PDA

View Full Version : I Would Do For You - covered

JorisJ
6th May 2005, 10:30 PM
just heard a version of this wonderful song by the band Slightly Stoopid from the USA and must say they really did a good job covering this ub40 tune from 1988. They really captured the vibe of the song and the wonderfull bass/keyboard/bells sound that the song has. Did anyone else hear this version by Slightly Stoopid? What's your opinion on it?

JorisJ

JorisJ
6th May 2005, 10:46 PM
oh, forgot the link to checkout the song:

http://www.slightlystoopid.com/ecard/

Enjoy,
JorisJ

Wikidwander
6th May 2005, 10:52 PM
i hope they ent a piss take band that r taking one....slightly stupid we play slightly stupid songs by slightly stupid bands...ad bab tht link dnt work 4 me can u try gain pweez i wan hear it lol

The Prisoner
6th May 2005, 11:17 PM
Initial thoughts.....sounds quite cool.

Pris. graemlins/smokin.gif

Robinsduvet
6th May 2005, 11:18 PM
JUST LISTENED TO IT...........ITS GREAT :D

LISTENED TO THE THREE SONGS THAT ARE ON THE SITE AND I THINK IT WILL BE A GOOD BUY :D

graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bounceyellow.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bounceyellow.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif

[ 06 May 2005: Message edited by: Robinsduvet ]</p>

Rossy
6th May 2005, 11:20 PM
No bad mate how do you find this stuff mate
your amazing LOL

Rossy :) :) :)

UBLutwyche
6th May 2005, 11:20 PM
I LOVE IT!!!

The bass line is so well done. There's something about his voice that is kind of like Ali's.

You're right Joris. Its a decent cover. To be honest I have never really heard a cover of the UBs. And its nice to hear! :D

The Prisoner
6th May 2005, 11:24 PM
The band have a reggae/rock feel that i like very much.... thinking of getting this album now. Nice one Joris.

Pris. graemlins/smokin.gif

UBLutwyche
6th May 2005, 11:24 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rossy Boy:
your amazing LOL

Rossy :) :) :) <hr></blockquote>

I could see you breaking into a George Michael choon. I think you're amazing dah dah da, dah dah da... graemlins/laff.gif

Angel.
6th May 2005, 11:25 PM
Sounds really good never heard of them before but listening to that track and the others i would buy the album......

Love Angelxx
graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif

Wikidwander
6th May 2005, 11:26 PM
ooohhhhh yay it worked i was being impatient lol very kewl one ov fav songs n e way

BIG KAHUNA
7th May 2005, 01:58 AM
Wow...sweet cover! Thanks! graemlins/smokin.gif

BIG KAHUNA
7th May 2005, 03:22 AM
Went out and got the cd....the song SEE IT NO OTHER WAY (featuring Barrington Levy) is one great Reggae SONG - kinda stoney, yah mon! graemlins/smokin.gif

Jolene
7th May 2005, 03:29 AM
Very nice! Its good to hear someone covering a UB40 song. The other songs sound great too. ;)

graemlins/love.gif Jolene

Jessica
7th May 2005, 10:32 AM
quite cool :D

deanub40
7th May 2005, 10:43 AM
WOW Joris that is amazing!!!!! What a great discovery!!!! Nice to hear a great cover of a classic original UB40 song.

Does this make you the new Rossy??????? :) :) :)

Skirge, The Chef
7th May 2005, 10:50 AM
Wow they did a good job, great find m8 :D

DJ
7th May 2005, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rossy Boy:
your amazing LOL

Rossy :) :) :) <hr></blockquote>

have to agree with you here Rossy, some of the stuff JJ finds is amazing graemlins/smokin.gif

JorisJ
7th May 2005, 11:05 AM
thanks you guys, just hope you enjoy the stuff! I am now trying to find the live version of ALL I WANT TO DO by No Doubt who include it in their concerts as a tribute to their musical heroes and influences (UB40, Police, etc).

JorisJ

butler
7th May 2005, 11:07 AM
Seek and ye shall find "No Doubt" this is true...

big ups to you brother.

ausiedeb
7th May 2005, 11:13 AM
thanks for link! great stuff!

So no-one here has heard the cover of 2-pac's Impossible Love???! :D shocking!

JorisJ
7th May 2005, 11:18 AM
the 2Pac one is an illegal/non-official mix, there is a version of Red Red Wine also with 2Pac and other rappers. There are quite a few non-official mixes on the net with ub40 samples.

JorisJ

wallie28
7th May 2005, 11:51 AM
nice cover nice bassline
thanks for that :D

BIG KAHUNA
7th May 2005, 03:05 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jolene:
Big Kahuna you dont waste time now do ya?!<hr></blockquote>

Remember, I'm in Oklahoma....what else am I gonna do on a Friday night? graemlins/laff.gif Lucky for me, tHere was one copy left at the Best Buy I went to.

[ 07 May 2005: Message edited by: BIG KAHUNA ]</p>

UB40IB32
7th May 2005, 03:15 PM
Nice cover of a UB40 song thanks for that

Jolene
7th May 2005, 05:20 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BIG KAHUNA:
[b]

Remember, I'm in Oklahoma....what else am I gonna do on a Friday night? :D

graemlins/love.gif Jolene

Lou.B
7th May 2005, 05:36 PM
Nice, thanks Joris :D

gaynorubfan05
7th May 2005, 06:31 PM
thanks joris
lovely tune

from gaynor

BIG KAHUNA
7th May 2005, 10:34 PM
Guess UB40 is one of their REGGAE influences, check it:

he album's first single "Somebody" is a blues romp peppered with a timely sample of the late ODB from Wu Tang's "36 Chambers" (eerily recorded less than a month prior to the late hip-hop luminary's overdose, and scratched by the infamous D.J. Field Marshall). The solid bass lines of the band's newest weed anthems "This Joint" and "Fat Spliffs" lend deep grooves to hip-hop rhythms. In fact, reggae legend Barrington Levy, who appears on "See It No Other Way," said, "I took this song back to Jamaica and my kids wouldn't let me take it out of the tape deck."

Boasting dual front men, Slightly Stoopid possesses a unique dynamic and kinship. They share a multitude of influences, from the acoustic leanings of Cat Stevens, Tom Petty, Django Reinhardt, and the Grateful Dead, to old school reggae and dub artists Augustus Pablo, Lee Scratch Perry, Yellowman, and UB40. In addition, their more modern influences such as Sublime and G-Love certainly shine through, and hint towards the band becoming the natural heir to the close-knit musical lineage which spawned them.

Frankie
7th May 2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks Joris ... sounds great. I just ordered the EP :p

graemlins/bounce.gif graemlins/bounceblue.gif graemlins/bouncegrey.gif graemlins/bouncepurple.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bounceyellow.gif graemlins/bounceblack.gif

MAYBETOMORROW
8th May 2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks for that link Joris! :cool:

8th May 2005, 07:22 PM
thanks joris

im now addicted to bandelero ............such a cool song :)

Mick_f
8th May 2005, 11:57 PM
Cool link thanks :D

BIG KAHUNA
9th May 2005, 12:06 AM
Go to their album before this latest one: Check out the song WICKED REBEL (off of EVERYTHING YOU NEED --> download here (go to the album and click its MP3 download:

CLick here - select Discs & Lyrics then select EVERYTHING U NEED album (http://www.slightlystoopid.com/index_flash.html)

ALso, the song OFFICER is dang addictive....great reggae tunes!