PDA

View Full Version : ADAM Help! getting desparate now. 48 hour chat is only

Helena
15th May 2004, 10:59 AM
I recently got a new pc and when i tried to get into chat it said

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>

DigiChat requires a Java compatible web browser to run.

<hr></blockquote>

so i noticed on previous posts about chat that you put up this link to install Java http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp.

However, after it seemed to have downloaded it, a window came up that said

WINDOWS INSTALLER

This installations package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid installer package.

<hr></blockquote>

So i have no idea what to do now. 48 hour chat is looming so i'm defo gonna need it up and running. It's a brand new pc that i got so i hardly imagine it's not compatible.

Any suggestios?

cheers

Helena :)

[ 18 May 2004: Message edited by: Helena ]</p>

Degenerate
16th May 2004, 10:04 PM
what you should try first is going to windows update and getting the latest patch/update for ie and that should be enough

Helena
17th May 2004, 08:26 AM
erm, thanks for the help but any chance you can put that into english. I admit that i'm absoloutly crap with computers and really havn't got a clue what your talking about. Is what your talking about doing to do with the internet or my pc? Where can i find windows update? :confused:

cheers

jacqueliene.
17th May 2004, 08:43 AM
just update your windows Helena :D

go to start and on top of the programlist there is windows update and go there hmmm I know what I mean lol hope you understand what I am saying graemlins/laff.gif

think It would help if I told ya in dutch graemlins/bigwink.gif

graemlins/love.gif jacqueliene

Helena
17th May 2004, 08:48 AM
cheers tessa

i'm at work at the mo but i'll try it when i get hom. graemlins/bouncegrey.gif

Mike.
17th May 2004, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Helena:
[b]cheers tessa

i'm at work at the mo but i'll try it when i get hom. ;)

Skirge, The Chef
17th May 2004, 05:07 PM
http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp

u will need that :D

Helena
18th May 2004, 10:45 AM
OK now i'm really stuck. I did the windows update thing like tessa instructed but it came up with about 20 different updates to choose from. Most of them didn't seem relevant but i chose i few that i thought may do the trick. Hasn't worked though unfortunately as when i try downloading java it still comes up with the same message and i still can't get into chat.

any more ideas? graemlins/bouncegrey.gif

Mike.
18th May 2004, 10:51 AM
Emigrate to Papua New Guinea ;)

jacqueliene.
18th May 2004, 12:16 PM
best thing is too update all Helena :D

But what I did at last send a email to java.com and ask what the problem could be and as shocked as I was lol I could come in the chat the day after not sure if the email did his work but try it graemlins/bigwink.gif

hope you works out for you graemlins/friends.gif

graemlins/love.gif jacqueliene

Skirge, The Chef
18th May 2004, 12:17 PM
What version on windows u running ?
and when u do the updates it will tell u what ones are crytical they r the ones u need to download...for winxp sp1 there should be about 19 updates...

But that java link i sent u should work its the one si have to use..

Helena
18th May 2004, 01:18 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by [RwS]Skirge:
What version on windows u running ?
and when u do the updates it will tell u what ones are crytical they r the ones u need to download...for winxp sp1 there should be about 19 updates...

But that java link i sent u should work its the one si have to use..<hr></blockquote>

hiys skirge

i got windows xp. it said there were 2 critical ones which i downloaded and 19 others - i few of which i downloaded but most of them didn't seem relevant at all. but it still won't let me download java :( . may try sending e-mail to java like tessa said.

Skirge, The Chef
18th May 2004, 01:25 PM
Hi :D
Wont let u download java from the link i posted ?
http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

if u cant get the download that may ne down to a firewall if ya running one or try shutting down the winxp firewall....

Helena
18th May 2004, 02:50 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by [RwS]Skirge:
Wont let u download java from the link i posted ?
http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

if u cant get the download that may ne down to a firewall if ya running one or try shutting down the winxp firewall....<hr></blockquote>

thanks skirge

no it won't let me download it from yer link either. how do i shut down the winxp firewall?

Skirge, The Chef
18th May 2004, 03:55 PM
Ok ya Winxp firewall may not be running but check by doing this
Start Menu/Control Pannel/top left click classic view/network connections/
U should see ya connection, right click on it go to properties, in the window
u will see the advanced tab at the top clcick that then make sure there
is NO tick in the box for the xp firewall..that will be that switched off..

If u ant running any other fire wall u should be able to get the download
http://www.java.com/en/index.jsp

goodluck

Helena
18th May 2004, 07:04 PM
thanks again skirge. i just tried that and theres defo no tick in the firewall box. Any more ideas? sorry to keep troubling you rofl. graemlins/friends.gif

Skirge, The Chef
18th May 2004, 07:24 PM
:D np i dont mind...

right so its not ya firewall stopping u getting the download, em if u use icq or msn messenger i can send u it..
MSN = UTWTFCLAN@hotmail.com
ICQ = 120-470-540

Helena
18th May 2004, 09:05 PM
dunno what yer on about mate but i just added you to msn graemlins/bouncegrey.gif

Helena
19th May 2004, 07:54 AM
cheers for that file Skirge - finished downloading about 10:30 last night. Havn't had chance to test chat yet but i'll do it when i get home (at work now). graemlins/friends.gif

Skirge, The Chef
19th May 2004, 08:33 AM
NP :D ya welcome just hope it works or i am stuck on what to try next

Helena
19th May 2004, 07:30 PM
Erm, just got home and tried chat. It's looking a bit better coz it no longer says

DigiChat requires a Java compatible web browser to run.

<hr></blockquote>

like it did before. But now all it says is:-

please be patient as the rooms loads

<hr></blockquote>

On my pc at work i've always had this problem because i think that they have done something to stop us going into chat rooms and stuff. So i don't think the problem is java anymore - but something to do with maybe my security settings or something.

any more ideas? graemlins/bouncegrey.gif

Skirge, The Chef
20th May 2004, 03:46 PM
If u r getting the room loading message
then its gonna work u r on 56k it takes ages for the room to load just keave it it should open up the room...

Debby
20th May 2004, 03:48 PM
hey hun hows you, when you got time can u help me with my media player pls it wont work

Taffy aka SuzieQ
20th May 2004, 06:16 PM
Debby i had that prob i just re-downloaded it,it works fine now. :D
Big love n hugs Sue xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx graemlins/friends.gif graemlins/love.gif graemlins/kiss.gif graemlins/friends.gif

Skirge, The Chef
20th May 2004, 06:22 PM
win media player does it all the time get the latest version..
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=E5F013AC-393C-419D-A2D5-7DB134CC1B32&freetext=&DisplayLang=en

Taffy aka SuzieQ
20th May 2004, 06:26 PM
Wow Skirge you so blinkin clever you should give lessons,i'd pay ya anyday. graemlins/bouncepurple.gif graemlins/smokin.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif
Big love n hugs Sue xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx graemlins/friends.gif graemlins/love.gif graemlins/kiss.gif graemlins/friends.gif

Skirge, The Chef
20th May 2004, 06:50 PM
LOL :D ~

Well the blinkin bit was right i blinked and missed ya post.......