Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 11th September 2009, 10:27 AM
UB40 Fan

I was waking up in a Toronto hotel room. Was supposed to be leaving the next day coming back home to the UK but my ticket was via New York. Got home 5 days later.
Old 11th September 2009, 10:33 AM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenji-ko
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40
It was one of the most political and politicized events in modern times. It changed the geo-political map of the world for a generation. Very difficult to avoid the politics I'm afraid Fi.
I realize that, but I'd rather just read where and what people were doing.

Still....we do not know the truth about that...

I won't write ( sorry Imani) what I was doing but I always think about a certain 11th September 1973...

Salvador Allende, one of the rare democratically elected leader in South America, if not the one, was "replaced" by one of the most violent and cruel leader....Pinochet..

Pablo Neruda, the great poet killed himself few days later after the coup d'etat...

Salvador presente!
Pablo presente!

Hey Kenji..hows the revolution coming along.
Y'know Pablo Neruda was a famous chillean communist, won the nobel peace prize for his political poetry in 1971, this particularly infuriated Pinochet who had made many public threats to Pablo...He actually died in a hospital while being treated for cancer BUT there is a rumour that he was killed by Pinochets secret service....never heard that he committed suicide...
Old 11th September 2009, 11:12 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It was one of the most political and politicized events in modern times. It changed the geo-political map of the world for a generation. Very difficult to avoid the politics I'm afraid Fi.

I won't write ( sorry Imani) what I was doing but I always think about a certain 11th September 1973...

Salvador Allende, one of the rare democratically elected leader in South America, if not the one, was "replaced" by one of the most violent and cruel leader....Pinochet..

Pablo Neruda, the great poet killed himself few days later after the coup d'etat...

Salvador presente!
Pablo presente!
Hey Kenji....feel free to write what you want (same goes for anyone). It's still a free forum, regardless of the viewpoint Fi and myself have expressed on this particular thread. I am just a bit wary of the thread becoming polarised by questions of " who's responsible", Islam etc......which I personally think is another topic (possibly) for another time...perhaps I might feel differently today if I'd lost someone close or I was part of one of the many 9/11 truth commissions trying to ascertain who the culprits were.
Old 11th September 2009, 12:27 PM
UB40 Fan

Was working for an ISP at the time and we didn't have any TVs in the building. Word started to spread around that a plane had crashed in to a building in New York, but trying to access the BBC News website to find out what was going on was a nightmare, as it seems every mother in the country was trying to do the same thing and couldn't get in for what seemed like half an hour (probably 5 Min's). When I did finally get on-line it was something surreal watching the second plane crash into the tower block and the ensuing events that happened after. Have never seen the office fall so quiet and everyone just staring at their pc's without saying a word....funny how it still seems like yesterday even though it is now 8 years ago....

Edging closer to being a loonie
Old 11th September 2009, 01:41 PM
UBloonie

Was working from home at the time as a travel agent. Put the TV on while making a cup of coffee and just stayed glued to it for the rest of the day. I honestly thought it was going to be the start of world war 3. I was on my own and kept trying to ring my husband just for the sake of being able to talk to someone but he had no signal where he was working.
I'll never forget the images from that day.
Old 11th September 2009, 04:17 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via AIM to kenji-ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt/ub40

Hey Kenji..hows the revolution coming along.
Y'know Pablo Neruda was a famous chillean communist, won the nobel peace prize for his political poetry in 1971, this particularly infuriated Pinochet who had made many public threats to Pablo...He actually died in a hospital while being treated for cancer BUT there is a rumour that he was killed by Pinochets secret service....never heard that he committed suicide...
You know...I heard that he committed suicide. He was desperate...
And chilean friends ( I grew up with political refugees from Chili and Argentine) told me that he prefered to kill himself than being taken by the traitors...Just like Allende chose to kill himself than surrender ...

And the tradition when remembering the September 11th 1973, we mention Allende...Present! but also Neruda....

Where this world has gone...It always makes me cry when I think about that....
http://www.loscafres.com.ar/
Old 11th September 2009, 04:22 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Soul
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Salvador presente!
Pablo presente!
Hey Kenji....feel free to write what you want (same goes for anyone). It's still a free forum, regardless of the viewpoint Fi and myself have expressed on this particular thread. I am just a bit wary of the thread becoming polarised by questions of " who's responsible", Islam etc......which I personally think is another topic (possibly) for another time...perhaps I might feel differently today if I'd lost someone close or I was part of one of the many 9/11 truth commissions trying to ascertain who the culprits were.
Yes..Thanks Imani...And you know my opinion about that...it is still the same since september 12th 2001...

Have you seen that documentary directed by Italian journalist ? Will take the reference and get back to you...There are interesting thing in there..
Old 11th September 2009, 04:56 PM
UBloonie

I really do think this thread should be kept as a remembrance thread ... I enjoy the political conversations, but in this case think that there should be a separate post for those matters.

Just my opinion though ((shrugs)) ... seems disrespectful

www.trudiemunnart.co.uk

"Some birds aren't meant to be caged, their feathers are just too bright"
Old 11th September 2009, 05:00 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

Can I suggest you start another thread with respect to Pinochet, Allende et.al.

This thread was meant to be about where you were during this terrorist attack....and paying respect to the THOUSANDS that lost their lives that day.
Old 11th September 2009, 05:09 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallytruly
I really do think this thread should be kept as a remembrance thread ... I enjoy the political conversations, but in this case think that there should be a separate post for those matters.

Just my opinion though ((shrugs)) ... seems disrespectful

Yeah I know what you mean...But is it harmful to talk about the remembrance of a man like Allende and a fantastic poet like Neruda..and the suffering of Chilean people ???

And this is a thread about the major political event of the new millenium..so for me it hard to interact about this subject in another post...it would be like talking to you and looking someone else in the eyes...You know what I mean...?

At the end...I think we should interact without thinking if the subject is appropriate or not..as long we respect each other..and that's what I tend to do...