PDA

View Full Version : do you know what a buffalo soldier is?

dkh
30th September 2004, 05:09 PM
Co-written by Bob Marley and N.G. Williams, aka King Sporty. The song recounted the true story of four post-Civil War regiments of the U.S. Army - the 9th and 10th Cavalry and the 24th and 25th Infantry. These units were composed of black privates under the command of white brass, who fought for a quarter century against the Cheyenne, Comanche, Kiowa, Apache, Ute and Sioux. In the end, fourteen key black campaigners, whom the Indians had dubbed "buffalo soldiers," were awarded the Medal of Honor as part of a public relations move to justify and glorify the genocide of Native Americans, underlining the U.S. government's policy of manifest destiny. Such were the ploys that, then as now, comprised the politics of neutralization.

now you do :D

BRUMMY UB
30th September 2004, 05:15 PM
WELL, WE LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY HERE ;)

*Cookie*
30th September 2004, 05:28 PM
we do dont we,
its a goldmine of info, that will be stored and hopefully oneday used at the pub quiz

Skirge, The Chef
30th September 2004, 05:30 PM
You been watching Time Will Tell... lol
think that is where i heard that stoy.. :D

dkh
30th September 2004, 05:48 PM
no.it`s just one of the vast amounts of knowledge i have :eek: graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif

Skirge, The Chef
30th September 2004, 05:56 PM
LOL - Dam now i gota try and think if it was Time Will Tell wher ei heard that, was hoping i was right woulda been so much easier :D

MAYBETOMORROW
3rd October 2004, 11:48 PM
We are all so wise at the BB!!
:)

Doktor X
5th October 2004, 09:17 AM
Nice one. :D

KuUaLoHa_2004
6th October 2004, 09:47 AM
Thanks for sharing! :D

butler
6th October 2004, 09:56 AM
But do you know why the native Americans particually the LAKOTA called dem buffalo soldiers?????????????????????????????????

dkh
6th October 2004, 11:27 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by butler:
But do you know why the native Americans particually the LAKOTA called dem buffalo soldiers?????????????????????????????????<hr></blockquote>

they were named by the Indians partly because their dark curly hair was so similar to the buffalo`s, but most importantly it was a sign of respect. The Indians felt that like the mighty buffalo, the Buffalo Soldiers fought ferociously to the end. Their motto became "Ready and Forward." it was actualy the cheyenne that first refered to them as buffalo soldiers.the reason i didn`t mention the LAKOTA in my first post is because they are part of the SIOUX nation as are the NAKOTA and the DAKOTA.each have seperate "bands" within the tribes like this:-

The Lakota have 7 bands:

Hunkpapa
Oglala
Sicangu
Miniconjous
Sihasapa
Oohenupa
Itazipacola

The Dakota Sioux (also called Santee Sioux) with 4 bands:

Mdewakantonwon
Wahpeton
Wahpekute