Old 5th March 2011, 07:29 AM
UBloonie

Default Sport and politics

There has never been an Olympic Games that hasn't been without some form of political controversy.

When someone plays for their national team, they're seen as 'representing the nation'. Which is fine, because they want to do well for their friends, families and supporters. I think it gets a bit more complex and murky when sportsmen and women are seen as representing their governments. They may be quite politically opposed to what their government is doing. Or they may have never received any assistance to do their training from their government - such is the case for many British athletes.

I'm deliberately keeping this initial post brief and non-specific for others to elaborate upon.
Sport and politics: your views.

Old 5th March 2011, 06:28 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via Skype™ to nani

For me, the first controversial Olympic Games that I can remember is from history; the 1936 Olympics when silly Hitler had problems with Jesse Owens single handedly demolishing his Aryan ideals.

Then there was the 1976 Olympics in Montreal and the African boycott because NZ was going and had sent The All Blacks to South Africa. (South Africa had been banned from The Olympics since 1964 because of it's refusal to condemn apartheid).

NZ said that rugby union is an autonomous organisation, separate to The Olympics.

The government was largely supported on the premise of 'sports and politics shouldn't mix'. In a rugby mad nation, if the government had banned the All Blacks, you'd be onto a winner if you bet that the National party would lose the next election.

Last edited by nani; 5th March 2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 5th March 2011, 06:35 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via Skype™ to nani

Ideally sports and politics shouldn't mix. Neither should money and sports...and governments shouldn't meddle in other government's policies.

I think governments are too short-sighted and selfish to mix anything with anything.
Old 5th March 2011, 08:59 PM
UBloonie

Location: East London and PROUD..(now SLUMMUMING IT in Essex)

i think the politicians should keep out of sport
we have the olympic in 2012...i cant see what that will do for the area once they have finished....yes ...my beloved hammers will have the stadium but the overall money spent???????????
the whole area had small businesses employing people, but they were all compulsory purchased...it's ok for the owners of these companies ...but not all of thier staff want to work in fast food places......a lot of these guy's are skilled workers or only understand the preffession they were working in

i think i am one of the few that DONT want the olympics

but as for sport in general.....the goverment should keep out
Old 5th March 2011, 09:12 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean M View Post

i think i am one of the few that DONT want the olympics

but as for sport in general.....the goverment should keep out
You're not the only one Dean, remember the text campaign on tubes and buses prior to the decision on where the 2012 Olympics would be held? Text YES to this number... why wasn't there a text NO option? Because the NOs would have outweighed the YES votes. All that money to build facilities that the general public won't get use out of afterwards and this week a report that there isn't enough money in the pot to make training grants to all the would be Olympians anyway.

Add to that a message from Transport for London that commuters should find other ways to get to work for the duration of the games. Excuse me, who the f*ck pays out year after year to travel on the antiquated transport network in the first place day after day ad infinitum, then we're told to bugger off for however many weeks while those idiotic enough to pay huge ticket prices can come and go because we wouldn't want to disrupt their entertainment by trying to do our jobs?

And I'm with you on the other part of this, politics and sport shouldn't mix. But it does, all too often, particularly around these huge, (dis)organised events.
Old 5th March 2011, 09:25 PM
UBloonie

Location: East London and PROUD..(now SLUMMUMING IT in Essex)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine007 View Post
You're not the only one Dean, remember the text campaign on tubes and buses prior to the decision on where the 2012 Olympics would be held? Text YES to this number... why wasn't there a text NO option? Because the NOs would have outweighed the YES votes. All that money to build facilities that the general public won't get use out of afterwards and this week a report that there isn't enough money in the pot to make training grants to all the would be Olympians anyway.

Add to that a message from Transport for London that commuters should find other ways to get to work for the duration of the games. Excuse me, who the f*ck pays out year after year to travel on the antiquated transport network in the first place day after day ad infinitum, then we're told to bugger off for however many weeks while those idiotic enough to pay huge ticket prices can come and go because we wouldn't want to disrupt their entertainment by trying to do our jobs?

And I'm with you on the other part of this, politics and sport shouldn't mix. But it does, all too often, particularly around these huge, (dis)organised events.
i really think that Boris Johnsson is so thick that he will demolish the Velodrome to build a boat racing thing.....he is the guy that decided to have cycle routes (which are a good thing) but paint them blue at £1000 per metre or something.....he is good fun ..but a effing idiot
Old 5th March 2011, 09:50 PM
UB40 Band Member

this was a historic moment in sport and politics.

I remember watching this live.
Old 6th March 2011, 12:01 AM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine007 View Post

What M Said... im F**kin off outta London for the Duration of the Olympics.... and silly Bollocks Boris reckons everything transport wise will be ready & up & running when it happens... Terwat!!!!!! he's killed London even more than Ken Did.... stupid Bikes an all... now id rather have Ken Back!!! at least he cared after all
Old 6th March 2011, 12:05 AM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Soul View Post
There has never been an Olympic Games that hasn't been without some form of political controversy.

When someone plays for their national team, they're seen as 'representing the nation'. Which is fine, because they want to do well for their friends, families and supporters. I think it gets a bit more complex and murky when sportsmen and women are seen as representing their governments. They may be quite politically opposed to what their government is doing. Or they may have never received any assistance to do their training from their government - such is the case for many British athletes.

I'm deliberately keeping this initial post brief and non-specific for others to elaborate upon.
Sport and politics: your views.

yes i agree too, I believe sport & politics deffo dont mix... i was going off on a Tang-gent in last post being a Londoner
Old 6th March 2011, 12:17 AM
UBloonie

good thread. Many thoughts but I'll try not to write a throne speech.

My Neice will be an athlete (likely anyway) in the Olympics in London so chances are, I'll support it for that reason. Yes, I've already funded it through taxes but I don't have the "opt out" button when it comes to that.

Could governments and the IOC spend the money elsewhere...yes definitely. Just look around.

The winter Olympics in Vancouver last year were deemed a success. Canada was deemed a great host, there was a great deal of pride at least just for a moment. Good investment?...not sure. Yes, from a personal perspective in that it was a distraction from reality but no because it's not reality....it's a chance to escape and ignore what's really going on...but maybe we all need that from time to time.

Sorry, completely sitting on the fence on this but good thread.
P