Go Back   UB40 Forums > General Area > UB40 Discussion

Old 19th January 2014, 11:38 PM
UBloonie

Again who are ub40,the old ub40 will never be the same without the 3 leaving members and the new ub40 will never be the same without the others,you can all argue about who has this and who has that but I think ub40 are doomed,they were once a worldey band but no more.
Old 19th January 2014, 11:38 PM
UBloonie

If they insist on calling themselves UB40 though, I suggest they attach this slogan on their advertisements, "We're not the real UB40....but we did play at a Holiday Inn Express last night!" My fellow Americans should get this one...

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 19th January 2014, 11:42 PM
UBloonie

yeah but to the unsuspecting public who are ub40?
Old 19th January 2014, 11:46 PM
Ubique Über UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmekya View Post
Whahahaha.....we can easily come up with better names for them!
"The FoNiticians"
More like Faux-litition.....
Old 19th January 2014, 11:48 PM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstancer View Post
yeah but to the unsuspecting public who are ub40?

I think that's the whole point in why the real band are pissed off about this. People are going to Ali's gigs expecting to get the full UB40 sound, but what they're getting is the vocals that sound like UB40, but the music is something else. I've seen a few clips of Ali's gigs on Youtube and I must say that Ali's band are ok but none of them can replicate Earl's thumping bass lines, Jimmy's drumming or Brian, Martin and Laurence's wailing brass.....not to mention Robin's harmonies!

“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.” - Robert Jastrow, 'God and The Astronomers'
Old 19th January 2014, 11:57 PM
UBloonie

You see 2 advertising boards they are both suggesting UB40 are playing at the local arena one has ali and astro in picture the other board has jimmy and Duncan on it,now tell me who the public think UB40 are.
Old 20th January 2014, 12:01 AM
UBloonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GefferyMorgan View Post
I think that's the whole point in why the real band are pissed off about this. People are going to Ali's gigs expecting to get the full UB40 sound, but what they're getting is the vocals that sound like UB40, but the music is something else. I've seen a few clips of Ali's gigs on Youtube and I must say that Ali's band are ok but none of them can replicate Earl's thumping bass lines, Jimmy's drumming or Brian, Martin and Laurence's wailing brass.....not to mention Robin's harmonies!
you are so right,but i'm looking from a public point of view,i totally agree with you but everybody looks at the lead men in general.
Old 20th January 2014, 12:21 AM
UB40 Fan

Send a message via MSN to Niggy_Dawg

Quote:
you are so right,but i'm looking from a public point of view,i totally agree with you but everybody looks at the lead men in general.
I get what your saying J, and I agree, to the everyday fan if they see a gig poster advertising UB40 showing Ali and Astro they would believe it to be the real deal. Throw in that Ali plays predominantly UB40 material and the regular fan may well leave the gig believing he just watched UB40.
Old 20th January 2014, 12:40 AM
UBloonie

Quote:

I get what you mean now. You're right. It's going to cause mass confusion!

Old 20th January 2014, 01:09 AM
UBloonie

....mass confusion....

and by having a lesser quality product to 'sell' will tarnish his former band's future credibility.....

nasty and vindictive.... unfortunately, just what we've come to expect I wonder if he feels like if he can't have the fame and fortune he desires, no one else should either...

sunnyb