PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT Go to Wembley Pavilion

chris7
15th May 2005, 05:26 PM
Be warned, we went there last Wednesday to see Queen+PR and with the flat floor you cannot see a thing. Do not take my word, go to the Brian May site and click on "Return to the subject of The Pavilion". www.brianmay.com/whatsnew.html (http://www.brianmay.com/whatsnew.html)

Regards to you all.

sweetsensation
15th May 2005, 05:51 PM
Just read it, thanks for the advance warning...what a shame :(

Shel graemlins/love.gif

Mick_f
15th May 2005, 05:51 PM
Oh wow that dosnt sound good at all :eek: :eek:

john(ub40)p
15th May 2005, 05:53 PM
ALL THOSE HAVING TICKETS FOR THIS GIG PLS GO CAUSE IT WOULDNT LOOK GOOD ON THE LADS (NO ONE THERE) BUT EH HE HAS A POINT ITS PRETTY SHIT BUT I WILL BE THERE IVE GOT ME TICKETS graemlins/smokin.gif

Rachel~B
15th May 2005, 05:55 PM
not looking good is it? I suppose it'll be what we make of it... :)

Mick_f
15th May 2005, 05:56 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by john(ub40)p:
ALL THOSE HAVING TICKETS FOR THIS GIG PLS GO CAUSE IT WOULDNT LOOK GOOD ON THE LADS (NO ONE THERE) BUT EH HE HAS A POINT ITS PRETTY SHIT BUT I WILL BE THERE IVE GOT ME TICKETS graemlins/smokin.gif <hr></blockquote>
If i remember right Bt did a post some time back saying they had never seen the pavilion i have a feeling things might change once this post has been read im sure the post he answered before was warning him what the pavilion was like anyone remember it????

janice
15th May 2005, 06:12 PM
just glad im not goin there graemlins/bounceblack.gif

Frankie
15th May 2005, 06:52 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by micky_f:
Oh wow that dosnt sound good at all <hr></blockquote>

If you can't see anything then hopefully it does still sound good. I'll be there coz I'm taking my boy but I'll get a better view at the NEC :D

graemlins/bounce.gif graemlins/bounceblue.gif graemlins/bouncegrey.gif graemlins/bouncepurple.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bounceyellow.gif graemlins/bounceblack.gif

UBLutwyche
15th May 2005, 10:29 PM
Never mind, still got another 9 gigs :D

champane
16th May 2005, 06:28 AM
Must admit dont like the look of this place take a look yourselves>>>>

http://www.whatsonwembley.com/htdocs/wembley_pavilion.php?name=wembley+arena+pavilion

only you can decide to go or not

after all a ub40 gig is a ub40 gig after all :D

graemlins/love.gif

oLdbOi
16th May 2005, 07:42 AM
bit strong..'DO NOT GO.....'..relax...flat floors means y'can stand up without rolling over!...lmao...Brixton Academy has a flat floor...what a venue...no seats mind you!...
havn't been, could be proved wrong...but Pavillion could be a nice cosy venue for the UB's...stage should be 'neck tilted' high...
sound should be better than Arena...dance WILL be nice....
SO...EVERYONE 'DO' GO TO WEMBLEY!!!...

.soundbOi...flat floor hussler... :)

ausiedeb
16th May 2005, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sean Lutwyche:
Never mind, still got another 9 gigs :D <hr></blockquote>

Here we go again! :D :D

Helena
16th May 2005, 09:33 AM
well i'm still gonna go graemlins/bouncegrey.gif

oLdbOi
16th May 2005, 09:38 AM
the world is flat!...well it was for a while...
big ship sailing 'cross de ocean....

wemblOi... ;)

Rachel~B
16th May 2005, 09:42 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Helena:
[b]well i'm still gonna go :D

champane
16th May 2005, 01:50 PM
Im not saying "dont go" i just dont like the look of it, maybe take away all those red chairs it would look better (a dance hall) but as i said before as long as ub40 do what they do best does it really matter what it looks like? ............

NOOOO so just enjoy the gig every one that is going

Enjoy everyone going :D

graemlins/love.gif

sweetsensation
16th May 2005, 02:19 PM
Just thought about it....and really...who's gonna remain seated? :D so go ans wind ur waist down in London town...don't worry about a thing.

Rachel~B
16th May 2005, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sweetsensation:
Just thought about it....and really...who's gonna remain seated? :D so go ans wind ur waist down in London town...don't worry about a thing.<hr></blockquote>

graemlins/bigwink.gif I aint worried... graemlins/bouncered.gif

Rossy
16th May 2005, 04:55 PM
WoW his web site is full of loads of Up to date info isnt it?

Rossy :) :) :)

The Prisoner
16th May 2005, 05:48 PM
I gotta say the venue looks shite! However im still gonna be there.

Pris. graemlins/smokin.gif

Grinner
16th May 2005, 06:50 PM
already put this to BT, he said it was the largest venue for them to play in london,so i have no choice but to go there :(

Grinner
16th May 2005, 06:57 PM
believe me when i say you cannot see a thing,you have to watch the lads on the big screens.

Mistress Dep-choon
16th May 2005, 06:57 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by oLdbOi:
the world is flat!...well it was for a while...
big ship sailing 'cross de ocean....

wemblOi... ;) <hr></blockquote>

christopher colum"boi" graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif

Poesiemau
17th May 2005, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Grinner:
believe me when i say you cannot see a thing,you have to watch the lads on the big screens.<hr></blockquote>

Not even when you're first row?? :confused:

But then again, there aren't many flat floor venues that will give you a good view if you are farther to the back are they? Don't think Wembley's the only one...

Loraine aka Smitten
17th May 2005, 02:25 PM
Mmmmmm :D .
The positive is.....great music, brilliant atmosphere and lovely peeps...roll on December

Big luv
Loraine

Rachel~B
17th May 2005, 02:40 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Smitten:
The positive is.....great music, brilliant atmosphere and lovely peeps...roll on December

Big luv
Loraine<hr></blockquote>

graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif

chris7
17th May 2005, 05:36 PM
Hi, I am back again to let you know I am not a UB40 fan, I just joined to let you know how bad it was on the night of Queen+PR. A few points after reading your replies, on the night there were not any screens anywhere, the crowd stood up from start to finish, which if you think about it, actually makes it worse to see the stage because you are looking over a higher object to start with. It is like a big tent with shit acoustics to match, and after paying 55 for ALL seats, you get mugged in the car park for another 15 to park one car. Enjoy your evening, at least yours is cheaper.
Regards to you all.

Helena
17th May 2005, 07:16 PM
thanks for the warning chris. i'm sure we'll still have a nice evening though graemlins/bouncegrey.gif

UBLutwyche
17th May 2005, 07:17 PM
Can't wait :D :D :D

Have a few :D

Mick_f
17th May 2005, 07:53 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sean Lutwyche:
Can't wait :D :D :D

Have a few :D <hr></blockquote>

Fingers crossed i might be there yet :D

UBLutwyche
17th May 2005, 08:00 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by micky_f:

Fingers crossed i might be there yet :D <hr></blockquote>

:D :D

Dave w
17th May 2005, 08:09 PM
its not a good venue its to big but who cares as long as you can hear them i am going to brighton this time hope it a good venue hpoe you have a goog time at wembley graemlins/beer.gif graemlins/beer.gif

janice
17th May 2005, 08:14 PM
well wot ever its like u got ur tickets now so you all go and make the most of it and dance the night away, graemlins/bounceblue.gif graemlins/bouncegrey.gif graemlins/bouncegrey.gif graemlins/bounceblue.gif

UBLutwyche
17th May 2005, 08:20 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by janice:
well wot ever its like u got ur tickets now so you all go and make the most of it and dance the night away<hr></blockquote>

well said janice :D :D

i'll be dancing the night away with :D

I can't wait :D

graemlins/bounceblue.gif

bt/ub40
18th May 2005, 01:20 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by chris7:
Be warned, we went there last Wednesday to see Queen+PR and with the flat floor you cannot see a thing. Do not take my word, go to the Brian May site and click on "Return to the subject of The Pavilion". www.brianmay.com/whatsnew.html (http://www.brianmay.com/whatsnew.html)

Regards to you all.<hr></blockquote>

thanks chris.we'll cancel that one then..BT

UB40-Fan
18th May 2005, 01:21 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bt/ub40:

thanks chris.we'll cancel that one then..BT<hr></blockquote>

graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif

UBLutwyche
18th May 2005, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bt/ub40:

thanks chris.we'll cancel that one then..BT<hr></blockquote>

:D :D

[ 18 May 2005: Message edited by: Sean Lutwyche ]</p>

The Prisoner
18th May 2005, 01:26 PM
graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif

The Prisoner
18th May 2005, 01:29 PM
Brian May even said hiself that this venue was totally shite!

Best to cancel the gig me thinks....look at the photos!!!!

Mick_f
18th May 2005, 01:31 PM
Omg Nooooooo this was the one i was hoping to go toooooooo :eek:

The Prisoner
18th May 2005, 01:33 PM
Brian May Says:

It's not really my business, of course, and I can't comment officially ... but my guess is that if the guys in UB40 play it, and sell it out to the back, they will end up feeling as embarrassed as we do, and sad that their fans got a raw deal. I got a picture that someone took from about half way back, and I think it says it all. This is the best view they could get of me ! (Thanks Richard!) Of all the concert venues I have ever played, there has been nothing to approach this in blatant disregard for the experience of the paying audience. It's a disgrace. Anyone with half a brain, and even a scrap of conscience, would have looked at this edifice and said, "This cannot possibly work as a concert building - we cannot do this".

I have looked through all the letters giving us feedback ...... so many great people, some of whom said it was the best playing they ever experienced, but they saw nothing, and heard only with bad quality. We are so incensed that we plan to offer EVERYONE who attended this show a special deal on our upcoming Hyde Park gig. Expect an announcemement from Queen/PR soon. It remains to be seen what the venue themselves will offer in compensation to the hundreds, if not thousands of unhappy fans.

Cheers
Brian

P.S. Roger and I were almost apoplectic when we arrived at the sound-check in the afternoon. Nothing had prepared us for what we saw. We walked all the way back, past the sound desk, where it was already difficult to see the stage, and then past blocks of red seats, then blue seats, then a token 'bleacher' block at the very back. We wondered if there was anything we could do at the last minute. If we had known in advance perhaps we could have had some kind of screens - but in my opinion this would still not make the gig viable for the back half of the tent. I contemplated "doing and Angus Young" - being carried out to the back seats on the shoulders of a guard, and playing the whole solo moving around out front. Unfortunately we realized that without taking time to rehearse this we were risking messing up the show. To give you an idea of the length of this nightmare of a place ... when I took the guitar out to the back, on a wireless connection, the delay from the stage was almost exactly the length of my regular digital delays for the solo ... i.e. nearly a whole second ! Trying to play meaningfully in this situation is almost impossible, of course. The only way way would be to have a travelling monitor speaker hooked up to the P.A., turned up loud enough to drown the room sound while I played. One day I'll try this, maybe .... but that night ? .... I don't even want to think about it. Cheers
bri

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Thu 12 May 05**
RETURN TO THE SUBJECT OF THE "PAVILION"

Yes - I said I would return to the subject of the "Pavilion" at Wembley. If I had known what an utterly unsuitable building this was, I never would have played it. And I'm sure this goes for the rest of us too. I was disgusted that this had been offered as a suitable venue to musically entertain 12,000 people. In my opinion it is a disgrace, and everyone should know it. We will be looking into what can be done to make sure that nothing like this ever happens again where we are concerned. As for dealing with the complaints, I will be very interested to see what the Wembley people propose. This cannot be the first time this has happened. I feel angry and disappointed for all those who didn't get a decent view - which I think means just about anyone further back than the mixing desk. It was bitterly disappointing for us to find that all the effort we put in to make the show COME CLOSE to everyone in the audience were frustrated in this terrible tent. There have also been many complaints about the behaviour of the stewards, which I think reflects the policies of the venue. I think an inquiry is justified, into the whole thing. We, the band, and our production team, gave 150 per cent, but to those of you in the blue seats, only a small percentage can have reached you. This is miserable for you and for us.

How incredible that London, of all European major cities, has the WORST apology for a large music venue ... and no prospect of an improvement. What is the matter with us ? And this the City which is clamouring to host the Olympics? It's a joke. We couldn't host a Teddy Bears Tea Party.

And I would like to know who is paying for all this advertising I see all around London, calling for us to "Support the Bid" Why ??? Do I want the Olympics here ? Hell No. Did anyone ask us, fellow Londoners, if we wanted this ? I don't think so. Another arrogance of the Ken Livingstone regime. I say again ...WHO IS PAYING ?? How about instead, spending our money on buliding a a decent venue for Rock music ???

Cheers all
Bri

bt/ub40
18th May 2005, 01:42 PM
i was being cynical of course.....its too late to cancel,we would have to play even if no-one turned up...the problem is its been INCREDIBLY difficult to find the right kind of venue on those dates in London..nothing we can do about it, except NOT play in London on the next UK tour. BT

Helena
18th May 2005, 01:45 PM
i'm sure everyone is gonna turn up bri. it'll be fine and we'll all have a great time graemlins/bouncegrey.gif

UBLutwyche
18th May 2005, 01:45 PM
i was being cynical of course.....its too late to cancel,we would have to play even if no-one turned up...the problem is its been INCREDIBLY difficult to find the right kind of venue on those dates in London..nothing we can do about it, except NOT play in London on the next UK tour. BT<hr></blockquote>

I think thats embarassing for London (the capital city of England). One of the major cities in Euroope and they haven't got a decent venue for music/the arts etc.

I think Birmingham should be officially the 1st city, we all know it is anyway :D :D

Mick_f
18th May 2005, 01:48 PM

I think thats embarassing for London (the capital city of England). One of the major cities in Euroope and they haven't got a decent venue for music/the arts etc.

I think Birmingham should be officially the 1st city, we all know it is anyway :D :D <hr></blockquote>
In all fairness dont forget this is just temp untill wembley arena has had its face lift im sure once this is back up and running things will be better
:D

bt/ub40
18th May 2005, 02:02 PM
greetings again...i had'nt seen Brian Mays response when i answered this post...all i can say is we will do our best to make the gig an enjoyable experience for everyone and i am in the process of making enquiries regards 'doing something about it' but from what i have read its seems like a 'difficult one' I feel I must Thank Chris for his post and bothering to take the time to let us know. we had no idea that this 'temporary' venue was so inappropriate. BT

Poesiemau
18th May 2005, 03:40 PM
greetings again...i had'nt seen Brian Mays response when i answered this post...all i can say is we will do our best to make the gig an enjoyable experience for everyone and i am in the process of making enquiries regards 'doing something about it' but from what i have read its seems like a 'difficult one' I feel I must Thank Chris for his post and bothering to take the time to let us know. we had no idea that this 'temporary' venue was so inappropriate. BT<hr></blockquote>

Temporary or not... its the only gig i have good seats for :D That is to say... if they ever arrive... Ticketmaster you know :eek:

chris7
18th May 2005, 05:28 PM
Hi once again, and thanks for some nice comments aimed my way. I would like to thank Brian May, Roger Taylor, for their outspoken comments on the night of the Gig and since, together with UB40 band members and fans alike for all their comments on this site. At least it shows we both follow bands that actually care about their fans, which in my opinion makes them "Real Stars" in every sense of the word.
Regards to you all

Mick_f
18th May 2005, 05:34 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Poesiemau:
[b]

Temporary or not... its the only gig i have good seats for :D That is to say... if they ever arrive... Ticketmaster you know :D It may be the only one i get to go to but im just gonna make the most of it solong as we got the ubies playing what else do you need :D

singerman
18th May 2005, 10:04 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by chris7:
Hi once again, and thanks for some nice comments aimed my way. I would like to thank Brian May, Roger Taylor, for their outspoken comments on the night of the Gig and since, together with UB40 band members and fans alike for all their comments on this site. At least it shows we both follow bands that actually care about their fans, which in my opinion makes them "Real Stars" in every sense of the word.
Regards to you all<hr></blockquote>

hi chris, thank u for your friendly visit to the site. when i 1st read the title to your post, i thought someone had arrived to shit-stir, but its been a really informative insight to wembley arena's temporary home. hope the re-vamped arena lives up to expectation for the capital, i also hope u get to see queen pretty soon to get over your recent dissappointment. take care m8, rick.x

graemlins/beer.gif

chris7
19th May 2005, 10:26 AM
Dear singerman, thanks for that post above. I am 58 and medically retired, I have got all day everyday to annoy Wembley. Last week I paid 220 for 4 tickets, 15 to park one car, what with something to eat and drink and travelling 300, I was mugged. I am working my way through whatsonwembley and joining all the fan clubs, then linking them to this post and of course Brian May. So you could hear from Blue, McFly, A-ha, Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, Status Quo, etc. Wembley will rue the day they robbed me of 300.
Regards to you all.

alliluvsmusic
19th May 2005, 12:22 PM
Good on you Chris one for coming here and letting everyone know and two for getting on at Wembley. I would be as outraged as you are if it were me. The photos don't look good but hopefully the loonies will make a night of it anyway.

graemlins/beer.gif

chris7
19th May 2005, 03:48 PM
I am sure you lot of Loonies will have a great time, now the Band know the score, they can make some alterations, even a couple of screens would be a 100% improvement. I have been going to the Arena for a few years and I will give you a tip. 25-50 yards on the left before the entrance to the 15 car park coming from the A406 is a row of small factories, look out for a very nice coloured chap called Ben, he gives you a ticket and you park there for about 5. We done it last week and about 6x times last year, great saving and easier to get out after. Regards

bt/ub40
19th May 2005, 04:02 PM
Hi Chris..Thanks again for all the info (you will be recognised in the UB40 'do'er of good' award ceremony this year,even if you dont dig our stuff too much ;) for everyone else I have already made arrangements for 'jumbotron' screens and we are paying a pre gig visit to the venue with the PA company to see what kind of delay towers will be needed,plus the possibility of raising the stage a few feet..im even toying with the idea of nicking Brian Mays idea of making it up to the bleachers on a security guys shoulders BUT being of the FAT variety of horn players it may proove hazardous to audience safety,plus the fact that my solos would only last as far as rows D-E...anyway thats all for now,im doing interviews to promote our new album release all day from home and the next call is scheduled for 4:00pm..take care BT

chris7
19th May 2005, 05:32 PM
No disrespect intended, even an old git like me would put Kingston Town in my all time Top Twenty.
Regards

Pigsy
19th May 2005, 05:38 PM
isnt that great that Brian T & Co go to all that trouble for the Wembley gig. Well done guys, its a pleasure to listen to your excellent music, an even bigger pleasure now knowing you care.

kathy
19th May 2005, 11:14 PM
HAVE JUST LOOKED ON THEATREMONKEY.COM AS I WAS GOING TO BOOK TICKETS FOR WEMBLEY 76 EACH BUT SO FAR BACK NOT WORTH IT. ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE GOT TICKETS LOOK ON THIS SITE AND YOU WILL SEE WHERE YOU WILL BE SITTING.

I'M GOING TO TRY FOR NEC IF CANT GET ANY WILL TRY DUBLIN

chris7
20th May 2005, 09:43 AM
Following on from above. Do not be deceived by the plans and pictures, we were in Block C4 and it is much further back than it looks on paper and we could not see a thing. When I purchased C4 I was over the moon, until I entered on the night. The Pavilion is 10 yards wide and a mile long, (joke) but you get what I am saying. There is a 9 inch stepup to get on the flat floor, I bet 5,000 people either tripped up on the way in, or fell down it on the way out, I look forward to many of you coming back here and telling me how wrong I was, then I know something was done in your favour.
Regards to you all.

johnny 2 bad
20th May 2005, 01:56 PM
wow!.. :( On looking at information about the pavillion,they seem to make it out to be the bees and eee's for concerts as a temporary venue,whilst the arena is being refurbished.. :roll: I know BT will try to make it a concert to remember,so I think we'll just have to make the best of a bad job if the write ups are true and avoid this venue in future..Cheers ..Take care.. graemlins/beer.gif

Mick_f
21st May 2005, 12:21 AM
Following on from above. Do not be deceived by the plans and pictures, we were in Block C4 and it is much further back than it looks on paper and we could not see a thing. When I purchased C4 I was over the moon, until I entered on the night. The Pavilion is 10 yards wide and a mile long, (joke) but you get what I am saying. There is a 9 inch stepup to get on the flat floor, I bet 5,000 people either tripped up on the way in, or fell down it on the way out, I look forward to many of you coming back here and telling me how wrong I was, then I know something was done in your favour.
Regards to you all.<hr></blockquote>
BT this cant be good for healthy and safety reasons god forbid there was a fire and they couldnt get electrics working so no lights people gonna end up falling on this step in panick
:eek:

chris7
21st May 2005, 10:41 AM
I stand corrected, I have it on good authority it is actually a SIX INCH step on to the flat floor, and not nine inch, apologies and Regards.