Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 20th March 2014, 01:30 AM
DreamBig's Avatar
DreamBig DreamBig is offline
Über UBLoonie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukguy View Post
Sorry, maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been.

What I mean by my statement is that all of this would have been better off being sorted behind closed doors. Any issues between 1 or more of the band members should have been kept between themselves and a resolution to the problem found.

Of course that's all well and good in an ideal world but sadly we don't live in an ideal world and obviously what ever the differences were/are have yet to be resolved between them all.

I think it unfair to only blame Ali in all of this as in fairness Mickey left straight after him and then followed by Astro recently. So it is undeniable that this is far more than just UB40 v Ali when almost half the band have walked away. Clearly something is rotten somewhere along the lines, we just don't know what that "something" is. That's what I meant by "sad to see UB40 reduced to this"
Ah. I understand what you mean.

However, I do think it is fair to blame Ali. No one else, not even Astro or Mickey, is going to the press to insult or abuse UB40. Ali has consistently done this over the last six years. Therefore, I think it's fair to blame Ali that any problems could not be solved behind closed doors.

In addition, it's very obvious that Mickey has been reduced to session musician status. Since leaving the band, these are the number of names that Ali has gone by:

Ali Campbell's UB40, UB40's Ali Campbell, The Golden Voice of UB40, The Legendary Voice of UB40, The True Voice of UB40, Ali Campbell and the Dep Band, Ali Campbell UB40.

Not one mention of Mickey anywhere. Even in the latest press release where he lies and also insults UB40, they claim that Astro and Ali are the true sound of UB40. Again, no mention of Mickey. Just another reason why I think it's very fair to blame Ali.

From what Jimmy says on here, I have a good idea of why I think Ali left. As for Mickey leaving, I believe he's related by marriage to Ali or something like that. So I suspect he may have been led up the garden path by Ali.

As for Astro, even that is a mystery to me. However, I reckon it was a mix of financial difficulties and no vocals on the latest album that pushed him.

In any case, I've not seen any evidence of any wrong doing by the current members of UB40 or Mickey. Whereas Ali's and to a slight extent Astro's behaviour is immoral and in some cases it can be easily proved that they lied.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 20th March 2014, 04:08 PM
ukguy's Avatar
ukguy ukguy is offline
UB40 Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
Ah. I understand what you mean.

However, I do think it is fair to blame Ali. No one else, not even Astro or Mickey, is going to the press to insult or abuse UB40. Ali has consistently done this over the last six years. Therefore, I think it's fair to blame Ali that any problems could not be solved behind closed doors.

In addition, it's very obvious that Mickey has been reduced to session musician status. Since leaving the band, these are the number of names that Ali has gone by:

Ali Campbell's UB40, UB40's Ali Campbell, The Golden Voice of UB40, The Legendary Voice of UB40, The True Voice of UB40, Ali Campbell and the Dep Band, Ali Campbell UB40.

Not one mention of Mickey anywhere. Even in the latest press release where he lies and also insults UB40, they claim that Astro and Ali are the true sound of UB40. Again, no mention of Mickey. Just another reason why I think it's very fair to blame Ali.

From what Jimmy says on here, I have a good idea of why I think Ali left. As for Mickey leaving, I believe he's related by marriage to Ali or something like that. So I suspect he may have been led up the garden path by Ali.

As for Astro, even that is a mystery to me. However, I reckon it was a mix of financial difficulties and no vocals on the latest album that pushed him.

In any case, I've not seen any evidence of any wrong doing by the current members of UB40 or Mickey. Whereas Ali's and to a slight extent Astro's behaviour is immoral and in some cases it can be easily proved that they lied.
I am not here defending Ali by any stretch. In fact as i said i think he has made a mistake in calling himself UB40 and i also think he will be finding out how much of a mistake he has made by way of lots of pound notes he will need to hand over.

The only thing i do have sympathy about is that UB40 as a purely business entity has not been the best. I guess he sat back and realised that UB40 is no longer relevant to the mass market and they wont be in a position to be selling the numbers of records that they did during the 80's & 90's when they had mass appeal. When you sit back and realise that things were done badly and you have no way to make a mends it is bound to make you angry.

Added to that he was the voice of UB40 and as such was the key stone in the band. Of course that is not to say the rest had no contribution but people seldom buy a record and hum the bass line. It is the singer that makes or breaks a record. John,Paul,George & Ringo made up the Beatles as a whole and all had creative influences in the sum of the whole. The reality is tho that George & Ringo could have been replaced and arguablly the Beatles would still be as succesful. Take Lennon or Mc Cartney out and it would have been a different story. Ditto with Queen and Freddie Mercury, and the Rolling Stones with Jagger. It's the singer that everyone goes to see and the media want to interview. He knows that and from what little i understand he wanted more than just 1/9th of the income (divided 9 ways includes the manager)

At the risk of looking like "team Ali" which i am not any team. If i were him i would have wanted that too as lead singer. In fact i always thought it odd that they had this muskateer attitude to the business side of things and thought as far back as the 90's that it wont last like that. In fairness it lasted 28 years. So i don't know if i should congratulate them in sticking to their principals or ask why they were so nieive. I think the problem is that they are artists, and as is often the case art and business are not natural bed fellows.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 20th March 2014, 04:48 PM
loekie's Avatar
loekie loekie is offline
Super Über UBloonie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Holland
Posts: 16,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukguy View Post
I am not here defending Ali by any stretch. In fact as i said i think he has made a mistake in calling himself UB40 and i also think he will be finding out how much of a mistake he has made by way of lots of pound notes he will need to hand over.

The only thing i do have sympathy about is that UB40 as a purely business entity has not been the best. I guess he sat back and realised that UB40 is no longer relevant to the mass market and they wont be in a position to be selling the numbers of records that they did during the 80's & 90's when they had mass appeal. When you sit back and realise that things were done badly and you have no way to make a mends it is bound to make you angry.

Added to that he was the voice of UB40 and as such was the key stone in the band. Of course that is not to say the rest had no contribution but people seldom buy a record and hum the bass line. It is the singer that makes or breaks a record. John,Paul,George & Ringo made up the Beatles as a whole and all had creative influences in the sum of the whole. The reality is tho that George & Ringo could have been replaced and arguablly the Beatles would still be as succesful. Take Lennon or Mc Cartney out and it would have been a different story. Ditto with Queen and Freddie Mercury, and the Rolling Stones with Jagger. It's the singer that everyone goes to see and the media want to interview. He knows that and from what little i understand he wanted more than just 1/9th of the income (divided 9 ways includes the manager)

At the risk of looking like "team Ali" which i am not any team. If i were him i would have wanted that too as lead singer. In fact i always thought it odd that they had this muskateer attitude to the business side of things and thought as far back as the 90's that it wont last like that. In fairness it lasted 28 years. So i don't know if i should congratulate them in sticking to their principals or ask why they were so nieive. I think the problem is that they are artists, and as is often the case art and business are not natural bed fellows.
Bollocks!!! why is a singer more important then the rest? you forgot to tell what made his voice!!!! His voice only sounded good because the harmonies with Robin. I admire them for sticking to their prinicpals. I would rather play for 100 people and beeing happy what I'm doing then playing for 1000 and beeing unhappy. Think they already have proved the past 6 years they don't need him. He can't without them. Yeahh maybe nog big arenas but be honest these days reggae is not for big arenas anymore.
__________________
Carpe diem
Gerdy
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 20th March 2014, 08:09 PM
kate13 kate13 is offline
Super Über UBloonie
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,095
Default

Gerdy what she said.

UK if Ali was the one and only bee's knees, Why hasn't he been able to repulate his success he had with ub40, Now with the Dep band....If the voice is sooooooooooooooo important.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 20th March 2014, 08:49 PM
old loonie's Avatar
old loonie old loonie is offline
UBloonie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: loonieland
Posts: 2,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate13 View Post
Gerdy what she said.

UK if Ali was the one and only bee's knees, Why hasn't he been able to repulate his success he had with ub40, Now with the Dep band....If the voice is sooooooooooooooo important.
correct. his only saviour is the UB40 name. i never went to see him because i want to see and hear UB40. ffs its so obvious its hitting everyone in the face except the the ones in denial. he aint coming back nor do we f--king want him back he is a prick
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 20th March 2014, 09:16 PM
JB40's Avatar
JB40 JB40 is offline
UB40 Band Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 21,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukguy View Post
I am not here defending Ali by any stretch. In fact as i said i think he has made a mistake in calling himself UB40 and i also think he will be finding out how much of a mistake he has made by way of lots of pound notes he will need to hand over.

The only thing i do have sympathy about is that UB40 as a purely business entity has not been the best. I guess he sat back and realised that UB40 is no longer relevant to the mass market and they wont be in a position to be selling the numbers of records that they did during the 80's & 90's when they had mass appeal. When you sit back and realise that things were done badly and you have no way to make a mends it is bound to make you angry.

Added to that he was the voice of UB40 and as such was the key stone in the band. Of course that is not to say the rest had no contribution but people seldom buy a record and hum the bass line. It is the singer that makes or breaks a record. John,Paul,George & Ringo made up the Beatles as a whole and all had creative influences in the sum of the whole. The reality is tho that George & Ringo could have been replaced and arguablly the Beatles would still be as succesful. Take Lennon or Mc Cartney out and it would have been a different story. Ditto with Queen and Freddie Mercury, and the Rolling Stones with Jagger. It's the singer that everyone goes to see and the media want to interview. He knows that and from what little i understand he wanted more than just 1/9th of the income (divided 9 ways includes the manager)

At the risk of looking like "team Ali" which i am not any team. If i were him i would have wanted that too as lead singer. In fact i always thought it odd that they had this muskateer attitude to the business side of things and thought as far back as the 90's that it wont last like that. In fairness it lasted 28 years. So i don't know if i should congratulate them in sticking to their principals or ask why they were so nieive. I think the problem is that they are artists, and as is often the case art and business are not natural bed fellows.


That's a lot of guess work ukguy.

Record sales have declined for everyone. Nowadays the only way to make money in the music business is playing live.

Ub40 have continued to work after our singer left because we have built a live reputation over the years. To do this you have to have a band. Just putting a bunch of session musicians together isn't the same. They don't have any investment in the music. Real bands create the music they play. There is a much greater emotional investment in the performance. The original composers have stuck together, have reinforced the principal of sharing equally, and are about to embark on a sell out British tour. And with over 20 dates and more to come, it adds up to a few arenas. The band are happy. The demand is still there. And that's why our ex singer wants a piece of it.

Records are one thing, but live is a whole different ball game.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 21st March 2014, 12:22 AM
ukguy's Avatar
ukguy ukguy is offline
UB40 Fan
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
That's a lot of guess work ukguy.

Record sales have declined for everyone. Nowadays the only way to make money in the music business is playing live.

Ub40 have continued to work after our singer left because we have built a live reputation over the years. To do this you have to have a band. Just putting a bunch of session musicians together isn't the same. They don't have any investment in the music. Real bands create the music they play. There is a much greater emotional investment in the performance. The original composers have stuck together, have reinforced the principal of sharing equally, and are about to embark on a sell out British tour. And with over 20 dates and more to come, it adds up to a few arenas. The band are happy. The demand is still there. And that's why our ex singer wants a piece of it.

Records are one thing, but live is a whole different ball game.
When i said "record sales" i was using a very broad brush to paint the picture. Back in the 80's & 90's UB40 had no trouble filling arenas and arguably stadiums too. So if business wise it went bad recovery was almost garanteed due to the mass popularity of UB40. I remember as a teenager being pleased as punch when i saw UB40 graffitied on walls. That was "my" band, i even had UB40 shaved into my own hair as soon as i left school haha but today the band doesn't have that same wide appeal and by that i mean the music buying teenagers. The manority of UB40 fans today are people exactly like me, middle aged with family and jobs that keep them busy.

The last concert i went to was when you were in Cardiff in 2005 with Brian et al in white suits. That night cost me about a grand for 6 front row seats and a limo to take us there and pick us up (awesome night) now i have 't stopped liking your music but my priorities have changed from reading every UB40 interview in the Smash Hits magazine and eagerly awaiting for HMV to open on the release day of the latest album as i did as a teenager to now being bogged down in the usual stuff that parents and someone running a business does.

What that means is that as a customer i am not as lucrative to UB40 today as i was as a teenager. My love of your misic hasn't diminished tho, i am still a huge fan but i and i am guessing many others just like me don't spend the samee amount on UB40 as i once did. BTW i only recently found out that One In Ten is yours through Brians UBTV clips. That is one of, if not my all time fave song, and it was that record that was on the jukebox in my parents cafe as a 9yr old that i became a UB40 fan.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 21st March 2014, 01:23 PM
Sal's Avatar
Sal Sal is offline
UBloonie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bolton
Posts: 4,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukguy View Post
Any issues between 1 or more of the band members should have been kept between themselves and a resolution to the problem found.
Precisely ukguy......and if Ali had of had the decency to do that, I would have had far more respect for him. Unfortunately, he chose to make it a public show of arrogance and childishness. In all fairness to you though, your posts have been written without any venom and most of what you said made sense to me. Wish Ali had of adopted a little more of your approach.....it might have all been a different story now
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 21st March 2014, 01:34 PM
Sal's Avatar
Sal Sal is offline
UBloonie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bolton
Posts: 4,166
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukguy View Post
It is the singer that makes or breaks a record.
Just my opinion here, but I totally disagree with that. It all depends on what is the most important to you music wise. I've always been a lover of music that get's me dancing so for me, it's the rhythm, the beat and the soul (or the reggae in this case...) that comes first for me. Music isn't all about vocals.....no singer whatsoever required in instrumentals and dub.

Anyway, that's just my two penneth, for what it's worth
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 21st March 2014, 03:36 PM
Niggy_Dawg Niggy_Dawg is offline
UB40 Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 266
Send a message via MSN to Niggy_Dawg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Just my opinion here, but I totally disagree with that. It all depends on what is the most important to you music wise. I've always been a lover of music that get's me dancing so for me, it's the rhythm, the beat and the soul (or the reggae in this case...) that comes first for me. Music isn't all about vocals.....no singer whatsoever required in instrumentals and dub.

Anyway, that's just my two penneth, for what it's worth
I agree with this, I remember listening to early demo's of both "After Tonight" and "Kiss & Say Goodbye" from WYFF and Ali's vocals are really hard to listen to, the guys must have had to work on making Ali sound better in the studio, adding backing vocals from Robin ect. as the final versions sound so much better.
__________________
Niggy Dawg
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 (Unregistered)


Forum SEO by Rapid Web Ltd