PDA

View Full Version : Cover Up and AIDS Awareness

29th December 2000, 02:31 AM
Brian, you mentioned that an organization of the U.N. had requested you to do a song for AIDS awareness and that the song Cover Up is the one you composed for that purpose. Can you tell us how this song will be used in the AIDS initiative--for example, will the song be released as a single with some of the proceeds from the sale going towards AIDS research and organizations? At a health and safety conference here yesterday, we heard the personal testimony of a physician who is HIV positive and acquired the virus through a work related needlestick injury when attending to a patient, despite her taking all the necessary precautions in handling the needle. The source patient died of AIDS 6 weeks after the physician was infected by the patient's needle. This physician has had the virus for 9 years, has had bouts with some illnesses due to it over the years but has been fortunate to still be in otherwise good health and went public with her infection, giving talks at various conferences; she is an inspiration to any who have given up hope. I truly hope UB40's song will be yet another inspiration to the world in finding a cure as well as serving as a reminder of the value of prevention.
Big love always,

Desperate

29th December 2000, 02:31 AM
i think you said it perfectly D...untill there is a cure "THE VALUE OF PREVENTION"
cannot be shouted loud enough!....
"cover up with loving protection,
guard you your love in every direction.
don't give up for fear of rejection,
stand your ground and voice an objection !"

(copyright ub40.7/october/2000)

29th December 2000, 02:32 AM
beautiful lyrics bt that sums it all up i one.too many people are ignorant to this problem,everyone thinks it will never happen to them.classic example from desperate,
i have a friend in milton keynes called andrew he is hiv+ as a result of a prank in a childs play ground involving a syringe what was used by a scum junkie.
Andrew is only 15 years old,
rossy

29th December 2000, 02:32 AM
Great strength in your words, Brian....A powerful message and at the same time very caring.....Something that can be kept close to both the heart and the mind. Just those four lines say so much in so many ways and we can all take something from it in our own ways. Very grateful to you for this taste of the new album. It sparks of the gusto and the challenging nature of your early albums on issues of the heart and soul. Can't wait to hear the reggae sounds that guide it. You're proving once again that your music is real reggae, real and true in words spoken and in the social and human relations issues that are brought to the forefront, and at the same time, we can just relax and meditate in the sounds of the rhythms alone or get up and groove to the max with it--that's what makes reggae so great. Next year can't come fast enough.
Agreed, Rossy, that the disease sadly has become part of the lives of many people even though they are not considered high risk themselves in their own behaviours and lifestyle--they may not be homosexual, they may not be IV drug users, but the disease has crept into the general population through various unique circumstances like what I mentioned and like what you mentioned and many other kinds of situations. The disease is all around us and it's everyone's concern, not just the other guy's.

Big love always,

Desperate

29th December 2000, 02:33 AM
thats the spirit....we CAN actually make a difference...."the louder we scream the sweeter the sound" pass it on.....for ****s sake !

29th December 2000, 02:33 AM
EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU ARE SPOT ON
HAD A CLOSE FRIEND THAT DIE FROM AIDS
YOU HAVE TOO KEEP AWARENESS THERE ALL THE TIME'KIDS OF THIS WORLD NEED TO KNOW.
FOR THE POEPLE THAT DIE FROM AIDS MY HEART AND MIND IS WITH YOU NOW