PDA

View Full Version : Pierre Elliott Trudeau

28th December 2000, 04:24 AM
I'd like to pay tribute to Pierre Elliott Trudeau, former Prime Minister of Canada, who passed away recently. Regardless of your politics and whether or not you agreed with his policies, one of the things I found most admirable about him was his devotion to a unified Canada and his support of the entry of new faces, new immigrants to Canada. When my father received his Canadian citizenship, the then Prime Minister Trudeau attended the citizenship ceremonies here in Edmonton and shook the hands of the new Canadians and their families, including my father and myself. Mr. Trudeau's quest for unity while still having a multicultural outlook to Canada is well worth remembering for time to come and for the future. I hope he is resting well in a good place.
Big love always,

Desperate

28th December 2000, 07:11 AM
greetings D...no question about it he was a great international statesman..and you got to shake hands with him.....i hope you said
"waaaasssssssssuuuuuuuuuuuppppppppp pierre ?"

28th December 2000, 07:11 AM
Yes, there have been some good things happen over the years and meeting him was one of them.

28th December 2000, 07:12 AM
Well said Desperate. As a fifth generation Canadian myself and one who was not even born when Trudeau first came into power, I can say that he certainly has left an impact on Canada. If it weren't for him I never would have learned our Country's second national language. I think it's fantastic that Canadians are coming out in droves to pay respect to someone so fiercely dedicated to this beautiful land of ours. Let's hope we don't soon forget what Trudeau stood for.
Vive le Canada,
Cathy

28th December 2000, 07:13 AM
Very true, Cathy. He is well deserving of the honor being given to him by many.