Old 9th July 2013, 01:23 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Default Trust The BBC...

....to get it right,not like the press who love to slag off the beeb.

BBC News - UB40 stars join tribute act for gig in Ipswich pub
Old 9th July 2013, 02:05 PM
UB40 Band Member

There is another side to this as well tom [you're right about the quality of BBC journalism].

BT realized a long time ago how the press works. The story 'band has great gig in local arena' is totally worthless, it happens several times a week. For the press to want to write something about you, they have to be offered something a bit different.

here's an example.

A couple of years back the band did a gig in brum centre to help keep a local venue open that was being threatened closure. I'm sure you remember it, it was all over the press with dozens of articles in music magazines, newspapers, gossip columns etc. it was the most press we've had in years. Yet it was a tiny venue that held just a few hundred. But it generated thousands of pounds worth of publicity.

Not long before this the band had played a fantastic show at the O2 arena in london. Around 13,000 people turned up to sing and dance along to the band, and a smoke-filled back-stage party attended by most of the loonies on this board. There was NOT A SINGLE MENTION of this in the press. No articles about the size of the crowd, no celebration of a sell-out show, not even a single solitary revue of the gig in any publication anywhere, either inside or outside london.

Success obviously isn't very newsworthy.

And even though you can't control the crassly stupid way these chip-paper suppliers print their stories, the fact is that there will be a lot more people aware that we have a new record about to be released and some gigs in the UK than before the ScUM got hold of the story.

From our point of view that's a result.
Old 9th July 2013, 02:30 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Yeah,all publicity is good publicity I s'pose.

Don't know how you put up with it though Jimmy.Stuff that isn't true or stuff that maybe true but is nobody else's business,I'd go ape s**t.
Old 9th July 2013, 02:59 PM
UB40 Band Member

it comes with the territory tom.

My mates are wise to it over the years, so they don't take any notice. Not that I know that many avid tabloid readers anyway.

The only time it can cause a problem is with close family.

you can bet that on the morning of some negative tabloid story it'll be our moms on the phone first. A few reassuring words and things usually blow over.

Our poor respectable moms have had a lot to deal with over the years, from drug busts to bomb threats and riots, radical politics and bankruptcies. but I think they still loves us.
Old 9th July 2013, 03:35 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
it comes with the territory tom.

My mates are wise to it over the years, so they don't take any notice. Not that I know that many avid tabloid readers anyway.

The only time it can cause a problem is with close family.

you can bet that on the morning of some negative tabloid story it'll be our moms on the phone first. A few reassuring words and things usually blow over.

Our poor respectable moms have had a lot to deal with over the years, from drug busts to bomb threats and riots, radical politics and bankruptcies. but I think they still loves us.
"You're still not too big for a clip" as my mam likes to say.

The BT story is on BBC text page 1640 as well.The comments under The Sun piece nearly all back Brian too,as he said in the past,people have finely tuned bulls**t detectors.
Old 11th July 2013, 08:16 AM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondda rudie View Post
"You're still not too big for a clip" as my mam likes to say.

The BT story is on BBC text page 1640 as well.The comments under The Sun piece nearly all back Brian too,as he said in the past,people have finely tuned bulls**t detectors.

Surprised the mankini & ladyboy stories have never made it to the tabloids or should we be looking for some 'top-shelf' publications for those
Old 11th July 2013, 09:56 AM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad View Post
Surprised the mankini & ladyboy stories have never made it to the tabloids or should we be looking for some 'top-shelf' publications for those
Not to mention sacrificing goats on the tour bus.Reckon they've got off lightly over the years.
Old 11th July 2013, 11:51 AM
UB40 Fan

A lot of the negativity comes from jealousy....

People can handle the fact that UB40 are still continuing to sell-out venues and produce quality music despite all what has gone on over recent years.

How many other artists can say that they are still going strong 30 odd years later.... Not many.

I don't give a monkey's what the band get up to, as long as they keep producing good music then that is all that matters. UB40 always stay true to their roots and the fans.... Ok I accept that they have to earn a living, but I believe they continue to do what they do for the love of music and their fans.

Keep doing what you are doing boys....