PDA

View Full Version : Hugh Masekela Concert in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

24th December 2000, 01:32 AM
(Well, I shall DEFINITELY now sing the praises of this new bulletin board because I have tried endlessly to post on the Inside the Web message boards this morning--e.g. Jams--to no avail! Have to get to work now and desperately wanted everyone to know of the incredible spirit of this man and his music before I go. It's not UB40 but I have the understanding that they very much appreciate Mr. Masekela's work so it works out perfectly I think then to post here!)
I was in an absolutely full house at our magnificent and young Winspear Centre--brilliant acoustics--just 7 rows from the centre stage and got a full helping of energy and soul and can't sit still rhythms listening to Hugh Masekela perform. Fantastic concert! The most moving moment was the train song as I could really feel the emotions in how Mr. Masekela's voice transfomed into the sounds of a train with all the sounds bellowing out the pain and anguish of the workers brought to South Africa on trains to dig for hours in the mines bringing up gold that is rightfully theirs but never theirs. The most vibrant moment was when Mr. Masekela thanked the people of Edmonton and Alberta who supported refusal to trade with an apartheid government and when he brought the audience to its feet, dancing and singing and clapping to "I want to see Mandela walking down the streets of South Africa………"--he could have been walking down the aisles of that concert hall at that moment, it was so energetic. The most beautiful moment was the feel-good, love is fantastic feeling of the song "I remember the day when the sun came into my life..." The most electrifying moment was the classic "Grazing in the Grass"...and through all this, the most amazing moment was the entire concert of listening to the very skilled handling of his instrument and the fervor and emotional intensity with which he sings. Incredible man, wonderful sense of humour, and great strength in his performance. If anyone ever gets a chance to see Mr. Masekela perform, you won't be disappointed and you'll feel strength from his strength. It's the roots and origin of so much of the genre of music that we all like.

Big love always,

Desperate

24th December 2000, 01:32 AM
I could feel the energy over here in UK from your post Sandra.
Sounds like you had a fantastic time...can't beat live concerts that are bursting with soul and lyrical power.

Big Up D....

xx http://www.demo3w.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

24th December 2000, 01:33 AM
greetings D....sounds like it was a special gig....we played together in zimbabwe many years ago before south africa was liberated from apartheid....one of the worlds greatest musicians and lovely geezers......have a good weekend...soon be time to break out the snow shoes and huskies eh !

24th December 2000, 01:34 AM
Oh man! Don't remind me, Brian!....yuk! Snow shoes and shovels are us!! But you know what, I seriously think I'll be making use of my "husky" teenager-to-be this year and have him do the heaving of the fluffy stuff for a change.
Big love always,

Desperate