Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 1st April 2014, 07:16 PM
Über UBLoonie

Default UB40 GLASGOW 31st Mar "SOLD OUT" gig review

PART 1 - Pre Gig (For Gig & video spoilers for those who are going) see Part 2 below comments

Very large Furry coats from store room were wornby me and H at all time due to weather warnings....

30 Mar 7-12 Midnight .....Skulking around dark Glasgow alleyways in our fur coats .... looking for signs of UB40

0 UB40 searching.jpg

31st Mar 10.30 a.m. .... ...saw crew arriving at venue (which we just happened to be walking past on way to bfast ) ...waved at darkened windows and when the wondows did not wave back ... screamed then ran away ....

31st Mar 2 pm ..... went shopping for a suitable attire .....got a text from NUB ..saying she was in the Glasgow area ... going to keep an eye open for furry ladies......screamed ...the day was beginning...

3pm got in a taxi ....driver asked where we were going in our fur coats...we said UB40 are coming to Glasgow ....he nearly crashed the car and said “ OMG UB40 have a very long relationship with Glagow...I didn’t know they were coming”......we said ...”they are fantastic you should get to the show”......hesaid “are you going in your fur coats”....we said yes and being ladies did not mention the K word.....

3.30 pm .....SOLD OUT !!!! photo went up on face book
Attachment 781

4 pm went to venue with grapes for NUB ... who screamed “NEPH “...I ran to her ....big fat furry hug , Fan Fest Director, UBReggaewhistle Extraordinaire, SOUL Rebel ....and a familar Sardonicus ....had a quick POW WOW, then coffee then dispersal for a food/drink/ciggie hunt

6.45 pm ....returned to venue after a few voddies ....NUB had warned us !!!!!!!!.......gasped at the legnth of the queue winding up a very steep hill , climbed to top and stood in line....

7 pm started to go in (well down the very steep hill where i nearly fell as i could not concentrate) ...as we approached....the coats came off...hearts beating ....anticipation screaming .....
Attachment 782
What a fabulous DJ ....who is this handsome fantastically mood enhancing person...????

Attachment 783

He got the crowd going, took some requests and everyone was going wild ...at one point he got the crowd singing RRW ...and that was even before we started.......see below.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLCf2AMLAac

Last edited by nephertiti; 30th November 2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 1st April 2014, 07:25 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Been waiting for this,great stuff.
Old 1st April 2014, 08:19 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Pictures n text jumping out!....Glasgone... But full of good memories for you Neph
Nice read

oLdbOi
Old 1st April 2014, 08:55 PM
Super Über UBloonie

nice one neph thanks.
Old 1st April 2014, 09:25 PM
Über UBLoonie

PART 2 - The Gig

Me and H Looked at front row ....there were the beautiful Jaye (Organiser of the fabulous Fan Fests ), thank you lovely for keeping a space but did not want to come forward and risk the wrath of people’s whose eyes are at a different level), Paula, Soul and NUB ... ...stood next to Fan since80 who is going all the way from the highlands to the next 3 shows ......so all was good

Then you know that music ...the lights dimmed..... I think it was supposed to calm everyone , but the crowd went mad by this time whipped into a frenzy....

Then they came on (Earl first (the epitomy of cool)... then JB waving his gorgeous drumsticks followed by the rest

.....I find my emotions difficult to describe
.....I was actually dumbstruck
....I could not move
....the feeling was so intense ....
THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE......
Serious stuff

The song selection (Is That Robin at it again?) is just perfect on every level – I will not repeat what the Irish reviews said ....and I will not spoil it for all who might be going with the setlist ...

but this was an assault on every single sense we possess...
.....like being hit by a pleasure machine gun ....

The crowd just kept screaming with delight ...and roaring when they recognised the songs....

UB40 looked fabulous relaxed ....and totally in control ...Dunc just smiled all the way through .... they were all laughing and joking so as well as getting your whole body engaged on a music level ....you are watching these totally fit men.....where do u look?

Attachment 791

Duncan’s beautiful profile and long legs, he was hipshakingly swoon making .....his voice , sublime , the harmonies with Captain Robin (who just gets younger with every strum of that gorgeous guitar )....oooh that voice too.... Norman ....I could eat him ..... he is so handsome ...his energy just seems to roar over the whole band .......now that there is no annoying thing happening in front of him....u get full view, At one point Norman and Duncan were singing and it was as if they were made to sing together ...we are now used to the Campbell harmonies ....but this is something else...

Attachment 789

I could watch Tony forever , he has his own mesmerising groove .... I kept trying to focus on him and dance and I kept feeling rather giddy .....

The Brass Trio ...stun ....that is what I can say ...stun ....Pure Class...every move every sound is like a well structured painting .....I love the shapes they make and they are just so utterly utterly heartstoppingly gorgeous ...I love the disciplined sound ...and when I see/hear them they make me think thoughts which I should not repeat ....

Attachment 790

Kingston town made the crowd go wild ....our most gorgeous Brian who BTW is sporting a most flattering new hair cut and was in a white shirt and black velvet waistcoat....but I keep digressing

Earl is simply the epitomy of cool.....he has this sort of conical aura (upside down pyramid) ...he stands in the back , but you can feel it whirling out of him....he sings a brilliant song which I can’t say but suffice to say it is another surprise which got the whole crowd moving to a different feel

JB...last...only as I mentioned him first ...and he was too far away from me ....but boy oh boy does he whack everyone through that playlist like the circus master ....he is quite dangerous as he could probably change the whole crowd's heart beat to beat to the same rhythm.....

Luci , your pics do not do you justice, another beautiful lady - thank you for everything ...Helena thank you for calming my nerves down ...and apologies to the members of UB40 who me and H stalked on the way out of the venue
Mrag was thinking of you at that song
Mich we missed you but I did phone 2iceXX

Well it is kind of difficult not speaking about each song , but I want to give those who are going to other concerts the pleasure of the surprise element which is mind blowing ....

Looking around , here is the thing...
1) The crowd was younger ...and it was not people with parents ...these were loads who were singing along to the songs

2) It surprised the band that many were singing the old songs ...here is the thing...as many were also singing the new songs from Getting over the Storm

3) There appears to be a new look to the stage ...and setting ...as I have said before, ...a UB40 concert is a theatrical production ...Class crew..I love the new lighting and positioning

4) How the .... did UB40 manage to put together such a staggeringly overwhelmingly fabulous show and make it look so easy ...in only a few months .....
Because they are Brilliant and we love them....enough said X X

Last edited by nephertiti; 30th November 2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 1st April 2014, 09:56 PM
Über UBLoonie

brilliant review neph
Old 1st April 2014, 10:16 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to Helena

Great review neph. Was lovely meeting you. Wish we were doing it all over again tonight.
Old 1st April 2014, 10:29 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
Great review neph. Was lovely meeting you. Wish we were doing it all over again tonight.
I know ...I was well fired up last night ......I kept thinking I HAVE to go to another ....
Old 1st April 2014, 10:30 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Fantastic your highness!
Old 1st April 2014, 10:31 PM
UBloonie

amazing review Neph!!! and... lov your little vids ! omg , present arms, love is all is allright, dont let it pass your by , some 1986's songs , some GOTS too.. what a perfect setlist !!!!!!!!