Old 23rd February 2014, 01:00 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondda rudie View Post
Didn't he do that rap record with the Queen riff on it.
I thought that was milli vanilla Tom
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:08 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post
I see what you are doing anant. And your right. Why should we believe one revue over the other ? But the fact that he didn't connect with the audience is the main point here. A good gig is about more than just technical proficiency. That's the easy part, you just make sure you use good musicians. If a good sound and good playing was enough to hold a crowd then you might as well just put on a record, which is perfect every time. But it isn't enough. I've seen loads of bands with great musicians, but they were boring and the audience stayed in their seats. It takes more than just good musicians to make a good gig. But these things are unquantifiable, like "chemistry" and performance, it's the frisson of watching something happening live in front of you. The interplay between band and audience. If you don't have those things then all the good musicianship in the world won't compensate.

My over-all take on it is this.

Aldi never enjoyed playing live. In thirty years I don't remember him even ONCE come off stage saying it was a great gig. He hated every minute of it. He struggled with his voice all the time, and he never really managed to get comfortable on stage. If records still made money I'm convinced that he wouldn't bother touring. So I'm not overly surprised that he struggles now.

Spot on, I still remember that gig Indian Summer Festival a few years ago, it was cold didn't stop raining and you where the last act so we had to wait a long time before you came on. Felt sorry for us waiting in the rain lol lol but still the crowd didn't leave and even I was cold, very tired because that long walk we and the rest of the crowd enjoyed every minute of it.
I did read a review of a gig Ali did in Suriname, he let the crowd waiting for hours because de promoter didn't wanted to pay for his extra hotel costs because he couldn't fly back. He got bood when he finally went on stage.
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:30 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by loekie View Post
Spot on, I still remember that gig Indian Summer Festival a few years ago, it was cold didn't stop raining and you where the last act so we had to wait a long time before you came on. Felt sorry for us waiting in the rain lol lol but still the crowd didn't leave and even I was cold, very tired because that long walk we and the rest of the crowd enjoyed every minute of it.
I did read a review of a gig Ali did in Suriname, he let the crowd waiting for hours because de promoter didn't wanted to pay for his extra hotel costs because he couldn't fly back. He got bood when he finally went on stage.
I remember reading about that ISF gig Gerdy.Wasn't it on the same day as the Netherlands lost a big football game? If so the boys faced a freezing cold,soaking wet crowd subdued from the soccer result and still managed to win them over.Says it all.
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:38 PM
UB40 Band Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loekie View Post
So there's another bad show. Hadn't heard about that one. The last time ub40 played Suriname it was totally WILD !! A really big crowd, and the noise they made was louder than the music. We couldn't hear ourselves play.

And you make another good point. It doesn't matter how negative the circumstances, you have to compensate with your performance. I remember the gig in holland your talking about. It was summer, but it was FKN FREEZING !! And it's not the first time that has happened. Just recently, a gig in Switzerland absolutely pi55ed down. Like a monsoon. We were on last, but nobody went home before the end. I would have been in the nearest bar after 10 minutes.

We've got a saying which goes. . . Every show is The Lord Mayors banquet.

Which means, every time you go on stage it's the best show ever, because that's what people expect.

At the risk of being long winded and boring, I think there is a simple explanation for all this.

Ub40 are a band, we share everything equally, musically and financially. We all have equal power, and we all get the same reward. Which means we all OWN it equally. That also means we are all equally responsible for our live performance. So, if it's a bad show it reflects on us all. We all take responsibility for it.

But session musicians (like aldis "dep band") don't have the same stake in the music. They don't share the rewards other than a fee for the show, they aren't responsible for creating the music, so there's no creative input. And they are probably good enough musicians to be able to do the show In their sleep, so they just go through the motions. It's up to the star of the show to connect with the audience, they get payed whether it's a good response or not, so long as they play right.

Every member of ub40 care about the music as if it was their own baby.

That definitely is NOt the case with aldis band.
Old 23rd February 2014, 02:18 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondda rudie View Post
I remember reading about that ISF gig Gerdy.Wasn't it on the same day as the Netherlands lost a big football game? If so the boys faced a freezing cold,soaking wet crowd subdued from the soccer result and still managed to win them over.Says it all.
Tom I didn't think they lost the game, hubby wasn't that happy when I told him I booked that gig lol lol we arrived at the hotel just in time so we could see the rest of the game. But is was freezing cold, and didn't stop raining untill very late in the evening. The crowd didn't leave.
Old 23rd February 2014, 02:36 PM
UBloonie

Send a message via MSN to big Mick 68

The end is nigh for Aldi....
Old 23rd February 2014, 04:09 PM
Über UBLoonie

Please please please someone find me the russian wedding show extravaganza..

I just wanted to see the queue at the bar again.

Alright everyone,

just schwinging through.. Salutes!!

Keep the Faith, there is only 1 UB40. Thats right here!

Luv Tang x
Old 23rd February 2014, 04:14 PM
Über UBLoonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB40 View Post

At the end of the show aldi turned to one of the band and said "it'll be shopping malls from now on for you lot". And we never saw him again.

just 1 of many many things..

absolute disgrace.
Old 23rd February 2014, 06:31 PM
Über UBLoonie

sorry 1 more..

Im absolutely Gobsmacked at reading some of the replies on the FB page,& Twitter

Instead of the same old same old its not the same,Talk & get back together crap,It's been 6 fookin years now.. 2 albums/dub albums etc!

WHY!

can't some understand the concept that you can't just Steal a Brand name whilst that Brand name & band and FOUNDING members ARE still touring & making music and trying to make a living..It's not about tarnishing the members that left,They can make music all they like. Its about Stealing and making the name UB40 misleading to people who want to see them.

Im sorry but either they just a bit dumb,Stupid or they have not 1% of Integrity in their lives.. it seems acceptable to steal then to some...

I give up!!!

Old 23rd February 2014, 08:48 PM
Super Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Otang View Post
sorry 1 more..

Im absolutely Gobsmacked at reading some of the replies on the FB page,& Twitter

Instead of the same old same old its not the same,Talk & get back together crap,It's been 6 fookin years now.. 2 albums/dub albums etc!

WHY!

can't some understand the concept that you can't just Steal a Brand name whilst that Brand name & band and FOUNDING members ARE still touring & making music and trying to make a living..It's not about tarnishing the members that left,They can make music all they like. Its about Stealing and making the name UB40 misleading to people who want to see them.

Im sorry but either they just a bit dumb,Stupid or they have not 1% of Integrity in their lives.. it seems acceptable to steal then to some...

I'll agree with you over the comments on FB it's gobsmacking, ahhh just get back together ub40 i don't get the problem...........and it's ubies fault, not that ali left on his own accord.