006, 06:38 PM

Absolutley spot on Brian :friends:

ub horse shoe
19th April 2006, 06:47 PM
......... on a different thing all together...

what a sad prospect for these peogout workers (excuse my spelling).... and what devastation it was for the Loyal Rover workers.......

Well done Ub40 :beer: .... you all chose your own destiny and how right you guys are/have been.. :cool:

nuff respect

NZUB40
19th April 2006, 08:34 PM
We don't won't to think of the stuff any way

:grin: