Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 19th August 2014, 06:17 AM
UBloonie

Default Changing his stance, but still full of ****

So, I noticed that Ali's website has changed a few things now. He's now backing down from the "We Are UB40" crap. He's now referring to his band as...wait for it....'Ali Campbell The Legendary Voice of UB40, Reunited with Astro & Mickey'. A bit of a mouthful, don't ya think?! Anyway....here's what it says on his website now....and it's only to let you know that perhaps the legal issue has gotten to him and at least sort of softened his stance. But you can tell by the following statement that he and his crew are still grasping for straws and making stupid claims.

without further adieu....this is what's posted on the website:

" We would not want anyone to confuse Ali, Astro and Mickey's band with the band that carried on using the name UB40 after 2008 made up of other founding members and new members they tried to replace us with in their attempt to trade off the reflected glory of the success of the original line-up.
Only with Ali Campbell, the legendary voice of UB40, reunited with Astro and Mickey can audiences get to experience the closest thing to the sound of the hugely successful original line-up of UB40 as all the hits are played. They can also get to hear these three founding members' and UK reggae pioneers' latest take on the genre. "

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 19th August 2014, 07:41 AM
Super Über UBloonie

{{{{{{{{{{{{deep sigh}}}}}}}}}}}

I was glad to finally found a way to block the shit coming from his camp on my facebook timeline. And now you are posting that shit over here. Sorry Matt and I'm all for freedom of speeche but for some reason I think you really enjoying al this crap. I see you doing it on facebook also.

Don't get me wrong I'm behind them 200% and hope justice will be done and they will win the court case. If they do that's what I wanna read here. Also the new projects Brian was refering to in his post.
Old 19th August 2014, 07:42 AM
Super Über UBloonie

btw I know I don't have to read it.
Old 19th August 2014, 08:32 AM
UBloonie

I don't remember the last time I even posted anything on the UB40 Facebook page. You must have me mistaken for someone else. If I DO speak out on Facebook, it's usually on something that someone else has already posted.

Anyway, no, I don't get a kick out of any of this. I was just calling attention to the fact that maybe Ali is beginning to realize that he doesn't have a legal leg to stand on, so he's started backing off from using the UB40 name. Could be a sign that Jimbob is right....that it's only a matter of time now until justice prevails.

Now....on to bigger and better topics....

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'

Last edited by GefferyMorgan; 19th August 2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 19th August 2014, 08:41 AM
UBloonie

i heard that his song on radio 2 was introduced as His name ,even he knows he could never get away with it. he used the name ub40 to sell gig tickets.
Old 19th August 2014, 10:39 AM
UB40 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GefferyMorgan View Post

" We would not want anyone to confuse Ali, Astro and Mickey's band with the band that carried on using the name UB40 after 2008"
and at the same time as saying that, they create a new facebook page called "WeAreUB40"
Old 19th August 2014, 10:46 AM
UB40 Band Member

exactly right OL and JRS

He put those gigs on sale under the name of his ex band UB40. People bought those tickets in good faith thinking they were seeing us. They were booked strategically around OUR dates that we had put on sale because of the demand from the first leg of our british tour.

He also did gigs in australia and south africa claiming that the WHOLE band had reformed, which was a blatant lie.

he knows he won't get away with pretending he is UB40 on radio 2 because our last album was record of the week on that station.

We have copies of several interviews.

On some he is claiming that he IS UB40 [australian TV, nigeria]. In others he is claiming that he has made it obvious that he IS NOT UB40. It's very easy to put those interviews side by side to expose the blatant lies of our ex singer.

The fact that SOME people [not too many thankfully] have allowed themselves to be corrupted by those [obvious] lies is something they should take a long, hard, honest look at themselves about.

Everyone knows that he has tried to justify his use of the name [because he is lead singer, because he bought all the instruments], and a handful of people have tried to justify it on THIS website.

Now he is claiming that he is NOT using the name. He's changed his position completely, under pressure from our on-going litigation. Changing the names of his website and Facebook page from aldi campbell to WE ARE UB40, and then changing it back again to try and cover up his fraudulent use of the name of his ex band.

While his few brainwashed fans twist and turn to try and keep up with his lies.

If I was one of them I would be saying 'please aldi. Stop doing this. It isn't right and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with you. Your not doing yourself any favours, it'll hurt you in the long run. You don't need to cheapen yourself this way. Your own music is fantastic, you don't need UB40 any more. You left UB40 seven years ago and your better off without them'.

Personally, I think he made a BIG mistake leaving UB40. But that is what he did. Now he has to deal with the consequences.

Last edited by JB40; 19th August 2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 19th August 2014, 10:51 AM
UBloonie

in a nutshell
Old 19th August 2014, 11:14 AM
UB40 Band Member

thanks OL.

Another thing.

In that statement he said that the only way they will get the REAL UB40 experience is at HIS shows.

That's trying to influence people's opinion before they have heard any music. Whatever happened to the 'music speaking for itself' ??

Surely audiences can make up their own mind ?

If we don't deliver the goods then they won't buy tickets to see us next time. Why try to put people off seeing us ??

Not that it has worked because this year has been fantastic for the band. The revues have been phenomenal, some of the best of our careers. And ticket sales are well up on the last time we toured.

We may not be as big as we were in our heyday in the 90's, but the fact that there is still strong demand to see the band live after all these years [and after losing our original singer] is a genuine fkn miracle :bounce blue:

It's very awe inspiring to us that there is so much good will towards the band. And we want to show complete respect to that good will and deliver the best performances that we possibly can.

Reallylooking forward to the next leg of the tour.
Old 19th August 2014, 11:41 AM
UBloonie

so are we jim cant wait. dont suppose there will be any more little gems added to the set list? like ermmmmm Dream a lie or ermmmmm my way of thinking just saying. Oh and just to correct you slightly you are as big as you always were and ok fans have come and gone but that also happened when you did LOL albums. If you talk about record sales now then i agree but that goes with all bands but as a touring band when ubs in town everyone wants to see you guys
Closed Thread