PDA

View Full Version : Revision?

woefdramcx
22nd April 2003, 03:50 PM
I posted this stuff in 2 messages in the GA section, but it might make more sense posting it here.

There's been quite some talking about the quality of posts here: about people hogging the board and about accounts which are created (or seem to be created) solely for the purpose of posting crap.

First about the fake accounts. We should ask ourselves the question to what degree we want to restrict access to this BB. It's easy to implement an almost-watertight authentication system, in which new members should apply for membership. New members get assigned some sort of a mentor, who keeps an eye on what someone posts and how often. Complaints lead to immediate removal of both post and account.
You can make something like that work. But would we want that? I don't know yet how the ignore-function works here (never tried it, don't hate people enough to try), so maybe I'm kicking in an open door, but I'll take the risk. If you put someone on the ignore-list and you don't get to see any of his/her messages again, I'd say that solves the problem.

Or the moderation-system, like the one on Slashdot (http://slashdot.org). Everyone can value a post. Mind you: only value as in: add or deduct points. Good posts will accumulate lots of points, flame-bait will not. Next thing you do is configure a threshold: you only want to see posts that have at least that many points, forget the rest.

Giving points will remain anonymous, so nobody knows who votes "pro" and who voted "contra" a certain post, not even the author of the post concerned. This to prevent wars like "you took away a point from my post, so now I do the same with yours." You only get to modify a post by 1 point of course, and no need to say you can't value your own posts...

That way it doesn't make sense to be a hog, because nobody will read your crap if others have already marked your post "bullsh*t". No need to trace IP-addresses, double accounts or whatsoever.

Then there's the problem of people posting too much. For what I can see, the real problem here is that that means that other posts suffer from "suffocation", because the new posts appear on top of the rest, thus pushing the rest down.

Some people post a lot, some don't. Some topics are interesting, others are not. It's getting more and more difficult to sift through all the subjects and read only those that interest you. Maybe this board is suffering from growing pains. The idea of active subjects "bubbling up" in the list, works well for a quiet board, but with the number of posts on this board, you get to miss topics, some of which are true gems.

What could be changed is the list of available topics. The index could be modified so that it shows all topics, but only once. One line per topic, with an indication of the number of messages in it and the date/time of the most recent post. You can mark a thread "read" or "uninteresting". Marking it "read" means you tell the system you've read everything, which enables the site to inform you if there's a new post. This could be done for example, by printing the subject in bold, whereas read subjects appear in a normal typeface. Marking a subject "uninteresting", would remove it from your index.

For those of you that use Usenet (aka "newsgroups"): yes, that's what I mean. Hey, you didn't think I could come up with such a brilliant idea all by myself, did you?

Degenerate
22nd April 2003, 03:59 PM
nice idea's. i know what you mean. this bb is not as customisable as i would like. there is a possibility of moving to a fully php bb in the future that would be a lot more configurable. I'll take your ideas on board, and we'll se what happens :D

swanie
22nd April 2003, 04:05 PM
yes Adam but when?????
I think something needs to happen very soon,this can't go on like this,the whole bb will be messed up if this takes too long

Helena
23rd April 2003, 07:44 AM
Hi Adam

Would there be any way of adding a separate board, i.e. separate to UB40 discussion and general anarchy, that people could post total crap on? That way the primates can people like that can still carry on doing what they are doing but without annoying other people. I don't think that it's the volume of posts that an induvidual puts up thats the problem, it's the quality of the posts. Carlene and Hazz often put a lot of jokes up but people actually want to read these and they get a lot of responses. Others put large numbers of posts up about total crap and the small number involved just seem to reply to each others and no-one else has any interest whatsoever.

j59
23rd April 2003, 11:50 PM
trouble with sensorship is what some people
find offensive others don,t.i hope I've not offended any one with surveys ? No one gave a
serious answer or said shut up J. But i'd rather be told by other loonies if i was over stepping
the mark.To wich I would respond by toning down
any subject.
take care loveJ x

Helena
24th April 2003, 07:33 AM
I don't think you need to worry about your posts Storyteller. I have seen far worse on here.

Degenerate
25th April 2003, 01:02 AM
when swanie? i have no idea. :D

but i'll let you know when i do know.

s n u f
14th November 2003, 08:39 AM
bttt
think some more people might benefit from reading this myself included probably

Mike.
14th November 2003, 01:49 PM
Bit drastic, if you ask me.

caja
14th November 2003, 03:34 PM
we've wanted summit like this 4 ages ya get peed off coming on here and see the bb hogged up and missing good readable posts , not crap posts like "IVE JUST STUBBED ME BIG TOE"
any ways hope it changes soon
best wishes
chris ;)

The Prisoner
16th November 2003, 01:38 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mike:
Bit drastic, if you ask me.<hr></blockquote>

Yeah i agree mike, if you dont wanna read a post, dont read it. dont make a big deal out of this.

Some people post more because they visit the site more. I think it is a stupid idea to restrict posts. You know what they say ...if it ain't broke then don't bother fixing it...

Pris :mad:

Rachel1673
16th November 2003, 03:34 PM
i share your feelings Prisoner, besides there hasn't been any board hogging in a long time.it's actually been very peaceful lately

Mike.
17th November 2003, 09:04 AM
Nevertheless, some good ideas Mate :D

woefdramcx
10th December 2003, 07:06 PM
Only an awful lot of work to implement...