Old 15th December 2011, 10:17 PM
UBloonie

I think it's pretty lame that people would want to go shopping on Boxing Day at all, what's that all about? However, if the shops are open, then some people will want to go (probably had enough of the mother-in-law already). The reality is that if the central London shops are open then most people will have to use public transport to get there. This shouldn't be an issue in the first place, but the fact is that it is happening so there will have to be a public transport service to cater for the demand.

A skeletal service with ALL workers on double time and a day off in lieu should do the trick. Failing that, legislation needs to be passed banning retail outlets from opening on Boxing Day. I'd back that one to the hilt.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:21 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean M View Post
i think you are missing my point
forget the sales
there are a lot of people that dont have cars and rely on public transport

personally i think all shops should be shut on Xmas day Boxing day and Easter Sunday as these should be family days ....but people do need transport..hence we/they should pay a little extra for for the service for thoughs that are needed to work

what really gets my back up is that pratt Bob Crow with his stike threat during the Olympics ..the guy is a parasite....wow..transport is needed..so he threatens strikes..
most people in Newham dont want the Olympics and need the transport to get on with everyday life..he is holding us to ransom
There won't be any strikes during the olympics Dean.Talks were concluded a few months back and resulted in agreement that tube staff will receive a small extra payment for working even more anti social shifts than usual.Hardly holding London to ransom.The Daily Mail and Evening Standard have a lot to answer for.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:23 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Not just Newham Dean. We are going to bear the brunt of it here as well. And as for the Jubilee line, well that's my route to work scuppered for 3 weeks plus. Anyway, I digress.

In Melbourne the buses, trains etc run on Xmas Day. I have no idea what the remuneration level was when I was there but it was a revelation that people without access to private transport could actually go visit friends/relatives.

This time its ASLEF holding the tube bosses to ransom, not Tom's best mate Bob Crow. What happened there Tom, was Bob caught napping?

I do think ASLEF are demanding over the top compensation. If they get their way, us passengers will bear even higher increases in the next round of fare rises, as the bosses/shareholders won't take smaller bonuses. However, I'm all for fair compensation, though there are plenty of underground staff who don't celebrate Xmas who I'm sure would work for something extra.

Oh and Kelv - I go to the Boxing Day sales whenever I can; after a day in the house with nowhere to go it stops me from going totally stir crazy

Last edited by Starshine007; 15th December 2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:24 PM
UB40 Band Member

I hear what you are saying dean. But I don't agree.

I keep saying about sunday's. When I was young there was no emergency every sunday that meant public transport had to run. It was just a fact of life.

if people want to move around on boxing day, then they should find an alternative. Like they used to do every sunday.

right now, working people are being stamped on. wages and rights are being stifled.

It's times like this that we should be supporting each other. Not complaining about being inconvenienced.

the only power the average worker has is withdrawal of labour.

it doesn't seem quite right to me to take the only power away from them because we might be late to watch people running round a track or throwing a stick.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:27 PM
UB40 Band Member

and the fares are higher because of the dividends and bonuses are taken out of the business. There have been record profits and payouts.

it's completely wrong to blame 'greedy' workers.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:28 PM
UBloonie

Location: East London and PROUD..(now SLUMMUMING IT in Essex)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Warrior View Post
I think it's pretty lame that people would want to go shopping on Boxing Day at all, what's that all about? However, if the shops are open, then some people will want to go (probably had enough of the mother-in-law already). The reality is that if the central London shops are open then most people will have to use public transport to get there. This shouldn't be an issue in the first place, but the fact is that it is happening so there will have to be a public transport service to cater for the demand.

A skeletal service with ALL workers on double time and a day off in lieu should do the trick. Failing that, legislation needs to be passed banning retail outlets from opening on Boxing Day. I'd back that one to the hilt.
my wife works for a local counsell
she has soo much holiday..to fit a day in lieu is impossible
it has got to the stage were she will only work the local funday's/ town shows ..if she is paid money
she is probably losing a few days holiday each year ..so a day in lieu aint an option for her...believe me ..she aint a piss taker..if she leaves work early...she works from home to make the time
Old 15th December 2011, 10:33 PM
UBloonie

Maybe it's just a London thing. We've always had services on sundays and bank holidays - well at least for the last 35 years.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:34 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine007 View Post
Not just Newham Dean. We are going to bear the brunt of it here as well. And as for the Jubilee line, well that's my route to work scuppered for 3 weeks plus. Anyway, I digress.

In Melbourne the buses, trains etc run on Xmas Day. I have no idea what the remuneration level was when I was there but it was a revelation that people without access to private transport could actually go visit friends/relatives.

This time its ASLEF holding the tube bosses to ransom, not Tom's best mate Bob Crow. What happened there Tom, was Bob caught napping?

I do think ASLEF are demanding over the top compensation. If they get their way, us passengers will bear even higher increases in the next round of fare rises, as the bosses/shareholders won't take smaller bonuses. However, I'm all for fair compensation, though there are plenty of underground staff who don't celebrate Xmas who I'm sure would work for something extra.

Oh and Kelv - I go to the Boxing Day sales whenever I can; after a day in the house with nowhere to go it stops me from going totally stir crazy
Christmas Day,no chance!!!!

Mind you,to be honest I think I'd rather work than go to the sales.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:38 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy View Post
Maybe it's just a London thing. We've always had services on sundays and bank holidays - well at least for the last 35 years.
I'm only talking about Boxing Day JJ.We work Sundays and all other bank holidays apart from the 25th and 26th of December and for normal pay.No problem with that.
Old 15th December 2011, 10:43 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondda rudie View Post
Christmas Day,no chance!!!!

Mind you,to be honest I think I'd rather work than go to the sales.
Don't blame you. I avoid Oxford St like the plague at the best of times, let alone during the sales, which used to start New Year's Day. If I do go out sale shopping, I try to stick relatively local. Not sure whose idea it was to change the date though. Greedy businesses no doubt. Maybe they profit share with underground shareholders...