PDA

View Full Version : How many of us on here are in the US?

Seahorse
19th January 2004, 06:21 PM
There seems to be quite a few new members joining from the US. Just wondered how many there are now?
Our numbers are growing, maybe we will start to have some clout now.
graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif

I'm in Florida

Shiva
19th January 2004, 06:23 PM
im from just out side of rochester.

Jessi
19th January 2004, 06:25 PM
Hi! I am in the US. I am from Michigan, just outside of Detroit, which is a actually a good thing, since a lot of bands tour and come to the Detroit area. I live near most concert venues, except for a few up north, although I am willing to take a road trip. Even if the guys don't come here, but go to Chicago, I could travel there, it's only about a 4 hour drive for me. Although, I would prefer them here in my town! Maybe I could go to both shows...lol :)

Bembo
19th January 2004, 06:56 PM
my auntie lives in baltimore washington dc,i think lol.........
:D
ub till i die ..xx
graemlins/laff.gif graemlins/laff.gif

Jessi
19th January 2004, 06:59 PM
Yeah, we really need some more US fans though! I had to order the new CD online because no stores around here were selling it! They have all of their older stuff, but not the new album.

Jolene
19th January 2004, 09:40 PM
I'm in California.....just outside of San Francisco. :cool:

graemlins/love.gif Jolene

limey
19th January 2004, 11:20 PM
Don,t forget your cousins North of the border.....we are Stateside after all graemlins/friends.gif

Total_Sweet_Babe
20th January 2004, 12:00 AM
New York here :)

kev7840
20th January 2004, 01:07 AM
I'm from the suburbs of Philly, PA

Mike
20th January 2004, 05:35 AM
That's Right Limey! Count me in :D I'am North of the border too, in North America :cool:
"Canada Posse"

Seahorse
20th January 2004, 06:12 AM
Sorry I should have said this side of the pond.
By the way Mike, both Limey and I are both Brits.

UB1982
20th January 2004, 06:28 AM
I'm from Alabama. About 55 miles northeast of Birmingham...and about 120 miles west of Atlanta.

Tandycat
21st January 2004, 03:39 AM
meeeeeeee :D

Hey you from Alabama - did ya know in England they don't pronounce the HAM in Birmingham? (an obscure, useless fact from the Texas bird) ;)

welcome aboard you all

graemlins/friends.gif

UB1982
21st January 2004, 04:20 AM
Hey Tandycat,

How are ya? Yeah, i know they don't pronounce the HAM in Birmingham. I wish we didn't either. It sounds too much like 'burning ham'..the way we say it.

Seahorse
21st January 2004, 04:51 AM
Any American's have the answer for me?
Why don't you pronounce the H in Herbs
And, where did the T go in literally?
My husband can't tell me why, thought one of you might. :D
Just thought of another one, I don't know how you spell it in the US, mauve the colour is pronounced marv. I couldn't stop laughing the first time I heard someone on TV say it, I thought it was just them. After long discussions and many laughs, that's the way you say mauve over here :D :D
I don't mean to offend anyone was just wondering that's all.

UB1982
21st January 2004, 07:11 AM
Hi Seahorse,

I honestly don't know why we don't pronounce the H in herb. Maybe for the same reason we don't say the H in honor or hour. As for the T in literally. I think that's just a lazy tongue thing for us. Perhaps, to be perfectly honest. As for Mauve...i don't quite understand what you mean.

I have one question for you...about the way British people speak. How come some of ya pronounce H as AYCHE but others pronounce it like HAYCHE. And one more...what's up with saying Zed instead of Z?

Anyways. Don't worry about offending anyone. I personally find it funny to make fun of the way i speak. You know the old saying. If you can't poke fun at yourself...who can you poke fun at?

evt17
21st January 2004, 09:55 AM
OK, another question! Why do you Americans insist on taking the "u" out of colour?!! And spelling night incorrectly.

UB1982
21st January 2004, 10:40 AM
Some people think that taking the "u" out of colour and such words like that, dates back to our founding fathers, just after the revolutionary war. That they wanted even our spelling to be different from the British way of spelling. But that's not true. To the best of my knowledge, it's from first Webster's Dictionary. And it just caught on from there.

As for night, i have no idea what you're talking about. I think we all spell night the same. I mean, it's kind of hard to misspell that one.

Seahorse
21st January 2004, 12:24 PM
I got caught with the Zed and Zee on the phone at work ages ago. I had no idea what you called Zed over here, there was no one to help me, and the person on the other end of the line had no idea either. My rescue was remembering how they did it on Sesame Street!!!!!
As for English people prouncing H, ayche and hache I have no idea. I say ayche.
Have I opened up a can of worms here? Didn't mean to honest.
We have great fun in our house, my husbands American, so we both gang up on each other with different pronounciations, and different meanings of the same words. :D :D :D

Tier
21st January 2004, 02:35 PM
I'm in Wilmington Delaware, and have been wondering what happened to them. I saw the Promises and Lies tour in 1995 I think, it is still the best damn concert I have ever been too, PLEASE come back to the US!! graemlins/beer.gif graemlins/friends.gif

Shiva
21st January 2004, 02:43 PM
welcome to loonie land Tier, where everyone is a bit loonie my friend :)

sweetsensation
21st January 2004, 02:44 PM
Welcome Tier :D

Michelle graemlins/love.gif

Rachel1673
21st January 2004, 06:16 PM
ok, better late than never :o
i'm from Texas too but sorry i don't know what the reasons are behind the difference in pronounciations. i'm still trying to get myself to start saying "you all" instead of "ya'll" graemlins/bouncepurple.gif

STING
21st January 2004, 06:26 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tandycat:
[b]meeeeeeee :D

Hey you from Alabama - did ya know in England they don't pronounce the HAM in Birmingham? (an obscure, useless fact from the Texas bird) :D

singerman
21st January 2004, 08:38 PM
i like the completely different words the americans use instead of us, just like.....

nappy= diper

dustbin= trash can

car bonnet= hood

car boot=trunk

arse=fanny

:) the list is endless, rick.x graemlins/beer.gif

Seahorse
21st January 2004, 08:46 PM
Welcome to the bb. As you can see it's a great place graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif graemlins/bouncered.gif

NEPCHOON ROSE
21st January 2004, 09:02 PM
can i pretend i am from the states

my home town is twinned with birmingham alabama

yeehaw ;)

j59
21st January 2004, 09:51 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by NEPTUNE ROSE:
[b]can i pretend i am from the states

my home town is twinned with birmingham alabama

yeehaw :D
love jx

UB1982
22nd January 2004, 05:24 AM
Hello Neptune Rose,

yeah...you sure can call yourself American. If you want to be considered a southerner though...there's a vow you need to take. You need to come to the realization that a meal isn't good unless it consists of beans and taters. That a job ain't worth having unless it involves driving your tractor through a field all day. And also, that the best place to meet women, is at a family reunion. The best thing, of course, would be to drive your tractor to the family reunion, where you can eat some beans and taters and talk to some
women graemlins/laff.gif

NEPCHOON ROSE
22nd January 2004, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by UB1982:
[b]Hello Neptune Rose,

yeah...you sure can call yourself American. If you want to be considered a southerner though...there's a vow you need to take. You need to come to the realization that a meal isn't good unless it consists of beans and taters. That a job ain't worth having unless it involves driving your tractor through a field all day. And also, that the best place to meet women, is at a family reunion. The best thing, of course, would be to drive your tractor to the family reunion, where you can eat some beans and taters and talk to some
women :D

Rasta Roy
22nd January 2004, 12:27 PM
I'm from the central part of Massachusetts. Nice area. We are about 70 miles from Boston and 150 miles from NYC.

NEPCHOON ROSE
22nd January 2004, 12:59 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by UB1982:
Hello Neptune Rose,

women graemlins/laff.gif <hr></blockquote>

ok i have given this some thought

1)beans and taters i can live with
2) no tractor needed in my birmingham good idea though could come in handy.

3)no fields in our birmingham we call them our backgardens
graemlins/laff.gif

4) meeting women at family get togeathers nope beacause

a) i am female
b) the females in my family are deeply deeply scary people
c) the whole of my realtives are really strange people

evt17
22nd January 2004, 02:00 PM
Are we allowed steak with the beans and taters? If so, I'm all for that.

trina
22nd January 2004, 02:05 PM
Well I am from England sadly .. But I just wanna say that I really love the US accents .. can't stand the UK ones (sorry ..lol) ... It even runs as far as TV too .. only this week ER came back on tv for a new series .. and they put another british actress in the show .. I was not very happy to say the least .. when my son asked why .. I said ... I love listening to the accents in the show and now I have to put up with TWO BRITISH ACCENTS in it aswell .. lmao .. maybe I was from the states in a previous life!!!!

:D

sweetsensation
22nd January 2004, 08:15 PM
I got married in Boston Massachusetts USA graemlins/bouncegrey.gif graemlins/bouncegrey.gif

Michelle graemlins/love.gif

caja1
22nd January 2004, 08:18 PM
iam also from the U S A = up stairs attic...
old 1 but hey its thurs ok already!
love
chris xx ;)

UB1982
23rd January 2004, 04:39 AM
evt17...regarding the steak. Hush, you're making me hungry :D

johnny 2 bad
23rd January 2004, 02:49 PM
lol@Tandycat.."can't pronounce ham in Birmingham".. :p

Jolene
23rd January 2004, 09:59 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by senile and insane:
Well I am from England sadly .. But I just wanna say that I really love the US accents .. can't stand the UK ones (sorry ..lol) ... It even runs as far as TV too .. only this week ER came back on tv for a new series .. and they put another british actress in the show .. I was not very happy to say the least .. when my son asked why .. I said ... I love listening to the accents in the show and now I have to put up with TWO BRITISH ACCENTS in it aswell .. lmao .. maybe I was from the states in a previous life!!!!

:D <hr></blockquote>

Thats funny you say that. I love british accents. A neighbor of mine is from London and I could listen to him talk all day.

Lou.B
23rd January 2004, 10:45 PM
oh yes, the midlands accent.
isnt it great.
brummy lou xxxxxxxxx graemlins/bigwink.gif graemlins/bigwink.gif

babyblueyesny71
25th January 2004, 08:14 AM
Add one more New Yorker here!

canadagirl
25th January 2004, 03:51 PM
Toronto Canada here!
I too have been waiting since the Promises and Lies tour way back when. :p

BIG KAHUNA
25th January 2004, 04:52 PM
I'm here in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma...originally from Honolulu, HI. graemlins/smokin.gif

limey
26th January 2004, 03:32 PM
I,m all for being bilingual(that,s what it feels like sometimes.....lol) but what amazes & baffles me is why the yanks/canucks use the word chips for crisps & chips are fries- but when they eat fish & chips they ask for fish & chips & NOT fish & fries........very confusing.... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Jolene
26th January 2004, 11:30 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by limey:
I,m all for being bilingual(that,s what it feels like sometimes.....lol) but what amazes & baffles me is why the yanks/canucks use the word chips for crisps & chips are fries- but when they eat fish & chips they ask for fish & chips & NOT fish & fries........very confusing.... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: <hr></blockquote>

I agree....I even get confused. :confused:

Tianhe
27th January 2004, 02:27 AM
I am from the lovely state of Ohio! FYI for those American's who are watching the race for President, Dennis Kucinich is from Ohio.

Seahorse
27th January 2004, 03:43 AM
I know exactly what you mean Limey.
My husband is American, within our 4 walls at home, he speaks English. The trouble is when we are out and I'm talking to someone who doesn't know me very well, I forget to speak 'American', my husband has to translate for me. It's all very confusing sometimes, same word 2 totally different meanings!!!!!
Redundant = US Repetative - UK No longer required.
Anxious = US Excited - UK Worried
Purse = US Handbag - UK Purse!!!
Pocket book = US Handbag - UK Pocket book!!!English and American (Canadian) really are foreign languages!!!! :roll: :eek: :eek: