PDA

View Full Version : woooooooohoooooooooooo

Coty
17th November 2004, 05:31 AM
I finally got my puter networked with my aunt's puter with internet access and now after all these years of borrowing everyone's puter and using it when they allow me to is OVER...EVEN sneaking on the net is OVER..all of u who I've known for 6 years know what I am talking about...lol...I am soooooo happy..have no freakin' clue how I got the puter networked and have internet access...but I am the happiest chicka alive right now....just thought id' share it with you all...as this is the first place I came as soon as I got it running..........

graemlins/bounce.gif graemlins/bounceblue.gif graemlins/bouncegrey.gif graemlins/bouncepurple.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bounceyellow.gif graemlins/bounceblack.gif graemlins/love.gif

MAYBETOMORROW
17th November 2004, 05:35 AM
Congratulations Coty!!!

graemlins/bounce.gif graemlins/bounceblue.gif graemlins/bouncegrey.gif graemlins/bouncepurple.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bounceyellow.gif

Taffy aka SuzieQ
17th November 2004, 07:17 AM
Well done Lil Tita excellent you can be here constant now graemlins/bouncepurple.gif graemlins/bounceblack.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/smokin.gif
Big love me graemlins/friends.gif graemlins/love.gif graemlins/kiss.gif

Skirge, The Chef
17th November 2004, 08:48 AM
Great news :D
I was gonna sk how you were networked lol, router or hub or just networkcards ?. does the other pc have to be booted up for you to get online ? if yes then its networkcards and you may find file sharing a problem..
But aint it cool to have ya own net mp waiting no snaaking about not having to type in stalth mode :D

Coty
17th November 2004, 08:57 AM
Hiya Skirge....
Yah, it's AWESOME....as for the networking, yah it's a bit of a hassle..haven't tried using the PC with her puter off, yet..it took me 2 hours to figure out how to hook it up, if I only followed the directions on the manual, idda' been done way earlier...how I have it hooked up is...Cable modem in the "internet" slot on the modem...then my puter in slot "2" and her puter in slot "1"...i have our network folder on my pc, but can't find it on hers...which i don't really care..lol..as long as I got the bb and chat going, im all good..oh and MSN...though, say for some reason i get a virus...will she get it too? or anything I download to my puter will she get? No, right...she'll only get what's added to the network folder, right? just making sure as i don't want to get her any more upset than she already is about her yahoo messenger...stupid...by the way, I PM'ed you about that..when you got some time..could ya' lemme know what's up with that? thanks...

Coty
17th November 2004, 09:00 AM
or was that your answer in your reply...lol...sorry...if it is, how do I fix that problem..'cause she can use her webcam on MSN, but not on yahoo messenger...dunno about sending files on MSN though...I just tried viewing a webcam on my puter and got the same message...Network Error etc etc....dunno what else it said...any clues??????

Skirge, The Chef
17th November 2004, 09:19 AM
I replied to ya PM :D
You guys need a router, they are the best way of networking puters, no hassle all file sharing will work, alot of routers come with a built in firewall too, and no odnt worry what ever you download she wont get, yes some virusus can work there way overa home network but i wouldnt worry about it to much.
Strange that you cannot view her webcam from your pc though that should work.
i take it thats it just running through MSN.
If it is networkcards you are useing then boot down ya aunts pc you will lose connection too.
If that does happen one of these will fix all ya problems..http://www.netgear.com/products/details/RP614.php
thats one one i used for my cable connection it was superb, the pnly thing is with a cable connection it can take a couple of hours for the connection to get back online once router is hooked up, and youw ill find tech help from your net company wont help you with any bet problems even now with the networkign you have. they are twats like that :D

Coty
17th November 2004, 09:23 AM
well...i put a new network card in my puter 'cause it didn't have an ethernet connection..though hers had one...so that's the only thing...i really had to add, besides the "Linksys" Cable/DSL 4 Port Router...so I have a router..nothing is wireless...her buddy's on her Yahoo list can't view her webcam nor receive any files from her...I can't view webcam's either on Yahoo. I went and tried it to see if it the problem was only on her puter, but it won't work on mine either. This is the only hassle we're having so far. Yah, if I am not mistaken, there was a firewall on her puter, would that be the problem? would I have to turn it off on my puter too?

caja
17th November 2004, 09:35 AM
aboot freaking time likle niece!!!
chat soon
love
chris & andi graemlins/friends.gif

Coty
17th November 2004, 09:50 AM
yah, tellin' me uncle cwis....let's hope fest is this quick, me comin, too....pffffff.......

Skirge, The Chef
17th November 2004, 10:06 AM
ahhhhhhhh you have a router cool, right then its just simple port forwrding, I find setting the first pc inline as DMZ works, you do this from the router control pannel, in the manual it will tell you how to get into that and how to setup DMZ, seeing as its your Aunt thats eems to use more things over the net like file sharing and webcams her pc should be the DMZ. its a little hard for me to tell you how to di it coz i dunno what the lynsky router setup page looks like.

I will try and explain how this works though, the router which is now hooked upto the modem will have the the public ip addy, the ip your aunts pc used to have, the router will now asign an ip for each pc plugged into it, usualy somthing like 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 now the first ip will be your aunts pc th second ip will be your pc. each oip has a load of ports
these ports allow traffic in and out of your pc.
What has happend is the router keeps the ports closed until you open them in the router control pannel, setting the DMZ will open all ports on one pc so everythig will work without having to know what port number each programs uses.
It can be complicated to do and may be called by other names in the lynsky control pannel.
get the manual give it a good read it will explain how to do this, look for port forwarding, virtual servers and DMZ it will be called somthing like that.
I gota go uit we away shopping.
if ya still stuck gimme a shout and i will try to help when i get abck in..
sorry gota flyyyyyyyyyy goodluck :D

read this http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=96

Coty
17th November 2004, 10:20 AM
alrighty, I understand what you're saying....I'll have a go at it tomorrow...she's asleep right now..so dont wanna go in there and bother her...thanks for the link, I think that'll help...also, got ya' on MSN...thank you thank you thank you....

rachelbutler
17th November 2004, 12:25 PM
0key dokey, all gobbity gook to me Coty, but if your happy I'm happy too!!!

graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif

Skirge, The Chef
17th November 2004, 02:45 PM
:D
Well when you get in there to the router you are gonna have fun LOL, MSN and yahoo along with all other chat clients all use different ports, and only 1 pc can be the DMZ so if you want to use cetain things like man for voice chat and webcam hosting you are honna need to know what ports are used by what and for ehat purpose.
so read this its long but it will help..
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/port-table.html#Table
good luck .. graemlins/friends.gif

Coty
18th November 2004, 03:44 AM
thanks a million skirge...I just got in form work and gonna have a look at these sites...will let ya' know how i got along...ughhhh.....

Coty
18th November 2004, 06:51 AM
YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW....got the networking, file sharing and webcam viewing working on both puters..... :D thank you Skirge...you're the best....didn't read the links you gave me..just read the instructions u gave me...put it together with the knowledge of puters I had and vwala it worked...you're the best........ graemlins/friends.gif

Skirge, The Chef
18th November 2004, 10:40 AM
EXELLENT :D
See you are going to be a network engineer in n no time, chuffed to bits for ya.. graemlins/friends.gif