PDA

View Full Version : OMG What a pain in the arse i am. pc help yet again...pf

STING
5th May 2005, 05:43 PM
been trying to reformat my hard drive. went onto search and came up with following;
insert windows cd and let it upload all drivers. choose recovery console and choose item 2. specify which copy of windows and log on with admin password. type in map and press enter. type in format C: \ fs:ntfs and press enter. then press y to indicate you wish to reformat. i've done all this and it says all will be lost from drive c(yay) but then when i say 'y' it tells me 'parameter is not valid'

what the hell's going on? how do i reformat this damn machine??????? :( :( :(

Mike.
5th May 2005, 06:04 PM
Had the same trouble when we did ours and we had to call somebody in to do it for us!

STING
5th May 2005, 06:18 PM
cheers Mike but I WILL NOT BE BEATEN ...Lol!!! when i set me mind to summat i don't give up easily. i'm still busy scanning all search engine searches but can't find owt relevant at the mo :D

Mick_f
5th May 2005, 06:24 PM
is your operating system preloaded for instance on my pc i have system reload disk which take my pc back to factory setting where as my wifes she has to press f5 on the boot up screen to go through the format process ?.
or are you working from a win xp disk?

STING
5th May 2005, 06:26 PM
no, i aint got a recovery disk. it never came with one. don't ask me why. i've just got my drivers disk which is the only disk it came with. i'm trying to use windows xp disk but nowt much is happening!!! :eek:

Mick_f
5th May 2005, 06:28 PM
ok do you know how to access your bios on most pc's its press delete or one of you top buttons ie f1 on boot up you need to set it to boot from cd and it will load the disk for you to format etc

*Cookie*
5th May 2005, 06:29 PM
awww wish i could help ya sting, hope someone will,

Mick_f
5th May 2005, 06:31 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by C00k1e:
awww wish i could help ya sting, hope someone will,<hr></blockquote>

Im trying lol but its been alongggg time since ive had to use a win xp disk lol

STING
5th May 2005, 06:51 PM
yip i can do that. done that before - installed win xp from scratch mesen(which is probably why i dint get a recovery disk)

Mick_f
5th May 2005, 06:52 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sting:
yip i can do that. done that before - installed win xp from scratch mesen(which is probably why i dint get a recovery disk)<hr></blockquote>
well if you do that so it boots from the cd it gives you the option to repair or format if i remember right

STING
5th May 2005, 06:56 PM
no, it gives you the option to repair or install windows. i don't want that option cos i've two operating systems on there and need to get them off!! :D

Mick_f
5th May 2005, 07:00 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sting:
[b]no, it gives you the option to repair or install windows. i don't want that option cos i've two operating systems on there and need to get them off!! :o lol in that case im lost lol

STING
5th May 2005, 07:02 PM
:D

Mick_f
5th May 2005, 07:16 PM
:D <hr></blockquote>
Just a thought i dont know if this will work never had 2 operating systems on when your installing dont it ask you to pick where to install to and you can choose to go over the system already on then it deletes it if you do this for one then let it delete it then reboot and redo it again over the last one you should just have the one you put on then as i say dont know if can do this lol

STING
5th May 2005, 07:30 PM
yes you can do this but it will just reinstall over whichever windows i pick. i've got windows and windows2. it will reinstall over either one of these but will still leave the other standing!!! :D

Mick_f
5th May 2005, 07:32 PM
yes you can do this but it will just reinstall over whichever windows i pick. i've got windows and windows2. it will reinstall over either one of these but will still leave the other standing!!! :D <hr></blockquote>
ok ill shut up now lol
:D graemlins/bouncered.gif

Skirge, The Chef
5th May 2005, 07:38 PM
Formatting hard drive with winxp

Reboot pc when promted to press DEL for bios do so, right you need to select the ordre of boot devices, you need to boot from cd rom. chanfe that exit and save the pc wil ltyhen boot up let it run snd it will then give you options of formating ya HD, format in NTSC not fat32 :D
get stuck shout..

STING
5th May 2005, 07:47 PM
hiya skirge
i can't try and reformat this thing without all the info cos once i start to reformat i'll be off the net for hours...lmao! so if i'm stuck i can't give yer a shout cos i'll be buggered.lol!

tell you what i've done so far; done the bios ting when you change boot sectors(set it to cd rom) put copy of win xp in and let it download its drivers, then it says install xp, recovery or quit. doesn't say format but will say which partition to use. as i've got two operating systems on already i then make my escape as i don't wanna install on top of either of em. need to wipe clean altogether.

i've just been on a site which says the following; reboot with win xpcd. type in FDISK(Doesn't say how you get to this stage where you can type this in by the way) then once in FDISK you are supposed to choose the option delete non dos partition. when complete you should select create partition and set it to 'active' , exit FDISK and reboot from xp disc. select 'boot with cd rom support' and at prompt change to c drive by typing C: and pressing enter. type format and press enter and then put in cd. type setup and follow prompts.

is this any good or am i clutching at yet more straws??? cheers :D

Skirge, The Chef
5th May 2005, 07:57 PM
LOL good point m8
Select install you should then get options I cannot remmeber which way round it is, L or D key but you will get a choise to delete partitions delete em all. The pc will then want to format in fat32 or NTSC U want NTSC file type.
Make sure you have all ya CD's though m8 or you will still be in the same boat you are in now.
A clean install will need drivers for everything in ya pc. Windows will drive some but others it wont...

get this and run it see what it fixes before u do owt,,,
http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/150007-NZIK/TU2004TrialEN-ZDNet.exe

[ 05 May 2005: Message edited by: Skirge ]</p>

STING
5th May 2005, 08:00 PM
i've got everything ready to go. i will try this and will be back if it all goes to pot . wish me luck!!! :D

Mick_f
5th May 2005, 08:01 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Skirge:
LOL good point m8
Select install you should then get options I cannot remmeber which way round it is, L or D key but you will get a choise to delete partitions delete em all. The pc will then want to format in fat32 or NTSC U want NTSC file type.
Make sure you have all ya CD's though m8 or you will still be in the same boat you are in now.
A clean install will need drivers for everything in ya pc. Windows will drive some but others it wont...<hr></blockquote>
I thought it was like that lol its been that long since had to do it from the cd i wasnt sure if was explaining it right
graemlins/laff.gif

*Cookie*
5th May 2005, 08:02 PM
fingers crossed :D

STING
5th May 2005, 08:16 PM
nah, here i am again. it gave me the option of installing and repairing . i chose repair. it just repaired and here i am again. if i chose install it would have just given me a fresh install over the top of this one. where does it say delete partition cos i can't find it!!!! :D

STING
5th May 2005, 08:19 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Skirge:
LOL good point m8
A clean install will need drivers for everything in ya pc. Windows will drive some but others it wont...

get this and run it see what it fixes before u do owt,,,
http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/150007-NZIK/TU2004TrialEN-ZDNet.exe

[ 05 May 2005: Message edited by: Skirge ]<hr></blockquote>

what's it do? i'm downloading it now....

STING
5th May 2005, 08:32 PM
reight, i've scanned, tuned and cleaned up. i'm clean as a whistle now..cheers skirge! but still have no idea how to delete partition.tum te tum te tum (whistling and tapping feet now..... :D _

STING
5th May 2005, 08:42 PM
would you recommend this ; boot up windows, click on my computer. right click on c drive and click format. windows will format for a short time before crashing. reboot pc and you will be asked to reformat and install windows. what do ya think? i got it off this site but it sounds a bit well risky. what do you think? :D

STING
5th May 2005, 08:43 PM
skirge??? anybody (body, body. > echo coming back)

ANYBODY? (BODY BODY.........)

SILENCE! :D

BRIDMADHOUSE
5th May 2005, 09:06 PM
BOOOOOOM !!!!!! graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif

STING
5th May 2005, 09:08 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jj9464:
BOOOOOOM !!!!!! graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif <hr></blockquote>

graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif

*Cookie*
5th May 2005, 09:10 PM
hmmmm way over my head sting :(

STING
5th May 2005, 09:12 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by C00k1e:
hmmmm way over my head sting :( <hr></blockquote>

i can't even draw properly WITHOUT illustrator(whatever that is) so you're well up on me!!!

Skirge, The Chef
5th May 2005, 09:19 PM
Sorry was busy cracking that tune up program :D all done now.

Going to my computer and choosing fotmat will not work m8, windows canot format a drive it is running on.
Is your drive partioned ? if so then are both installs of wibdows on the same partition ?

STING
5th May 2005, 09:21 PM
okay, i think they are on the same partition cos there was only two to choose from initially. one was too small and the other wasn't. i named win xp second version windows2 cos otherwise it would have installed straight over the first one. does this help? sorry for keeping you away from your life!!!! :D :D

Skirge, The Chef
5th May 2005, 09:29 PM
olol its okay m8 :D
I am just getting stoned. graemlins/smokin.gif

i was going to say install windiws on the other partiton but seeing as it is to small, that stuffs that idea.
I have no clue how you are not getting the option to delete a parition though. I am sure it asks u to press L or D..

STING
5th May 2005, 09:31 PM
i'll go look again. thanks for all your help and support! have a great night getting stoned!!!!! :D

tek care now
lorraluvs
sting
xxxxxxxxxx graemlins/smokin.gif graemlins/smokin.gif

Skirge, The Chef
5th May 2005, 09:36 PM
http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/reformat.htm
Follow this m8 u cannot go wrong :D
GOODLUCK M8 graemlins/friends.gif

Mick_f
5th May 2005, 10:14 PM
ok what you idealy need is a boot up disk so you can boot your pc up in dos mode then format it then reinstall xp does this make sense to you skirge (Hoping hes not to stoned lol) graemlins/laff.gif

Mick_f
5th May 2005, 10:16 PM
http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/reformat.htm
Follow this m8 u cannot go wrong :D
GOODLUCK M8 graemlins/friends.gif <hr></blockquote>
Skirge wont this only delete the partition its installing to though???

BRIDMADHOUSE
5th May 2005, 10:19 PM
There's a big pool of black smoke over Sheffield graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif

Mick_f
5th May 2005, 10:31 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jj9464:
There's a big pool of black smoke over Sheffield graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif <hr></blockquote>

Skirge, The Chef
5th May 2005, 10:59 PM
I f his HD is in NTSC then a dos boot up disk wont work, they are for fat32 file sytems. Gone are the days of C:format c:/q . He needs to delte the partition with windows on then when it reboots he will get an option to format the non active space that will a;;ow him to choose to format it into NTSC partition then he can install windows onto it, on the next reboot :D

Mick_f
5th May 2005, 11:03 PM
I f his HD is in NTSC then a dos boot up disk wont work, they are for fat32 file sytems. Gone are the days of C:format c:/q . He needs to delte the partition with windows on then when it reboots he will get an option to format the non active space that will a;;ow him to choose to format it into NTSC partition then he can install windows onto it, on the next reboot :D <hr></blockquote>
Thats what i was trying to explain early in the topic lol but had been that long since id done it myself wasnt sure if was right and would work like that lol

Skirge, The Chef
5th May 2005, 11:19 PM
Yeah, he must have found what he had to do or he would have been back :D

Mick_f
5th May 2005, 11:21 PM
Yeah, he must have found what he had to do or he would have been back :D <hr></blockquote>
Or cant get back whoops
graemlins/laff.gif

BRIDMADHOUSE
6th May 2005, 09:25 AM
or putting the fire out graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif

allisman
6th May 2005, 09:33 AM
Dos Command for you, take care "NO SECOND CHANCES"

Echo y|format c: /fs:ntfs /c /q /x

This will instantley trash the drive, be very carefull

Jim

STING
6th May 2005, 09:34 AM
Yeah, he must have found what he had to do or he would have been back :D <hr></blockquote>

Yeah, SHE must have!!! lmao!!!!!

cheers Skirge and micky for looking out for me. you were absolutely right. i'd dropped a bollo*k along the way. should have gone for install. it then gave me the opportunity of deleting the partition. i've now got just the one operating system but loads of worms and viruses. i bought a copy of mcafee professional off this guy and it refuses to update so it's not helping now. i'm just gonna phone him up and try and get it sorted.

cheers again, much, i'll get there in the end!

by the way, i am FEMALE!!!!

allisman
6th May 2005, 09:35 AM
ps . works on a live drive, ie the one you are typing on .

Great for Fecking up PC world Staff

STING
6th May 2005, 09:42 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by allisman:
ps . works on a live drive, ie the one you are typing on .

Great for Fecking up PC world Staff<hr></blockquote>
cheers Jim, glad i dint go through with that stuff you were talking about. got some kind of normality now. just gotta get rid of viruses and worms now... :D

Skirge, The Chef
6th May 2005, 10:04 AM
LOL Sorry I know ya female. dunno why I put he, that was many spluffs later though :D
So happy ya done now though,.. WELL DONE graemlins/bouncegrey.gif graemlins/bouncepurple.gif

STING
7th May 2005, 09:02 AM
[b]LOL Sorry I know ya female. dunno why I put he, that was many spluffs later though :D
So happy ya done now though,.. WELL DONE :D

BRIDMADHOUSE
7th May 2005, 09:42 AM
you got it sorted then sting :)

STING
7th May 2005, 09:45 AM
you got it sorted then sting :) <hr></blockquote>

aye, though i'm still virused up. my macafee refused to update but the bloke who sold it to me will be coming over this weekend to sort it out!!

Good Ambition
7th May 2005, 09:48 AM
You Geminis, I dunno! :D If my 'puter went down, ain't no way am even gonna TRY and fix it....i'd call me Gemi brother......I've noticed that y'all Gems do manuals and fixing good....must be a Mercury ting! :D :D :D :D

Anyway, I hope the pc is back to normal now Sting....have a good weekend! graemlins/friends.gif

BRIDMADHOUSE
7th May 2005, 09:51 AM
I had a problem once and was given a programme called Kill Disk that completey wiped hd of everything. If you go on yahoo search engine type in kill disk and its the 3rd one down called pc world kill disk and its free.

Beware it wipes everything, then you just put your windows disk in. :) :) good luck

STING
7th May 2005, 10:04 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Good Ambition:
[b]You Geminis, I dunno! :D If my 'puter went down, ain't no way am even gonna TRY and fix it....i'd call me Gemi brother......I've noticed that y'all Gems do manuals and fixing good....must be a Mercury ting! :D :D :D :D

Anyway, I hope the pc is back to normal now Sting....have a good weekend! :D

STING
7th May 2005, 10:06 AM
I had a problem once and was given a programme called Kill Disk that completey wiped hd of everything. If you go on yahoo search engine type in kill disk and its the 3rd one down called pc world kill disk and its free.

Beware it wipes everything, then you just put your windows disk in. :) :) good luck<hr></blockquote> bloody hell, that sounds good. i'm wondering if i wipe disk clean would i kill off all the viruses or would i still be left with em on there???

Skirge, The Chef
7th May 2005, 10:45 AM
Right if you do a format kiss goodbye to any trojan/virus, no way they are still on there you have wipee everythig off it.
If you do have a virus then the virus is on a disc/sofyware that you are installing abck in ya pc. Honest though mcafae ia a really poor AV prgtam... :(

STING
8th May 2005, 02:29 PM
Right if you do a format kiss goodbye to any trojan/virus, no way they are still on there you have wipee everythig off it.
If you do have a virus then the virus is on a disc/sofyware that you are installing abck in ya pc. Honest though mcafae ia a really poor AV prgtam... :( <hr></blockquote>

hi Skirge
sorry i dint get back to you. only been on pc very fleetingly. i couldn't believe what you said. are you sure that when you reformat your viruses all die? is it possible that there's a virus on the windows xp disk?(it's a snide) or the drivers disk. it can only be one of these two as i didn't even get on the net. as soon as i started to load up my drivers disk i got from the company a windows window popped up and told me there were multiple trojans/worms on my system. how do i find the source of the infection?
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Skirge, The Chef
8th May 2005, 02:56 PM
Holy cow, even though your wibdows dic is a copy I would be very shocked if it had trojans on it , same with ya drivers CD.
Go here and do their online scan.
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
DO NOT TRUST MCAFEE!

STING
8th May 2005, 03:12 PM
skirge, i haven't got macafee on yet. i have had to reinstall the pc cillin that came on the drivers disk(avg detected a virus in the pc cillin package) and i have also got avg. i didn't put macafee on till i was told i had multiple trojans/worms by a pop up window as i was installing the drivers. i've currently got 3 trojans in my avg virus vault and one in my pc cillin virus vault but one is still in there cos avg didn't catch it and pc cillin couldn't heal/quarantine or delete it. it's called summat like rbt_gen. avg healed it a while ago before i reformatted. i hate av's they are crap. gonna try panda online but don't think it will let me do it cos of pc cillin and avg!!

STING
8th May 2005, 03:15 PM
can't do it. error on downloading( this happened before i reformatted. don't think my a.v's will let it through) :(

STING
8th May 2005, 03:18 PM
it's my windows firewall that's blocked it. i shall have to turn it off for a wee while! :D

STING
8th May 2005, 03:23 PM
i've turned off my firewall but still can't use it. it says internet explorer has blocked it cos of active x controls. what do i do now. if i tick the box to allow active x i might get all sorts :(

Skirge, The Chef
8th May 2005, 03:24 PM
Yes it will be your winows firlewall blocking it, or windows popup blocker.
You did not have toi install pc cillin but seeing as its in go to theie=r site and update it then run it..

STING
8th May 2005, 03:26 PM
i've ran them both avg and pc cillin, they are both updated to the max(they automatically update every day) and ran them both. also ran spybot and aware and according to them i'm clean as a whistle, but what's happened to rbot_gen? it's not in my quarantine place and pc cillin told me they couldnt do owt with it!!! :roll:

Good Ambition
9th May 2005, 01:56 PM

lmao @ Imani! i can't fix shit!!! what i can do though is bellow for help very loudly and then misunderstand all the instructions. one thing though, i don't like stuff to beat me!!!!
:D <hr></blockquote>

Aha, spoken like a true Taurus! That's my thing!
graemlins/laff.gif

Good Ambition
9th May 2005, 01:58 PM
PS, the title of yer post is a classic. graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif