PDA

View Full Version : When the UBs have gone

DJ
15th April 2006, 07:20 PM
I'm sitting here reading all the lovely reviews from our cousins the other side of the pond, and I'm thinking how each and every one of us has a memory of the band. Whether that be the first time they ever heard their record, first time seeing them live, first time meeting them (usdually followed with a comment on how accommodating the band were with time spent speaking / signing autographs etc).

Anyways, it got me thinking that knowing how derided the band are in the press, I think we're all very lucky in a lot of respects that we all have such memories that will live with us a lot longer than the band exist. You can bet your bottom dollar that because of the extensive back catalogue, plus the fact that they'll have influenced so many other artists (though its not trendy to admit so), 10 years after they spilt, there will be several campaigns in the redtops for UB40 to reform and I'm sure they'll be offered big bucks to do so (Duran Duran / Smiths / Madness / Leo Sayer anyone?). The reason I'm saying how lucky I feel, is because when everyone is jumping onto the Sun's 'BRING BACK UB40' campaign, we'll be sat here thinking 'we've stuck with them through thick and thin, and you philistines are just realsing what a miss to music they are now - well it would serve you right if they sat in their Bahamas / Balsall Heath mansions and refused to play your game'.

Yes, dj is feeling rather cynical, but priviledged tonight and just wanted to share it with you all.

Anyways, to all the reviewers, keep up the good work, your work / photos are appreciated :beer:

Helena
15th April 2006, 07:21 PM
some good points there derek. now crack open another beer :beer:

robs mrs fix it
15th April 2006, 07:24 PM
:beer: :beer: :grin:

ub horse shoe
15th April 2006, 07:49 PM
CHEERS :beer:

:grin:

Respect

DJ
15th April 2006, 07:50 PM

:angel: is it that obvious Helena :laff:

JorisJ
15th April 2006, 07:52 PM
beer? still on coffee here :)

JJ

ub horse shoe
15th April 2006, 08:03 PM

JJ

:laff:

shaken but not stired please

DJ
15th April 2006, 08:04 PM

JJ

ah but you're in Holland though Joris, I'm guessing your coffee is a wee bit stronger than my Bud :smokin: :beer: :friends:

Helena
15th April 2006, 08:17 PM

no it's just i know you better than you think :laff:

~kingstontyler~
15th April 2006, 08:22 PM
Dj this is a very good topic/post. I must admit i often wonder what the guys have to do to get into charts and have some real air play on radio. Ok so they have being around so long now they can chose what to do tour wise and press etc , they don't need to do things just for publicity names in papers etc but they again u2 have being around as long yet still get main stream (radio 1 ) air play and hype or is that down to Bono's political beliefs?? Maybe its not 'trendy' to like ub40 but there again i bet there are a quite a few that post on here that are under 30 and also maybe only got into them through more recent albums (sorry Cd's) !!
I often wonder if it is because they have never 'sold there souls' and moved down to London. They have stayed loyal to there roots and also down to earth and i for one am grateful for this.
We know what a oasis they are out there in the desert of the music world as for those that don't that is there loss.
Here's to the lads :beer:

Vbloke
15th April 2006, 08:50 PM

LOL What was i sayin to ya the other week :haha: :bigwink:

Nige :beer:

Helena
15th April 2006, 08:52 PM

LOL What was i sayin to ya the other week :haha: :bigwink:

me or him?

Vbloke
15th April 2006, 08:54 PM
lol him

Nige :haha:

Helena
15th April 2006, 08:55 PM
so why didn;t you say it to me? :(

Vbloke
15th April 2006, 08:59 PM
lmao Ok you tooooooo aswell then :bigwink:

:haha:

Helena
15th April 2006, 09:00 PM
you could have said it to me for all i know :laff:

DJ
15th April 2006, 10:08 PM
:laff: yeah did you see my apology last week Nige (in my mini fanfest review post) - but as this post has a serious(ish) tone to it, then I;m sure you'll allow me a wee bit slack :kiss:

ps - Helena, what Nige said to me the other week would also apply to you as well I'm sure :bigwink: :beer:

Helena
15th April 2006, 10:10 PM
what did he say? :aagh:

Vbloke
15th April 2006, 10:40 PM
LOl @ DJ No i never saw it .......... but i bet you posted after a few :beer: lol :eek:

Helena all i can say is OHH dear lmao :haha:

Nige :cool:

Helena
15th April 2006, 10:42 PM
i'm confused but may be because i'm near to finished a bottle of red wine hic :ooh:

DJ
16th April 2006, 12:13 AM
actually, just following on from my post, dont get me wrong, I hope its a long long way off when the UBs split or retire, especially coming on the back of WYFF which I consider to be their best album for 10 years - so please dont go sticking ice cream cones in my mush thinking I'm closing the buggers down.

:love:ps - conufused..Helena after a bottle of red wine.never :beer:

aricd
16th April 2006, 03:11 AM
Some good points there DJ.

Dutchess
16th April 2006, 07:48 AM
lol u been :beer: again eh hun? good points though!