PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question

Jolene
16th January 2006, 07:42 PM
I'm hoping someone here can help me. We've got 2 pcs in the house, one for the kids and one thats mine and hubby's. On mine we have internet through dsl. The kids computer doesnt have internet. I would like for them to be able to go online using dsl as well. Will I need to get another dsl modem for their computer or can I hook up both computers to this one dsl modem? And once both computers are ready for dsl can we both go online at the same time? :confused:

:love: Jolene

Emma
16th January 2006, 07:48 PM
if your modem is multi port , you just need a cable to go to thier room , thats all , or you could go wireless , but that involves a new router ....and yes u can both go on at the same time :grin:

BRUMMY UB
16th January 2006, 08:18 PM
always been wary myself of letting my girls have net access in there rooms :grin:

Jolene
16th January 2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks Emma!

Brummy, I was too. But they've been going on alot and I'm loving these aol parental controls. They cant do a thing without my permision and password. So if they want to go to a website they've never been to before it wont let them till I give permission. Also, I would never just leave them, I check on them all the time and watch what they are doing. There will be no going and closing the door while online. They just like to play kid games and read about kid movies really.

ruby
16th January 2006, 08:56 PM
good info i wondered the same thanx :grin:

Emma
16th January 2006, 09:30 PM
its great havin them in thier room , i aint seen Josh since christmas :laff: :laff: :laff: :laff: :laff:

MAYBETOMORROW
16th January 2006, 10:04 PM
:laff: :laff: :laff:

Jolene
16th January 2006, 10:42 PM
:laff: Emma :grin: I actually would like to see my kids sometimes. So we'll have time limits :bigwink: Plus the fact that they have to share, if we didnt have time limits on the computer they might end up beating each other up. You think thats a boy thing? Nope, girls can beat the crap out of each other too. :rolleyes:

Mick_f
16th January 2006, 11:30 PM
if you dont want cables everywhere your best bet is wirless network another way of doing it is by getting 2 network cards ie one for each pc then just wiring them up with a special network cable :grin:

homegrown-trumpet
18th January 2006, 12:27 AM
then u wil need to buy a router which will cost around 50, so u are beta off jus buyin the extra wire, and a plug in multi port xx

Mick_f
18th January 2006, 12:32 AM
Got my wifes pc hooked up to mine the easy way straight out the back of mine :grin:

Chicago UB Fan
18th January 2006, 02:56 AM
Hey Jolene... this is actually right up our alley here... I've got an MCSA resident in the home (Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator). If you haven't decided yet, shoot me a PM. We can chat about what you need to do & how to do it.

Skirge, The Chef
18th January 2006, 10:21 AM
If its for the kids the best way maybe just network cards and lan a cable, that way they can only have a conection to the net when your pc is booted up, if you want to cutt there connection off for any reason just unplug the lead. This is doen by have 2 network cards in your pc and one in thiers, You may only need one card in your pc if your cable modem connects to your PC through USB
If it does connect to you through USB then just 1 network card per PC is needed, most computers have onboard lan so all oyu need to buy may be a cable cost around 10 depending on how long you need it, once all plugged in you go to control pannel and select
NETWORK SETUP WIZARD, just follow it step by step.
Its real easy I have just done ours with the Xbox360 so we can have xbox live.

Mick_f
18th January 2006, 11:03 AM
If its for the kids the best way maybe just network cards and lan a cable, that way they can only have a conection to the net when your pc is booted up, if you want to cutt there connection off for any reason just unplug the lead. This is doen by have 2 network cards in your pc and one in thiers, You may only need one card in your pc if your cable modem connects to your PC through USB
If it does connect to you through USB then just 1 network card per PC is needed, most computers have onboard lan so all oyu need to buy may be a cable cost around 10 depending on how long you need it, once all plugged in you go to control pannel and select
NETWORK SETUP WIZARD, just follow it step by step.
Its real easy I have just done ours with the Xbox360 so we can have xbox live.Thats how ours is set up skirge the wife is connected to the main net via usb then im connected to to her pc via network cards like said its alot easier that way to control what your kids use when :grin:

Jolene
18th January 2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the info everyone!