PDA

View Full Version : What reggae do you listen to besides UB?

Good Ambition
28th February 2006, 06:40 PM
Meself, i love early Aswad, Steel Pulse, Black Uhuru, Sly and Robbie....Bob (of course of course), major lover of old school dub albums by Scientist and Lee Perry......... :smokin:

ausiedeb
28th February 2006, 06:59 PM
G'day me ole possum!

Big fan of Steel Pulse .. :grin: :love: my favs are Bodyguard and Life Without Music .. funnily enough, the support act at Twin Towns sang that .. we all had to join in with the 'ouch' bit :bigwink: Conrad was pleased to hear that one! :grin:

:beer: :friends:

Waltjo
28th February 2006, 09:14 PM
Love John Holt he's the man :love: Toots and the Maytals, Aswad, Bitty, most of em really :grin: :grin:

rmd110900
28th February 2006, 09:22 PM
Marley
Ini Kamoze
Yellowman
macka b
aswad
LKJ
Cool ruler
Bunny
Peter
Culture
Black uhuru
John holt
Burning spear
Joseph cotton
Steel pulse
Toots
Eek a mouse
just bought welcome to Jamrock Damian Marley
Good cd.
theres probaly a lot more but
anything with a reggae beat............
:smokin: :smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

simsam
28th February 2006, 09:41 PM
Other reggae:

Inner Circle
Bob Marley
Chaka Demus & Pliers
John Holt
Toots Hibbert

Cheers !! :friends: :beer:

NEPCHOON ROSE
28th February 2006, 09:43 PM
me mums a jamican...reggie music is mandatory.. :jester:

gaynorubfan05
28th February 2006, 09:48 PM
bob marley
peter tosh
:friends:

STING
28th February 2006, 09:55 PM
my mum's a scot, but it was mandatory in our house too :haha: :laff: :laff: :laff:

NEPCHOON ROSE
28th February 2006, 09:59 PM
my mum's a scot, but it was mandatory in our house too :haha: :laff: :laff: :laff:

yeah but if we did not listen it was punishable by death, torture, starvation. or what ever she could come up with at the time....yeah were WAS childline when I needed them :friends:

Engel
28th February 2006, 10:02 PM
Bob Marley
Jimmy Cliff
Peter Tosh

:beer:

Mick_f
28th February 2006, 10:17 PM
I Listen to

Lady saw
Beenie man
bounty killer
Peter hunningale
Donna marie
Janet Lee Davies
Don Campbell
Sanchez
Glen washington
Morgan heritage

List could go on oh yeah Tanya stephens shes wicked :grin:

MAYBETOMORROW
1st March 2006, 03:55 AM
Katchafire from New Zealand :smokin:

MelinaPerez
1st March 2006, 05:06 AM
Katchafire from New Zealand :smokin:

They any good? :beer:

MAYBETOMORROW
1st March 2006, 05:35 AM
Not too bad - very popular over there! :beer:

butler
1st March 2006, 07:48 AM
G'day man long time no read, been getting into a bit of "Midnite" lately, sent the Sting a two track's, but finding the lyrics very hard hitting, also dug out my copy of Super Ape so thats been getting a hiding to lately, kinda cross fading between old and Nu skool stuff, Welcome To Jamrock album on "high" rotation :bigwink:

After Tonight
1st March 2006, 09:12 AM
All of the above!!!!
:lol:

The Gardener
1st March 2006, 10:05 AM
Much the same as you lot........ :grin:

Rasta Roy
1st March 2006, 01:47 PM
This is not an easy question for me. I have been a huge reggae fan for nearly 30 years now. That is all I listen to. :grin:

1) "Old School"
Bob, Ziggy, Peter Tosh, Gregory Isaacs, Dennis Brown, Third World, Midnite, Culture, Burning Spear, Jimmy Cliff, Steel Pulse, Mighty Diamonds, Sugar Minott, Toots and the Maytals, Beres Hammond, Garnett Silk, Freddie McGregor, Black Uhuru, Maxi Priest, etc.

2) "New breed"
Luciano, Morgan Heritage, Nasio Fontaine, Julian Marley, Kymani Marley, Damian Marley, Glen Washington, Bushman, Abijah, Gentleman.

3) USA reggae bands
Soldiers of Jah Army (SOJA), Groundation, Joseph Israel, Mutti Lewis, Anthem, John Brown's Body, etc.

I would say that Luciano and Morgan Heritage are my favorites lately though.

Did I mention that I love reggae music? :grin:

jahnus
1st March 2006, 05:25 PM
i like it almost all old skool reggae ja ska uk ska
im hooked on the reggae :smokin: :smokin: (no use naming names there hundreds good artists :smokin: )

greetings jahnus :bouncered: :bounceyellow: :bounce:

UBlong2me
1st March 2006, 06:32 PM
Steel Pulse, Black Uhuru,Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Freddie McGregor,
MORGAN HERITAGE (listen to them every day now :grin: )
Culture, Gregory Isaacs, and so many more..just LOVE it :love:

xxMonique :friends:

NZUB40
1st March 2006, 06:57 PM
I like any reggae except those guys that sing that song red red wine. Who are they???

:laff: :laff: :laff:

UBlong2me
1st March 2006, 07:07 PM
I like any reggae except those guys that sing that song red red wine. Who are they???

:laff: :laff: :laff:

:ooh: :ooh: :laff: :laff: :laff: :laff:

Taffy aka SuzieQ
1st March 2006, 11:46 PM
Bob Marley,
Diana King,
Aswad,
Morgan Heritage,
Antonio,
Beres Hammond,
Maxi Preist,
Sanchez
:smokin:

butler
2nd March 2006, 07:51 AM
ooo yeah with Rasta Roy on the Groundation tip, got the album "Dragon Wars DUB remixes of Hebron Gate" aursome man if you haven't got it get it you'll love it "Elements" full on...

Rasta Roy
2nd March 2006, 01:26 PM
ooo yeah with Rasta Roy on the Groundation tip, got the album "Dragon Wars DUB remixes of Hebron Gate" aursome man if you haven't got it get it you'll love it "Elements" full on...

Agreed Butler. Dub Wars just arrived in the mail last night. I haven't even heard all of it yet. I'm waiting for Groundation to tour my area. :grin:

Good Ambition
2nd March 2006, 02:20 PM
I also love THE SKATALITES and any TIGHTEN UP/TROJAN reggae. :grin:

San Diego
3rd March 2006, 05:14 PM
Rita Marley...Harambe

kenji-ko
4th March 2006, 02:51 AM
NEW KIDS ON THE GHETTO
TAKE TWAT
WHAM
and sometimes george mikel

does that sound reggae now???

Deuce
24th March 2006, 04:43 PM
I grew up in NW London and used to walk to Harlesden from Cricklewood via Neasden and the TROJAN studios!!! My interest in the music was a passion even at an early age. Even won an award in school for documenting a history of reggae from early 60's Rand B crossover to ska up to 1971 (when I wrote it aged 11). I remember writing after doing a lot of research that a drummer called Drumbago invented the beat. On doing research these days I cant find any info on Drumbago. Anyone else heard of this????

I listen to as much reggae as I can get...whoever it's by.

P.S these f ing pop up things are pissin me off. Must have been 20 interupting my writing....doh!!

Good Ambition
24th March 2006, 06:13 PM
I grew up in NW London and used to walk to Harlesden from Cricklewood via Neasden and the TROJAN studios!!! My interest in the music was a passion even at an early age. Even won an award in school for documenting a history of reggae from early 60's Rand B crossover to ska up to 1971 (when I wrote it aged 11). I remember writing after doing a lot of research that a drummer called Drumbago invented the beat. On doing research these days I cant find any info on Drumbago. Anyone else heard of this????

I listen to as much reggae as I can get...whoever it's by.

P.S these f ing pop up things are pissin me off. Must have been 20 interupting my writing....doh!!

Sounds excellent, your bit of written work Deuce.................that's my territory too.

Bit of a coincidence you're called Deuce, as there's this great track by Arkland "Drumbago" Parkes called Deucemania (or is it Dulciemania? :rolleyes: )........really nice instrumental from the late 60's............He plays a beat that to me sounds very modern, reggae yes, but similar to what you hear in r & b today (most of which i have to say is as throw-away as unwanted junk food :bigwink: )

He drummed for the Skatalites and some of the rocksteady session bands. A lot of the beats that people like he and Skatalite's Llloyd Nibbs "fathered" definitely formed the basis of what all reggae drummers would play later.........there is a massive influence of ska drumming in Sly Dunbar's work- and did u see Jimmy playing along to "Simmer Down" on that South Bank Show prog?

:grin:

Jaye
25th March 2006, 12:33 AM
MR. DENNIS E. BROWN R.I.P.
GREGORY ISSACS
INI KAMOZI
CORNELL CAMPBELL
ROOTS RADICS
JOHNNY CLARKE
SCIENTIST
MAD PROFESSOR
SHAKA
LOVERS ROCK(80'S)
LITTLE JOHN
OLD SKOOL REGGAE
KYMANI MARLEY

THE LIST IS ENDLESS........................................

JAYE. :bigwink:

Mone
25th March 2006, 10:16 PM
Bob Marley
Jimmy Cliff
Alpha Blondy
Peter Tosh
John Holt
Ziggy Marley
Steel Pulse
Dillinger
Black Uhuru
Eddy Grant

Silent Witness.
26th March 2006, 11:54 AM
Glenn Washington, Sanchez, Judy Mowatt, Morgan Heritage, Luciano, Toots and the Maytals, Junior Kelly, Ky-mani Marley, Julian Marley, Bob Marley and the Wailers, Bunny Wailer, Ghost, Caribbean Pulse, Black Uhuru, Aswad, Steel Pulse, BB Seaton, John Holt, Freddie McGregor, Chezidek, Groundation, The Congo's, The Uniques, Winston Reedy, Inner Circle, Don Campbell, Beres Hammond, Lloyd Brown, Fiona, Culture, Dub Syndicate, Ziggy Marley, The Naturalites, Sly and Robbie, Max Romeo, Matumbi, The Heptones, Winston Groovy, Ken Boothe, Horace Andy, Jacob Miller, Mickey Dread, Sugar Minott, Barrington Levy, Coco Tea, Mighty Diamonds, The pioneers, Jimmy Cliff, Pato Banton, Maxi Priest, Bitty McLean, Burning Spear, Dennis Brown, Peter Tosh, Jamaican Soundsystem, Gregory Isaacs, The Upsetters, Winston Francis, Seeed, Gentleman, Beef, Alpha Blondy, Jah Mali, Wayne Wade, Carol Thompson, Damian Marley, Marcia Griffith, Tippa Irie, Pato Banton, Mikey General, Lukie D, Errol Dunkley, U roy, Israel Vibration, Half Pint, U Brown....

Just a selection :bigwink:

Deuce
28th March 2006, 06:46 PM
Cheers for that Good Ambition.

Arkland.... now I know I didn't just imagine it as some people were telling me I was!!. The Skatalites drummer makes sense. I'm Deuce as I drive a Hot Rod Deuce Coupe. lol.

Another story from my youth!! Remember Dave and Ansil Collins? You could ring their home phone number and listen to there latest single. Hows that for ahead of it's time.

There was also, if I remember right, Creole records (or something beginning with C)in Harlesden with a studio in the basement and quite often reggae artists hanging around outside....Also Greensleeves. Happy days!!

Good Ambition
29th March 2006, 12:09 PM
Cheers for that Good Ambition.

Arkland.... now I know I didn't just imagine it as some people were telling me I was!!. The Skatalites drummer makes sense. I'm Deuce as I drive a Hot Rod Deuce Coupe. lol.

Another story from my youth!! Remember Dave and Ansil Collins? You could ring their home phone number and listen to there latest single. Hows that for ahead of it's time.

There was also, if I remember right, Creole records (or something beginning with C)in Harlesden with a studio in the basement and quite often reggae artists hanging around outside....Also Greensleeves. Happy days!!

Hi Deuece, yes, I remember Double Barrel/Monkey Spanner, two of my all time faves.........that WAS ahead of its time! :grin: Remember "Dial-a-disc"?.......always used to miff me that there was never any reggae or ska on it :rolleyes:

I also remember buying Aswad's Warrior Charge on 12" when I was still at school and feeling I was in on something that practically no-one elese at school was. Great Days Indeed! :beer:

Deuce
29th March 2006, 07:31 PM
Yey. I got Warrior Charge on 12" as well. There are so many versions of that tune. But that's my fave. With Dub Charge on the B side.