PDA

View Full Version : Sins of the Fathers

Jolene
24th June 2005, 08:03 PM
Great song dont ya think? graemlins/bounce.gif Love it but I dont have a clue what its talking about. Is it a true story of something in history or what? Any insight on this?

graemlins/love.gif Jolene

UBLutwyche
24th June 2005, 08:10 PM
Its a story, with a kind of moral in it. If you get what I mean.

But its a wonderful song yeah. :D graemlins/friends.gif

kate13
24th June 2005, 08:10 PM
jolene ;) arn't most songs usually are written on life experiences.

k

Nicola R
24th June 2005, 08:42 PM
:) what a moving track with a beautiful melody .....

I wondered if it's refering to the slave trade (people bought & sold & ship of fools go sailing)...with greed & sufferin 'n all the ships ..

slave triangle (circle).....men-(slaves shipped from africa to americas & goods (cotton, sugar, tobacco -rum)(gold) back to europe

but aint sure.....

maybe jimmy could tell it like it is :)

Jolene
24th June 2005, 08:48 PM
Hiya Nic, I was pretty sure about the slave trade part. Who is this part talking about?

As men of rhyme and reason
Let the devil take their soul
For greed and fame and fortune
And a river black as gold

who are the men of rhyme and reason?

I think I'm trying a little too hard :roll:

kate13
24th June 2005, 08:50 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>As men of rhyme and reason
Let the devil take their soul
And a river black as gold <hr></blockquote>

The money men which is why slavery is still going on to the present day

[ 24 June 2005: Message edited by: kath ]</p>

Skirge, The Chef
24th June 2005, 08:51 PM
I love this track and yup I would say it was about the slave trade, and not just from the 1700-1930 slave trade but today and the shocking present slave trade that is going on under our noses..

Nicola R
24th June 2005, 09:01 PM
Hiya Jolene..

The rhyme & reason bit may be -
what rhyme or reason could make them choose to do such an barbaric act...SO - let the devil take their soul...(go to hell) -them being the Europeans-British amongst them who organised the capture of the Africans to send to americas to work

And a river black as gold.......
not sure...........but the europeans were surely getting a good deal being payed with abundace of goods..... :(

sparkler
25th June 2005, 08:04 PM
My interpretation of this track as soon as I heard it was that is is about corrupt politicians - being bought and sold and all that. Keeping the ones that need the help "the sick the young the old" in need, and taking all the glory themselves. Bangles beads and baubles is their reward!!

Maybe I'm wrong - love this track tho.

Sarah xx

audrey1975
25th June 2005, 08:06 PM
i have to agree it is a minted track.. think it really stands out from the rest of them..

Jolene
26th June 2005, 12:14 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sparkler:
My interpretation of this track as soon as I heard it was that is is about corrupt politicians - being bought and sold and all that. Keeping the ones that need the help "the sick the young the old" in need, and taking all the glory themselves. Bangles beads and baubles is their reward!!

Maybe I'm wrong - love this track tho.

Sarah xx<hr></blockquote>

That makes sense. So I wonder which it is....slave trade or corrupt polititions.

Seahorse
26th June 2005, 04:47 AM
Jolene, there are some lines in this track which in my eye's really relate to where WE are and a certain person in Washington. Maybe I'm so biased I can't get past it.

Seahorse
26th June 2005, 04:49 AM
Heck, forgot to say I love it.
OK........... I still love all of them. :)

MAYBETOMORROW
26th June 2005, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Seahorse:
Heck, forgot to say I love it.
OK........... I still love all of them. :) <hr></blockquote>

So true Gail! graemlins/beer.gif

bt/ub40
26th June 2005, 10:20 AM
Greetings.. the line 'Rivers BLACK as Gold' is a reference to OIL...the song is about the Iraq war....Christian might over Islam...'Thousand burning crosses' etc.....in wars all people are bought and sold,soldiers ,civilians everyone,the rich the poor the old...SO..NO its got nothing to do with slavery in the historic sense its about our fearless leaders and thier lust for riches/oil disguised as a 'helping hand' under the banner of 'Liberation' BT

bt/ub40
26th June 2005, 11:02 AM
bttt for Jack

j59
26th June 2005, 11:26 AM
:)
love jx

bt/ub40
26th June 2005, 11:54 AM
'black as gold'...meaning very valuable

Skirge, The Chef
26th June 2005, 12:05 PM
LOL Dam we were miles off with that one, now thats a well hidden meaning graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif
Sure yuou dont want to make it about slavery m8? flew straight over our heads that one LOL

Mick_f
26th June 2005, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Skirge:

Sure yuou dont want to make it about slavery m8? flew straight over our heads that one LOL<hr></blockquote>

graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif

j59
26th June 2005, 04:13 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bt/ub40:
'black as gold'...meaning very valuable<hr></blockquote>

:o I'll go wash me ears out right now :o
love jx

Jolene
27th June 2005, 11:56 PM
Hey Brian, thanks for clearing that up! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who totally didnt get the meaning of that one!!! :D ;)